Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

I think it’s okay to critique, but you must realize a lot of fans will not be receptive to such immediate and decisive criticism. Perhaps we can all take a moment to digest the song first?
With all due respect, this “consider the feelings of the fans and wait to critique” take is not it. Maybe everyone just give their honest opinions and not get mad for no reason? I mean, nobody even said the song was terrible. Just underwhelming.

I think for me it just felt like there was no room for celebration. I get that this is a pop forum and the place to discuss pop music and stars, so this is not meant to discourage people having opinions but personally I think I do a good job of staying away from threads where I would be overly negative and just let people enjoy things.

This thread in particular has been a flip flop of emotions on the daily.

he/him
I’m honestly baffled how this was the song that revealed the album’s direction of her.

She was speaking about the lyrics when she said this, wasn’t she? I could see that. Especially since it sits in the middle of the album:

I been known to miss a red flag
I been known to put my lover on a pedestal
In the end, those things just don't last
And it's time I take my rose-coloured glasses off

So I imagine any potential “shift” in sound will happen after this track, and this is already making that change lyrically.

Some of the takes here, yikes…Anyway the video blew me away. She looked stunning, danced really good, and overall the visuals were perfection. That part where she’s at the top of the human pyramid and you see the Sagrada Familia church behind her… just chef’s kiss! Whew!

The song is definitely as instant as Houidini if you ask me. I think all songs have been just excellent and top notch. I wish the video director of Illusion was in charge of all the videos cus he ate that up!

She was speaking about the lyrics when she said this, wasn’t she? I could see that. Especially since it sits in the middle of the album:

So I imagine any potential “shift” in sound will happen after this track, and this is already making that change lyrically.
Radically optimistic that your vision of Dua starting the album on shrooms at the club and ending it sun kissed in her DB Boulevard bag will come true.

I'm pretty sure we all adore Dua and her music. I mean, we wouldn't have listened to Illusion right when it dropped if we didn't. But no one seems to be trying to be overly negative here or policing anyone's enjoyment. There is simply no right or wrong when it comes to this. Your enjoyment is yours to have, and shouldn't be affected by someone's lukewarm response.

he/him/his
I think for me it just felt like there was no room for celebration. I get that this is a pop forum and the place to discuss pop music and stars, so this is not meant to discourage people having opinions but personally I think I do a good job of staying away from threads where I would be overly negative and just let people enjoy things.

This thread in particular has been a flip flop of emotions on the daily.
I wouldn’t even go as far as that so much as it is the same people posting on and on about how much they don’t like… well, anything.

So of course people are naturally going to respond. They’re just as free to reply to these posters as these posters are free to type their opinions on the material. Like, what do these posters expect?

Anyway, stream Illusion.

I wouldn’t even go as far as that so much as it is the same people posting on and on about how much they don’t like… well, anything.

So of course people are naturally going to respond. They’re just as free to reply to these posters as these posters are free to type their opinions on the material. Like, what do these posters expect?

Anyway, stream Illusion.
We expect people to not get weirdly aggressive. It’s just pop music.

Exactly! She’s been talking since late 2022/early 2023 (when the sessions with Kevin started and the album took shape) about how this album has more a lyrical theme than a sonically one.

He/Him
3/3 for me. The music video is amazing too! Multiple outfits and setups in a beautiful setting. My one thing I don't get is the constant "it sounds like a Future Nostalgia track". I don't get it and I don't hear it. The production sounds different and a little more maturer. Maybe people who have that take just want something completely different.

At this point I just want the names/social media handles of all the hot dancers and models she has had in these last 2 videos.

he/him/his
I just listened to the extended, and that might just be the definitive version. The track has all the room it needs to breathe and properly build.

And the additional breakdown around the 2:49 mark? i_can_hear_god.gif

illusion.gif

illusion.gif

illusion.gif

I want to believe the divisiveness stemmed from people yearning to be caught off-guard again. Future Nostalgia was all about being caught off-guard, from Don't Start Now to the title track to Break My Heart to Levitating to Love Again - there was variety as well as new things she didn't try before at that point in time. There is so much she can cull from the period she's inspired by - big beat, madchester, trip-hop, big orchestral ballads etc. so for the 3 singles so far to share the same DNA for the most parts is expected, but she's playing it safe. I'm sure there will be some surprises in store amongst the album tracks though.