Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia | Page 442 | The Popjustice Forum

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by strangekin, Nov 28, 2018.

1. That it’s basically coming next month.

eatyourself, QueenB and sjoerd.. like this.
  2. Dua doing a reggaeton song with J Balvin and Bad Bunny. That's unexpected.

elektroxx likes this.
  3. It's kinda of a natural step after No Lie and My Love. I need it Dua.

4. RhythmNative

RhythmNative Staff Member

I hate to use this analogy when referring to art, but ultimately what’s different about purchasing/streaming an album to buying a painting, is that there are elements to the purchase (ie. album tracks) that aren’t yet revealed to you.

It’s more like buying say, a coffee maker. If you buy one from (example) Nespresso, and it’s disappointing - you are much less likely to buy your NEXT one from Nespresso even if the advertising for Nespresso’s NEW coffee machine (which serve the same purpose as an album’s lead single) is amazing.

So if ‘No’ was a hit and Meghan’s second album *still* didn’t sell, it may well have been because the people that bought and heard her first didn’t want to get burned again.

And I say this for artists I love too. Yeah, ‘Slow’ was a bit avant-garde, but it was still a hit and ‘Fever’ was the biggest selling album in the world in 2001. The first week sales for ‘Body Language’ (2003) should therefore have been MUCH larger than they were (because most casual buyers would have no idea about the quality of the record until they bought it). And I’ve always wondered whether it’s because a lot of buyers of ‘Fever’ found that there wasn’t a great deal left to discover after the singles. I wonder how many thought; “better to spend my money on a singles compilation later down the line than fork out for an album from this particular artist”.

Obviously that was in the pre-streaming era. Rather than wait for a Greatest Hits, the same psychology now may be “I’ll listen to an artist playlist rather than seek out an entire album to stream”.

Future Nostalgia’s success is the winning combination of people liking your new singles and ALSO having been pleasantly surprised by the consistency in quality of your last album.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Sam, sesita, Jordtayylor and 13 others like this.
  5. In hindsight, I don’t know how this didn’t happen sooner.

Excited!

QueenB and spaceship like this.
  6. Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Bslg17, Lapras, Diet Pop! and 19 others like this.
  7. Also, modern classic Don't Start Now has gone 2xPlatinum today.

Last edited: May 29, 2020

8. Dua delivers once again.

9. While i was not a big fan of her first LP all i can say is I deeply live this one.
    It's fresh and bring pop to another level.
    It reminds me the freshness of Lily Allen's first album when it came out.
    Its a clever well produced pop album and i love the spirit of it that depicts very well the mood of Dua. I love that shes glowing and taking a bigger part in pop music nowadays.
    While im a bit disappointed by Gaga last effort because it sounds kinda kitsch or Eurovision kind of basic pop (i was hoping for a more edgy and step up sound a la BTW) im happy to go back to Dua's Future Nostalgia which bring a great mix between old cool 90's music and future production. Everything is perfect and the title sum up very well the atmosphere of this album.
    Hope well be lucky enough to have music videos for all the songs coz none of them is a filler.
    Its rare to have one solid pop album that you listen to from A to Z without skipping one song.
    Thank you Dua you blessed us with the kind of sound we didnt know we needed during these difficult times.

QueenB likes this.
  10. The snippet sounds more reggae than reggaeton. It's very Sean Paul.

QueenB likes this.
  11. My memory is blurry right now but I think it's the first time she's performed Love Again

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  12. A crime, if you ask me.

Crisp X likes this.
  13. She did Love Again on the Amazon thing.

Crisp X likes this.
  14. This probably won't happen, but I would literally die if Dua released "If It Ain't Me" as a duet with Kylie.
    I wouldn't say that Cannibal was a mistake, but its single campaign definitely should've diversified her sound.

"We R Who We R" → "Sleazy" → "Animal," "Blind," "C U Next Tuesday" or "The Harold Song."

15. Queen, such gorgeous renditions. Just thinking about the takeover this album could've had on all talk shows...

Jordtayylor and QueenB like this.
  16. She still does that. Those track by track streams were very good, there's also some interviews which discuss songs and videos with those interviews. Gotta love it.

WallyWinterborn likes this.
  17. So what you're saying is we can expect to see Adele-like opening numbers for her next project then?

[​IMG]

18. RhythmNative

RhythmNative Staff Member

If the lead singles resonate. It will sell a decent amount off clout from Future Nostalgia alone. But big big numbers come from the combination of previous album clout AND liking the new material.

19. Cheryl is the definition of killing her own career with trash first and second albums.

JasonJay and Leopold like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.