Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

The more I listen to this song the more I transcend.

It’s got all the sweet spots I’m a sucker for, the staccato delivery of the chorus, the ever ranging and manic instrumental ending us round the twist by the end, the whole “how to love me right” into “I hope it hits me right, like an arughow” is just BUTTER TO THESE EARS.

I can see the argument that the middle eight is a bit “underwhelming” but the build up and transition into the finale are just stunning.

nn this has sticking out to me too, and on "play fayuh, is that a compass in your na-chueah"

Brought me back to her debut "i remembai, that week-aI_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY"
Am I the only one who doesn’t understand the compass line? Why would someone have a compass in their nature?

Prefacing this by acknowledging I could very well be wrong, but I don’t see Training Season being a big hit for her. Maybe in the UK, but it doesn’t have a big enough hook to cement itself on U.S. radio, I fear. With Dance the Night (still) and Houdini taking up oxygen, I just don’t see it breaking through.

I didn't want to say it, but there's something about the campaign so far that's quite... anti-pop to me? From the videos to the two songs with a jamming quality to them. There's a reason why we prefer them in their extended mix form (in 2009 label execs would have absolutely asked for "single/radio mixes"). It all feels deliberate though.

Last edited:
IIIIIIIIIIIII-

Need someone to hold me close

Deeper than I've ever known

Whose love feels like a rodeo

Knows just how to take control

When I'm vulnerable

He's straight talking to my soul

Conversation overload

Got me feeling vertigo

WZ6wYE.gif

RainOnFire

Staff member
Lead single in November and album (potentially) in May/June would've driven me up the wall at any other point in time, but I'm actually okay with it in this case if that's the plan. As desperately as I want the album, I also can't remember the last time we had a release schedule as packed as the next two months are, so it'd be nice to have something to look forward to after the dust settles in April.

Reflecting on the Future Nostalgia era and it's honestly so admirable how hard she hustled to make it a success despite the once in a lifetime odds that were stacked against her. Sure she planted the seeds performing and promoting hard in the months before Covid hit, but it was insanely unfortunate how the virus cancelled so much of what the release was supposed to be...but she kept on going, doing at home interviews and performing on late night shows singing in front of a green screen in her living room. Now, grant you, she partied *Whitney/Diane Sawyer interview voice* and traveled a ton, but she really did hustle for that success.

I think she would have found the success with it regardless, the album was fantastic and her debut era set her up for a big era, but it was especially admirable how she still nailed a great album era despite the odds stacked against her. For totally different reasons, I feel like both Future Nostalgia and folklore are the quintessential Covid-era albums.

Last edited: