Drop-down adverts

Popjustice

Staff member
he/him
I'm afraid I can't really take ads off the site simply because you find them annoying but if you feel they're broken in some way - dropping down when they shouldn't, for example - please do let me know.

Thanks!

That's what I meant - they keep opening just because the cursor might go near them, and covering the screen when I try to look at the forum sections.

(I also think the Professer Green one last week had something to do with buggering up my iTunes, as it linked directly to their store).

EG.

Popjustice

Staff member
he/him
I tend to think that if you roll over an ad and it expands, it should retract again when you take your mouse off it. There was one last week, I can't remember which, that you couldn't close or something, and there have been ones in the past that start playing sounds automatically and all sorts of old shit. When those appear either I notice them or someone on here does, or someone emails me, and I get in touch with the ad team who will take appropriate action. Like I say, it's the sort of thing I can only really do if an advert is in some way broken or doesn't work properly. Re linking to iTunes, what was the problem you experienced last week? I've noticed a lot of banners these days link directly to iTunes - what happened when you clicked it?

The Professor Green one seemed to link not only to iTunes store, but wanted to play a preview or something and when I closed the window (or cancelled the link opening, I forget which), I'm thinking my iTunes/mp3 preferences got reset, because the next time I launched my iTunes library (later that day), a message came up saying all my settings had been altered and would I like to reset them.

As I said, it could have been coincidence. Drop down ads do usually retract.

EG.

Not that I want to take from Peter's revenue or anything but if they annoy to the point where you would like them removed then Ad Block Plus is what you're looking for. It's free and it's easy.

If someone thinks these ones are bad then they should have been here for the Santogold advert a year or so ago.

Numerology said:
Not that I want to take from Peter's revenue or anything but if they annoy to the point where you would like them removed then Ad Block Plus is what you're looking for. It's free and it's easy.

I am fundamentally opposed to the concept of Ad Block. It's the web equivalent of pirating mp3s.

Oh god the Swedish House Mafia one has slumped to new levels of evilness, every time my cursor so much as brushes it, it starts playing some crappy trance tune! This is not so good when you are having a sneaky browse in work as I do frequently!

I

IotV

Numerology said:
Thanks for the link!

RJF said:
Did she vomit gold glitter all over the screen?

No, the advert played music every single time you clicked on to a new screen, then after you'd clicked stop and been on the page for a while it started again. It was awful.

trampvamp said:
Oh god the Swedish House Mafia one has slumped to new levels of evilness, every time my cursor so much as brushes it, it starts playing some crappy trance tune! This is not so good when you are having a sneaky browse in work as I do frequently!

Mine has started playing at random times. Scary stuff.

Daneeeboy said:
Numerology said:

I am fundamentally opposed to the concept of Ad Block. It's the web equivalent of pirating mp3s.

No, it's the web equivalent of buying a newspaper and cutting out all the advertising. It's not illegal by all means.

I'm using ClickToFlash by the way.

apn said:
Daneeeboy said:
Did I ever say it was illegal? No.

Yes you did, you said it's "equivalent to pirating MP3s". Which is illegal.

I meant in that it's morally questionable because while it doesn't technically impact upon the creatives behind the work, it is still biting the hand that feeds you and wanting something for nothing. Sites like Popjustice aren't charities.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

Daneeeboy said:
apn said:
Daneeeboy said:
Did I ever say it was illegal? No.

Yes you did, you said it's "equivalent to pirating MP3s". Which is illegal.

I meant in that it's morally questionable because while it doesn't technically impact upon the creatives behind the work, it is still biting the hand that feeds you and wanting something for nothing. Sites like Popjustice aren't charities.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

It's not a matter of morals. Popjustice (and lots of other websites) get revenue from advertising, I get it (advertisers pay even if I hide their ads anyway). It's just that some banners are way too obnoxious and somehow force the viewer to hide them, or remove them altogether.

Some websites offer beautiful, thought-out ads which make you want to click them. Some other put ads that just get in your way.

But you can drive down the CPM. At the end of the day, blocking out all the ads because some are badly designed impacts negatively upon the web advertising industry, and that is passed on to creatives. Just like downloading an mp3 seems harmless in isolation and can be justified until the end of time, but as a wider issue has real consequences.

Yes, it's an issue. And it's usually one that is out of the hands of the site owner.