Doctor Who | Page 47 | The Popjustice Forum

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by RHOPJ, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

If we're thinking about who we'd like to see return, I'd properly love to see them do something again with Paul McGann, as he never really got an opportunity to spread his wings in the role, and I liked what little there was (from him at least; the movie surrounding him less so).

It'd be a nice - and narratively interesting - gesture for him to have more screentime in the role. He looks remarkably well preserved, and it'd be good for the fans to have more Eighth Doctor material that's indisputably 'canon'.

2. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Considering it was Moffat that wrote 'Time Crash' where the 5th Doctor came back, i think it could be quite likely we'll see another multi-Doctor story at some point.

3. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Have you heard any of his audio stories? I've only heard a bit, but he was very good!

An on-screen return would be interesting, since he's the only Doctor that we haven't seen regenerate so he could've looked as old as they like when he did. I'm expecting something for the 50th anniversary - McGann could probably be convinced to appear, Tennant would obviously jump at the chance, and I'm sure they could get one or two of the others.

4. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I know that name...did you used to post on Outpost Gallifrey?

5. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Loving this series so far, another great episode.

I'm guessing the crack will be a running arc through this series, a 'Bad Wolf' kind of thing?

6. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Well, I thought that was a bit rubbish.

7. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

That was great, I suppose the plot was similar to a few other episodes at times (Gridlock and Planet of the Odd both came to mind) but apart from that it was wonderful. The revelation about Liz 10 and Amy's big revelation/action near the end were the high points for me.

And wasn't it nice to see the Demon Headmaster back on TV!

8. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I liked it overall. I don't think all the concepts held together though but I enjoyed it. Matt is going from strength to strength but I think Amy will need a bit of time. She's nearly there but not quite, if that makes sense? It felt very similar to The Long Game to me.

9. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

It felt really rushed to me and I had trouble understanding what was going on. It had some good bits though (none that I can remember at the moment, unfortunately).
    I might change my mind on second viewing. I can see why it would feel similiar to The Long Game. It had that same sort of setting, I think.

10. JadeFan

JadeFan Guest

Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I agree. An easily-forgettable episode.

11. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Good, solid ep - not as fantastic as last week's one but still pleasant viewing. Matt and Karen on fantastic form again and you get the sense again just of a darker, more philosophical series as a whole. Being the first 45 minute episode since series 4 too, it really felt rather short too! Flashed by! So i can see where the people saying it felt rushed are coming from.

12. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Wow well I thought it was amazing! Forgettable? Not at all, Liz 10 and Starwhale can easily become classics, I know I'll remember them anyway. This episode was handled brilliantly, with all sorts of undertones throughout. I particularly liked the whole euthanasia slant towards the end with the Doctor/Starwhale.

13. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

A mixed episode for me.

I generally found it enjoyable, and I like the direction both the Doctor and Amy are going in, some particularly good moments for Matt Smith. I loved the creepy smilers but they should have been used more effectively and the police state environment was done well but they could have developed the idea more. The dilemma in the voting booth was fantastic, but again had so much more potential. Overall, the episode felt rushed, far too many ideas going on and too many plot holes; it was like two concepts rolled into one.

What was with dropping children who did badly in exams down into the mouth of a starwhale that didn't even eat them? Why didn't the population realise Liz 10 hadn't aged for 300 years, or was everyone being kept young? Who created the smilers? Are they aliens? Why did the rest of the planet, including Scotland, manage to leave Earth, but not the UK.

I did like the link in to the next episode, I hope that's a recurrent theme. And then there's the crack...

14. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I liked this episode much more than The Eleventh Hour, but the sheer amount of plot holes were a bit head scratching. Let's count them!

Why were people fed to the beast?
    Just who were the Smilers?
    Just who were the Winders?
    Why did Amy (and everyone else) find the truth quite so terrible?

15. IotV

IotV Guest

Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

To feed it, and keep it alive.
    Dunno.
    Dunno.
    Because it gave them an awful choice - continue to torture an innocent, yet intelligent animal, or commit genocide.

Plot hole for me. How did all the other nations "take to the stars"?

16. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Surely there won't still be a United Kingdom in the 29th Century?

It all suffered a bit from RTD style "far future not seeming all that different to our time" syndrome.

Did anyone spot the Queen Vic signs in the background?

17. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Agreed.
    Russell had a little problem with this in his era, and it really irritated me.
    But i know Steven Moffat (hopefully) will not go there.
    Moffat lives for Doctor Who so I'm thinking he's checking everything twice and wont let us down.
    -x-

Matt Smith is off to a good start, my favorite moment from Eleventh Hour, was when he made the Atraxi view the information about Earth with scenes of the alien threats then asked them who stopped followed by old archives of his former incarnations asked them then he pops through the video hologram of David Tennant and said "I'm the Doctor, run." And then those Atraxi ran like hell. Epic.

18. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I watched it again and I definitely liked it more. I still don't like the way the problem was solved though, it was all so quick.

19. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Enjoyed the episode, and loving Amy already. If anything, I'm finding Matt's Doctor difficult to completely like, though I'm far more interested with what he's doing with his interpretation of the character as written, and that's keeping me excited about Doctor 11.

Last shot of the Starwhale was a bit ropey; reminded me of that hideously bad CGI shot of a warehouse-size lump of meat in Torchwood, but I see what they were going for, and I'll suspend my sheer embarrassment.

Loved that it finally rattled by in 45 mins too - about bloody time.

20. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I absolutely loved it. The minor questions of how the hierarchy of Smilers and Winders got started don't really bother me - it's something to think about, not something to be bothered by. I loved the look, and just the general idea of Starship UK (the market scenes sounded fantastic in 5.1 surround!)

One important thing for me - no children were harmed in the story of this episode. Yes, we initially thought they might be, but they weren't. This brings me back to something that always annoyed me about School Reunion. If you recall, at the beginning of that, the Anthony Stewart Head (heh, word pun) actually fucking ate a little girl, because she wouldn't be missed and because he could. Fast forward to the climax, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the Doctor actually offered to let them leave peacefully, rather than destroy them.

No, I know the Doctor doesn't like genocide, but these fuckers are eating children. Hence, I say they don't deserve the get off of Earth free card - fuck them, burn them out of the universe. As Doctor Tom Baker would ask "Do I have the right?", I say "YES, YOU FUCKING DO!"

All I'm saying is I hope there won't be too many (or any) upcoming cases where absolutely evil creatures are offered the chance to leave first.

Back to this week, and bloody hell, did I love it. There's so much subtext to the Doctor and Amy already, so much to analyse in what if you look at it is a very screwed up relationship, and the scene by the window at the end said so much. When they embraced, when she said "Gotcha"...Amy has been waiting for that moment for 14 years. Now she has it, I'm wondering exactly how's she's going to take what goes with it.

As far as I'm concerned Matt Smith and Karen Gillan haven't put so much as a breath wrong so far, and frankly I don't expect they will. They are both utterly astounding. The others actors in this ep were all brilliant too.

I'm remembering back to how much I enjoyed Rose, and then The End of the World, but then just two weeks after that I was more than a little put out by alien flatulence jokes. So maybe it's a little too soon to say, "Holy shit, I think they're all going to be this good."

But you know what...

Holy shit, I think they're all going to be this good!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.