Donna Summer | Page 104 | The Popjustice Forum

Donna Summer

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by idratherjack, Mar 17, 2007.

1. It is, with extra cowbell. I do wish they'd kept the sax riff though.

2. So I’ve just listened to the Donna Summer album for the first time and…I’m a Rainbow was the better project.

diegolcl and tylerc904 like this.
  3. The Donna Summer album, is not one of her best, certainly from the 80s. Good few singles and that's about it.

Kaz D'Oerba and tylerc904 like this.
  4. The thing about the self-titled album is it's mostly blah, but State of Independence. Whew. I think it's one of the best productions of the '80s. So powerful. A pre-cursor to We are the World with an all-star backing choir (and Quincy Jones as producer). And far superior, too.

Kaz D'Oerba and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  5. Yes, truly an iconic moment for Donna this and then some.

6. The self titled is my least favorite of her 80's albums. It has great moments but is rather bland overall.

Kaz D'Oerba likes this.
  7. It’s just strange because I like Donna, and I like a lot of Quincy Jones’ 80s productions, but the both of them together just did nothing for me outside of one or two tracks.

8. I've just listened to I'm a Rainbow - Recovered & Recoloured, and it's a nice surprise. Some of the tweaking falls flat, but there's just enough inspiration to make this fun. Back Where You Belong has been reborn, and I love how forward in the mix her vocals are here - and rightfully so!

Mysteriously, my vinyl is opaque blue rather than clear as advertised, but I'm not unhappy about it.

WhatKindOfKylie? likes this.
  9. Looking forward to the CD edition finally coming out this month too!

10. I’m still confused about the blue vinyl being released for National Album Day last month, but still not fully released on streaming and the CD not being out.
    Surely this will impact the charts position as I’m sure a lot of fans would have just bought this vinyl last month.

11. Finished listening to all of Donna’s discography and Crayon’s is quite good isn’t it?

12. Yes, shame it was alas her final ever studio album too. Always think the gap of studio albums between 1991-2008, was such a waste.

idratherjack likes this.
  13. I hate that huge gap between studio albums too. Donna should have been a 90s dancefloor diva, her voice was made for those big anthemic house songs.

14. When you consider how many early 90s songs sampled/stole from the disco the greats, and the number of guest vocal performances - Donna could really have reinvented dance music again with great tracks to dance to.

15. Exactly that. Hey ho.

idratherjack likes this.
  16. Yes! When I was discovering her back catalogue last year I was really surprised there was pretty much a cut off after 1994 when those new songs on Endless Summer pretty much summed up what I’d expect from 90s Donna Summer, shame we didn’t get more from her that decade.

17. Melody Of Love, what fantastic song.

18. So after some review, I think I can say that Bad Girls, All Systems Go, and Crayons are my favourites from Donna, while A Love Trilogy, Donna Summer, and Mistaken Identity were probably my least favourites.

tylerc904 and WhatKindOfKylie? like this.
  19. Bad Girls, is truly a masterpiece. Still sounds fresh even now. And that artwork:
    [​IMG]

Iconic.

Vasilios and idratherjack like this.
  20. Exactly. Con Te Partiró... the girls didn't know what hit them.

idratherjack and tylerc904 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.