Downton Abbey | The Popjustice Forum

Downton Abbey

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Mikal, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Starts in September. The press have seen advanced screenings held at Highclere Castle this week and reviews are popping up everywhere - the least spoilery teaser is probably The Guardian's one.

Basically it begins mid way through WWI in 1916 and we'll get to see Thomas and Matthew fighting in France. Thomas is 'traumatised' and desperate to get back to Downton. This series is supposed to be a bit darker and we'll see how the lives of the upstairs bunch are affected by the war. Every major character is back with a couple of newbies too. All in all it should basically be the TV event of the year. I'M SO EXCITED.

2. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

I'm so excited for this, like, SO much. I didn't watch series one on the first run, but they showed them all on ITV in one big bunch around Christmas time and I got absolutely hooked.

Dowager Countess of Grantham for her own spinoff!

3. jtm

jtm

Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

I just finished watching the first season on DVD. I obviously bought it for the fabulous Maggie Smith, and while I loved all of her scenes, it's the downstairs people I like most. The episode about Mrs Hughes and the storyline with Mrs Padmore were really amazing.

The trailer for season 2 looks so great, I can't wait for it...

4. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

I have never seen this but. Is it a program that gives you a warm feeling?

5. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

It's got a big heart but of course there are a couple of storylines which are tragic. There are numerous bitch characters though, you'd love it Betty!

6. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

Well you know me too well UnderPressure i don't suppose there are any tarts in it?

7. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

Ridiculously, monumentally excited for this.

Fully intended to rewatch series one in the run up to it, but just not got around to it.

8. jtm

jtm

Yes, me too. Very excited! But my roommate hates it, so I have to record it and watch it when he's not home.

9. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

This has been getting so much press, if it doesn't get 10m+ for the first episode I'd be surprised.

10. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

It was a bit slow to get started, and I HATED the music and sweeping shots every single time a character came on for the first time, but after the first part it got going and I loved it.

Anna & Mr. Bates are meant to be together, I hope evil Mrs. Bates is this series' random sex casualty like the Turkish guy in Series One.

11. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

I thought it was alright, too many adverts.

12. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

Me too.

I loved the episode, you know the writers live for when they get to write for Maggie Smith. She made me laugh out loud at least 3 times.

13. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

"You're a lady, not Toad of Toad Hall!"

Amazing.

14. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

[quoteauthor=Tribal Spaceman link=topic=34450.msg1808933#msg1808933 date=1316986817]
    "You're a lady, not Toad of Toad Hall!"

Amazing.
    [/quote]

As a special feature on the DVD they need to include a reel of just Maggie Smith's lines. Make it happen ITV, please and thank you!

15. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

My favourite line this week was:

'Touch wood'
    'I've never stopped touching it'!

16. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

I would love that.

Haha! I knew someone would bring that up. If only TV Burp was on at the moment.

17. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

Episode 2 was better.

Not sure if I'm liking this series as much though.

18. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

I usually love stuff like this but Downton Abbey is pretty bad. Bad enough that I stopped watching after the first episode.

It's like a parody of itself and the writing is shockingly simplistic and obvious.

I couldn't watch any further after that awful but where the soldier stood up and something along the lines of....

'There's no telling who's next. It could you at any time'

Only for him to be shot in the head just as he finished the sentence. I groaned and deleted it from my Sky+.

It reminded me of that nonsense last year when the cook was going blind. A fact I worked out 30 seconds in but they dragged on for another 3 weeks as if we were idiots.

Bring back 'Upstairs Downstairs' now.

19. Re: Downton Abbey (series two)

I trust you're leaning on heavy irony there? Because didn't they do that last Christmas? And wasn't it in fact widely regarded as shit and not-as-good-as-Downton?

Sorry you're not with us for this one Baby Clyde, but I'm still loving every moment of it. I only roll my eyes when it finishes and there's a 7-day wait for more.

20. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

It's enjoyable fluff, but it's increasingly feeling like a French & Saunders parody. Downturn Abbey. Maggie Smith has now been reduced to delivering one liners and put-downs in place of any sort of development or characterisation. The 'evil' characters are steps away from uttering 'Mwah-haha' and twirling an imaginary moustache.

I'm not going to stop watching it though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.