Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

Yeah, the song is nothing special at all. It's inoffensive, it's fun, it's just not interesting. Kevin Parker may not have been the collaborator we thought he might be when producing for the pop girlies. I do love Houdini, but Training Season and this are kind of limp? As much as I love a Daft Punk/French House breakdown moment, we've heard this trick used on so many pop songs now.

Pretty video, though!

It’s good but “Hallucinate” did it better. It’s missing the crunch and the grit of the first two singles which set them apart from the Future Nostalgia sound; I’m honestly baffled how this was the song that revealed the album’s direction of her.

Amazing video. Scream at the official Olympics account going off in her comments.

Rhyming "illusion" with "moving"

tumblr-mjlzkw-Zwu-Z1qcs48qo1-400.gif

On the one hand I think it's a touch too safe for her, but on the other I'm not going to complain too loudly when a BPG releases a single that sounds like an album track from Aphrodite.

It’s good but “Hallucinate” did it better. It’s missing the crunch and the grit of the first two singles which set them apart from the Future Nostalgia sound; I’m honestly baffled how this was the song that revealed the album’s direction of her.
Yeah. Hallucinate is just so much smoother. Also, these lyrics. The concept of somebody ignoring red flags and buying into the illusion is so basic and overused. I really don’t see where the level up is with this material.

IIlusion is like a 00s Kylie b-side that should have been a single but the label’s AR was shit.

I love it.
Exactly this. There’s something quite ‘Fever’ about the production.

I know she produced one of the best pop records of recent years with Future Nostalgia and it was always gonna be a tough act to follow. But we allow all of our big pop stars to have a signature sound and love them for it. This may not be the most progressive track for her, but a bop is a bop and on initial listen, it may be my favourite of the three.

Exactly this. There’s something quite ‘Fever’ about the production.

I know she produced one of the best pop records of recent years with Future Nostalgia and it was always gonna be a tough act to follow. But we allow all of our big pop stars to have a signature sound and love them for it. This may not be the most progressive track for her, but a bop is a bop and on initial listen, it may be my favourite of the three.
I think the difference with other artists that have a signature sound is that they’re serving something else other than that sound. A lot of Taylor and Lana’s music sounds the same but they are also accomplished lyricists whereas Dua, despite a few witty lines on Future Nostalgia, goes for the low hanging fruit in that regard.

I think the difference with other artists that have a signature sound is that they’re serving something else other than that sound. A lot of Taylor and Lana’s music sounds the same but they are also accomplished lyricists whereas Dua, despite a few witty lines on Future Nostalgia, goes for the low hanging fruit in that regard.
Criticising Dua’s lyrics is like listening to a Lana album and asking “where are the bops?”. Surely we listen to different artists for different reasons!

Also I think Dua’s lyrics are generally decent/proficient!