Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

The moment I saw that quote about the record influences that was basically backed by a *actual product may vary from the illustration while every headline and twitter twink just ran with "Dua Lipa inspired by Britpop", I knew it was coming back to bite. Yeah, it's not her fault if people's attention span or reading habilities aren't top-tier, but there are better ways to describe that you're searching for a certain feeling instead of name-dropping artists.

The production on all these songs are great, but there's a slight dash of making them more palatable that also takes some of the most interesting aspects away. It's all very conventional while burying the more interesting choices in the background; these bells, the arp/keyboard going crazy, all these things should have been pushed to the front instead of... the piano in Illusion. Houdini works better with the extended version. My main hot take? The music is pleasant but nothing so far gave me the elation-freedom-mindblowing feel she's looking for (and managed to do so before).

And you know... it would have been better if the album was out already and basically cut half these discussions away. There would be no "But why they switching aesthetic??" "Is the label interfering?" and so on. I believe there are some other small miscalculations of what pushed Dua forward and they sort of abandoned way too quickly but also... if she's happy, the results are not the end of the world. I'd be happy to release my little songs and holiday all around the world while doing so.

he/him
there are better ways to describe that you're searching for a certain feeling instead of name-dropping artists.

I mean, she was just listing people she was listening to, no? Because she literally did say:

“This record feels a bit more raw,” she says. “I want to capture the essence of youth and freedom and having fun and just letting things happen, whether it’s good or bad. You can’t change it. You just have to roll with the punches of whatever’s happening in your life.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...bum-influences-dating-life-acting-1234945422/

I think it's important for people to separate what Dua herself has said and what journalists have framed her words as, because reading her direct quotes... she's literally only ever said she was out to capture a feeling dd. So, again, it's really just coming down to people not reading beyond what they want to read. Everything people are saying she should have said/did instead of listing out these influences, she's already been saying and doing from the jump.

Last edited:
I wish the chorus had a louder vocal double or two, but that’s really my only complaint.

Also, of course the damn piano is going to be most upfront in the mix, it plays the main chords! Christ.

Reactions: Sam
he/him
I feel reception would be a overall more radically optimistic if the extended mixes were debuted first and the shorter ones were used later in the videos as radio edits. While the core of the tracks remain the same, I think that adds something more to their presentation that could have added a little more separation to Future Nostalgia.

I do kinda feel like the extended mixes are what they made and presented first (this has probably been brought up before) and then they were edited for wider appeal, which I get. But I do prefer the extended cuts.

I mean, she was just listing people she was listening to, no? Because she literally did say:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...bum-influences-dating-life-acting-1234945422/

I think it's important for people to separate what Dua herself has said and what journalists have framed her words as, because reading her direct quotes... she's literally only ever said she was out to capture a feeling dd. Everything else has been said by journalists. So, again, it's really just coming down to people not reading beyond what they want to read. Everything people are saying she should have said/did, she's been saying and doing from the jump.

I mean, yeah, I totally agree but at same time: isn't her team just proofreading/approving how these articles are being written? The original Rolling Stones literally says

She isn’t quite ready to reveal the actual title, but she shares that it’s a psychedelic-pop-infused tribute to U.K. rave culture. It’s heavily inspired by acts like Primal Scream and Massive Attack

And then it gets replicated towards other outlets
https://consequence.net/2024/01/dua-lipa-new-album-primal-scream-massive-attack/

https://www.stereogum.com/2247957/d...l-scream-denies-shes-always-on-vacation/news/

And these aren't, like, "newmusic friday blogspot", they're ""respectable"" sources of music. There's also the Variety article that you've already quoted on the last page (and it was more of what I had in mind when I wrote my post) where she's mentioning Massive Attack for the second time while she's clearly explanining that it is about the feel of it... but then, again, it's easy that people will feel bamboozled with these little hints of information and way too much time in their hands ddd.

I do kinda feel like the extended mixes are what they made and presented first (this has probably been brought up before) and then they were edited for wider appeal, which I get. But I do prefer the extended cuts.
I felt the same with the Houdini extended version, but Training Season and Illusion both sound a bit clunky in the extended for me. I don't think the chorus on Illusion being instrumental for the first 16 bars makes any sense, and Training Season just sounds like they stitched together some loops.
What I do believe though is that there might have been a futurenostalgialization of the mixing to make the songs sound less Tame Impala and more radio friendly.

stan-twitter-omg-its-not-funny.gif

I’m just trying to keep everyone entertained since the singles are doing the opposite!

I honestly love it when the girls name their esoteric sources of inspiration, even if it’s not always the wisest decision dd I still have the scars from defending Lady Gaga saying “Bad Romance” was inspired by industrial Eastern European dance music. BPG things!
Well there's certainly more industrial techno in "Bad Romance" than there is Massive Attack in any of the Dua tracks nn