Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia (The album of a generation!) | Page 860 | The Popjustice Forum

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia (The album of a generation!)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by strangekin, Nov 28, 2018.

1. I just played a little playlist of my best bits of the era - the singles, Pretty Please, Love Again - as my soundtrack to the final moments of 2020, so of course I had to ring this hellish year out with Don't Start Now (Live in LA), and it just felt so... right.

Dua Lipa has truly been the greatest thing about 2020. A blessing. Happy new year girls!

Sam, Neon Green, dirtypony and 16 others like this.
  2. RMK

RMK

She's put so much content into this campaign for the past 12 months, and.. It isn't even over yet. There's still a re-release, collaborations, and (hopefully) a tour to come.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  3. Dua must've filmed a lot of content on the day that she filmed Studio 2054, tbh.

Sam, Jordtayylor, QueenB and 2 others like this.
  4. Honestly it speaks to how she's managed that they had an entire list of promo appearances lined up that far in advance and realized they could shoot all of them there since the venue was booked anyway

Sam, vendredi, adrielsaul and 15 others like this.
  5. Resourceful queen! Evergreen hits and shooting sets.

Sam, Mikey1701, adrielsaul and 17 others like this.
  6. She's the gift that keeps on giving!

7. The song is also #11 on US Spotify.

8. But Dua is ‘OnLy SuCcEsSfUl BeCaUsE oF pAyOlA’

9. I may have contributed to about 20 percent of those streams yesterday.

10. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Has anyone even said this?

ItBeats, Sam, Smooth Criminal and 7 others like this.
  11. It’s nonsense but yes.

12. The funniest part of the "payola" discourse is how fans think it applies to everything from iTunes figures to YouTube views to streaming figures. Payola is specifically only about radio play, but I see them on twitter trying to claim its payola when she gets playlisted, which it is not. They throw the term out without even knowing what it means.

13. Quite a lot, surprisingly.

Dua has literally billions of streams, yet people want to discredit the simple fact lots of people listen to her music. It’s bizarre.

elektroxx and superloves like this.
  14. I can't wait to see how high Levitating charts now that Christmas is over.

Sail On, Ashling92 and QueenB like this.
  15. The absurd thing is that streaming is still democratic. Sure the playlist positions are also a work of PR and stuff but in the end people still skip/decide on what they want to listen. Dua Lipa is played constantly all around the planet because people relate to her music and the music is good. Does the label do some work? Yes and thats its job. But does the music carry on behind that? Yes. Otherwise it would all drop like hot stones within days or weeks.

But in the end it’s frustrated and jealous fans of other artists. Nobody in the real world even cares. They just put on Future Nostalgia because it’s a bloody amazing album.

16. Levitating is #8 on US Spotify. They need to push it a little bit more, it has a chance of topping the chart if she performed at the Grammy’s.

17. I mean, the same was said during the big payola scandal about how people could just change the station if they didn't like the song. I do think streaming is becoming less democratic as time goes on, but that's a normal part of how major labels operate.

I don't think it applies to Dua as much.

Tracy Jacks likes this.
  18. If Payola (or favourable play listing) worked Bebe, Camila, Charlie Puth, Shawn Mendes etc would have been having number ones - but they really don't. You get good play listing after a smash but once you release trash the next one doesn't.

19. Levitating was in my top 5 of most played songs of 2020 and this performance made me fell completely in love with it again. I just wanted to get up and dance. I think I'm gonna learn the choreo because it's so good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.