Drag Race Down Under | Page 39 | The Popjustice Forum

Drag Race Down Under

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Tiger Suit, Aug 27, 2019.

1. In theory I don’t have a problem with them bringing Art back since she’s a lot (a lot) more charismatic and fun to watch than any of the other finalists. The manner in which they went about it, however, was bizarre.

By not explaining why she was brought back, they’ve robbed her of a satisfying arc and neutralised her as a threat - she’s essentially been out of the competition since her return, like Roxxy at the end of her AS2 run. And by refusing to give us any indication about how Art herself feels about her initial flopping and then second chance they’ve also robbed her of any storyline potential - she’s inhabiting this weird comic relief role where the other girls joke about her presence but Art appears to have no thoughts on her own weird arc at all! It’s whiplash inducing to go from the passionate, devastated queen of her elimination episode to the happy-to-be-there background character she is now, in the space of like, one episode.

To add to the disorientation, you have Karen inhabiting a pretty safe, front runner niche this whole time despite the fact there is nothing she does that Art can’t do much better. It’s mystifying that production chose the former over the latter as their sacred cow.

Remorque, tea, aaronhansome and 29 others like this.
  2. It's possibly because Karen is somehow one of the most famous Aussie drag queens abroad. I had heard about her for years, never looked her up but I knew the name Karen From Finance. I assumed she was like an Aussie version of Charity Shop Sue.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Martyn, blod and Andrew.L like this.
  3. Art could never deliver anything as iconic as Miss Roxxxy's verse on Read U Wrote U (assuming of course the final challenge is a remix of a Ru song). But I absolutely agree.... Art is kind of there and that's all. Its really, really weird.

4. Uno

Uno

She's only famous (to my knowledge, at least) because Trixie & Katya loved her name and mentioned her tons of times during their shows because they thought it was "the best drag name ever". Other than that, I don't think she's actually done anything to warrant any big recognition.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    LPT, Overdose, 4Roses and 6 others like this.
  5. Karen does have an amazing drag name. I don't think her drag character is developed though. If you just think of all of the possibilities with character that she could do based on office dynamics she has so much material to work with. Even the name Karen gives her so much to develop on.

6. Well she's already got the racism down.

Remorque, tea, LPT and 14 others like this.
  7. I don't think this is fair. There's an Instagram post from her on this and she's been active on promoting causes on matters of race. She's apologised, gone beyond just saying 'sorry' and has taken actual steps to learn, grow and to be an ally.

8. It’s good that she’s taking steps to make amends, but that’s also what a lot of Karens who get caught do, especially ones whose livelihood depend on public opinion.

LPT, Andrew.L and TheOnlyOne like this.
  9. I can think of a lot of public figures (including another candidate on DRDU) who say sorry and then don't follow it up with concrete actions.

So I don't think those that go beyond saying sorry should be maligned for it. Save it for those with crocodile tears.

Mikey1701 likes this.
  10. I hear you, but I was mostly pointing out the irony of someone saying she could take on more Karen-like characteristics when she has a racist past of her own.

LPT likes this.
  11. Karen being safe...with that

[​IMG]

Remorque, tea, aaronhansome and 24 others like this.
  12. Episode 7. What a crock of shit.

Keep Rhys, the New Zealand queens and maybe Art. Bin the rest.

Andrew.L, blod and Pink Frost like this.
  13. At least it kept us safe from having to see her lip sync again.

Holly Something and Pink Frost like this.
  14. Votes on WOW Instagram page:

Kita Mean 9,890
    Art Simone 2,907
    Scarlet Adams 2,676
    Karen From Finance 1,751

Uno, Overdose, 4Roses and 11 others like this.
  15. Who’s betting on Kita being eliminated midway through the finale and leaving that top 3?!

Uno, mattieh, Serg. and 7 others like this.
  16. Honestly I've had a sinking feeling for ages that they'll end up at a top 2 and it'll be Scarlet and Karen.

Pink Frost likes this.
  17. Kita is the only choice really.

Unless they want to go for a "for the first time in herstory" your winner got eliminated, brought back and won no challenges and crown Art.

18. I know that Kita Mean is the lesser of all evils here, but nothing about her excites me at all. I would honestly rather Art win.

I think the only good thing to take from this series is Anita and Elektra possibly popping up on a future International All Stars...

19. Kita is a great drag queen but her lip sync is not great, so hopefully that will not be what the judges base their decisions on.

That said the only queen in the final who is a good lip syncer is Scarlet and that would be a worrisome.

Pink Frost and Andrew.L like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.