Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

Well…it’s better than Training Season, but the verses are so hilariously poorly written, that I feel like half the song doesn’t flow properly.

Great chorus though, the last minute of the song is great, and the All-The-Lovers-but-in-Barcelona bit towards the end of the video was cute.

Houdini is still very obviously and readily superior, both the original and the extended cuts.

Of the three, I think “Illusion” is the biggest sonic departure, the most experimental as far as instrumentals go, and the most in line with how she describes the album in interviews. It’s not so much “Hallucinate” as it a beefier and more propulsive “Love Again.” The mixing is really amazing, too. I loved it instantly.
To my ears, it sounds the most Future Nostalgia of all three, the chorus melody in particular.

As far as the extended versions go, Houdini is the one that has worked the best cuz it introduced some new elements. This one and Training Season feel longer for the sake of being longer. I appreciate that they're putting them out, but I wish they were giving a bit more than they are.

To my ears, it sounds the most Future Nostalgia of all three, the chorus melody in particular.
They all sound Future Nostalgia, but the first two sound like deluxe tag ons (good ones!) and this feels like a proper next step. It’s the same songwriting formula, yes, but it sounds elevated with much more interesting production.

I also love the vocal. It’s the most emotive of the three.

The songs quite lacklustre - the basic verses leading into that stretched out vocal delivery of the word : illusion. Video makes me wanna move to BCN though so job done.

Well…it’s better than Training Season, but the verses are so hilariously poorly written, that I feel like half the song doesn’t flow properly.

Great chorus though, the last minute of the song is great, and the All-The-Lovers-but-in-Barcelona bit towards the end of the video was cute.

Houdini is still very obviously and readily superior, both the original and the extended cuts.
I don’t find the verses poorly written, though I guess they are a bit simple. They’re my favorite part of the song (I like the attitude in her voice) along with the last line of the pre-chorus. The chorus is good but it’s trite. Middle eight is a bit messy.

They all sound Future Nostalgia, but the first two sound like deluxe tag ons (good ones!) and this feels like a proper next step. It’s the same songwriting formula, yes, but it sounds elevated with much more interesting production.

I also love the vocal. It’s the most emotive of the three.
I’m definitely not seeing the level up from Future Nostalgia. I mean, does anybody really think sounds as confident or smooth as Physical or any number of songs on FN? Maybe it’s the vocal making it sound so much worse to me? As I think @Mikal said, the vocal treatment does feel a bit off. Not enough to hinder enjoyment at all but I do notice it.

The extended is better actually - but the springy chorus ending in that uwu-uwu-uwu-shun is never not gonna grate.

Last edited: