Doctor Who | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by RHOPJ, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I suppose, technically, with all the time travel, even if they're defeated, they can still keep cropping up.

2. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

One of the best Dalek adventures is the 10th Doctor novel Prisoner of the Daleks - it's a big old proper sci-fi space epic. Brilliant stuff!

3. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

The novelisation of Remembrance Of The Daleks is my favourite Dalek book.

4. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I didn't feel dissapointed by this episode... but it didn't make me go 'Oh my god wow!' to the degree the first two episodes did.

The patriotic emotional stuff was all very done but i found the pacing wayyyyy too fast. The episode seemed to be over almost before it had got going.

LOVE the new Dalek designs though!

5. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

It just seemed to be an excuse to explain the return of the Daleks.

The 'crack in time' stuff is getting boring too. It should be way more subtle.

6. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Agreed, i'm not liking how they so obviously shoe-horn the crack thing in every ep.

7. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Was this episode 40 minutes? I'm sure last week's was too. Surely they should be 43-45 minutes?

It was okay tonight but very rushed and the concept of Daleks in wartime Britain was wasted.

I don't like the big fat, retro looking Daleks. It's even more annoying that they don't appear to have re-designed the Cybermen this year and they needed it more!

8. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I enjoyed that. I think the Daleks needed a bit of a reset anyway! From what I've seen so far, fans loathe the new Dalek design, which is unfair though I must admit that I prefer the RTD era versions. I think next to the Hartnell/Troughton Era Daleks, they're the best.

9. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I'm starting to wonder if the TARDIS is what's leaving the cracks everywhere it goes...

I enjoyed the episode, but I agree that it felt rushed. Maybe it should have been a two-parter? I'm glad the Daleks are back 'out there', ready to pop up when we least expect them! I wouldn't mind Churchill appearing again either, he was wonderful.

10. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

WOW, that episode went rather too fast.

The pacing was just a mess to be honest. For the size of what could've been a great plot was entirely cut. I didn't feel like there was any MASSIVE thing at stake ( i know the entire earth was gonna be 'blown up', duh.) but there was no intense feel around the Daleks.

When all the colourful Daleks rolled out i immediately (don't judge me) thought of the teletubbies! haha ...not my most adult moment i must say.

I'm thinking that Big, Bright, Primary colours are not and will never be threatening. The Daleks did openly and honestly look like plastic toys. (not a good thing).

I do love the development of Amy and the new Doctor though.  overall the episode was a 'little' messy, but i did enjoy watching it. I wish they would bring back the two episodes per plot thing again like they did in classic Doctor Who, if you know what i mean...

11. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

It was a good episode but nothing special, first episode has still been the strongest so far.

12. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Did you all enjoy my cameo? Popjustice moderator by day, world saver by night.

13. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

He makes a really good Doctor!

14. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

Someone at Doctor Who HQ needs to be brave and take the plunge: stand up, and tell everyone that they're getting rid of the Daleks and the Cybermen. I understand the place they take in Doctor Who's history, but they are just that: history. Neither monster is even remotely scary anymore due to their horrendous overuse. They take up room in the programme's schedule where writers could be busy writing up new, scary, interesting monsters that could build their own legacy. I'm positive many people working on the programme feel the same way.

I liked tonight's episode but once again, the Daleks "fell through time", once again the Daleks got away, once again we got about fifteen minutes of the Doctor telling us how scary they are and what do they do? Kill two nameless security guards and plant a bomb that can be convinced that it's human rendering it useless. I'm sure that if I was a child i'd be sitting there tutting as well.

GET RID OF THEM. PLEASE.

Also, the new design is utterly dire. Why is Steven Moffat so keen to make everything so retro? I don't particularly mind anymore I can bet my bottom dollar that they're putting off the average viewer.

Wow, I didn't think i'd ever rant for that long about Doctor Who. My apologies.

15. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I enjoyed this; not as much as episodes 1 and 2, but I'm getting indifferent to the Daleks alongside most people.

The only Dalek episodes I've really enjoyed have been the three from Series 1 and the two-part finale in Series 2. The finale for Series 4 was okay, but I would have preferred it to be the end of them.

I have a horrible feeling they'll make use of the Daleks again for the finale again. I'd really welcome them being rested for at least 3 or 4 years.

16. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

If the Daleks return for the series finale I will lose a lot of faith in Steven Moffat as a writer. Of course that's a hyperbole. But i'd love for a different finale, for a new threat to the universe.

I am very excited for next week's episode though. River Song!

17. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I was more excited about tonight's episode than the previous two. A Doctor isn't a Doctor until he fights the Daleks. Unfortunately, the new Doctor was beaten by these new Daleks, which is a shame. I still prefer Russell's version of them. They look threatening.

18. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Actually I find it most shocking that they have managed to resurrect the series, create a new culture around the show and be wildly successful, yet haven't managed to write a new 'big bad' with a decent mythology.

I thought tonight's episode was crap, by the way. As a casual viewer it felt very much like a token nod to the Daleks and somewhat badly written. The way they have to write the scenarios for the Dr and the Daleks square off against eachother are becoming more and more ridiculous.

19. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I suspect the budget wouldn't stretch to two episodes of wartime Dalek CGI action.

20. Re: Matt Smith IS The Doctor! (And Other Doctor Who Related Stuff)

I quite enjoyed it but it just never really got going.

The problem was that the story had a great set-up but once the 'reveal' happened they were lumbered with all the 'Time war and Daleks destroyed but few aren't' back story and really they were just trying to wipe the slate clean... which they did. The Daleks are properly back and out there now and there's kinda free reign for writers to do what they like.

I actually really like the new slightly more 'gothic' tone to the series.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.