Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

He/Him/His
This picture.... PEG ME

Dua_Lipa_rzimmmp9.jpeg

The album is incredible, yeah. I loved the singles and not sure if I’d even put them in my top 5 except maybe Houdini still.

Technique and even Republic era New Order feel like big influences. Moby, Telepopmusik, Basement Jaxx, Moloko… I see, hear, and feel the vision
dua-lipa-hot-beach-selfie-eznw6gfmays2x0lb.webp

Last edited:
Hmm. This is a very curious album for her to release at this juncture. It turns out most of the tracks I was able to hear beforehand (Whatcha Doin, Falling Forever, Maria) are what I enjoy the most. Some of these tracks are just very middling. End Of An Era/French Exit/Anything For Love in particular left no impression on first listen.

It's not filled with radio-friendly material and I'm interested to see how the tour sells in the US with no major hit behind it. I do wonder if Dance The Night/her overall presence remaining high over the years will be enough to shift tickets.

I do think it's the first time in recent memory that I can remember the best track being the first single. Houdini is a mammoth pop song and I will forever be pressed it wasn't the worldwide, multi-week number one it had every right to be.

Rmx

He/Him/His
Hmm. This is a very curious album for her to release at this juncture. It turns out most of the tracks I was able to hear beforehand (Whatcha Doin, Falling Forever, Maria) are what I enjoy the most. Some of these tracks are just very middling. End Of An Era/French Exit/Anything For Love in particular left no impression on first listen.

It's not filled with radio-friendly material and I'm interested to see how the tour sells in the US with no major hit behind it. I do wonder if Dance The Night/her overall presence remaining high over the years will be enough to shift tickets.

I do think it's the first time in recent memory that I can remember the best track being the first single. Houdini is a mammoth pop song and I will forever be pressed it wasn't the worldwide, multi-week number one it had every right to be.

But it was. It topped the Dance / Electronic Music chart in the US for 17 weeks and sat on #1 in like 15 different European countries.

US Hot 100 =/= Being a Global Hit

I'm bopping to some of, it but the lack of lyrics is a recurring theme I can't get past. Simply repeating a song title over and over, does not a chorus doth make.

Kinda frustrating and disappointing given how much time she's had to complete this album and the talent involved.

Definitely more of a tame affair, than Tame Impala.

Houdini and Training Season sound like they belong to a different era. This is breezy and fun but not the direction I was expecting that album to go in.

But it was. It topped the Dance / Electronic Music chart in the US for 17 weeks and sat on #1 in like 15 different European countries.

US Hot 100 =/= Being a Global Hit
No one said anything about the Hot 100 or that it wasn't a hit. It just didn't go number one in the US, UK, Australia, Canada, France, Germany...I could go on.

Reactions: Rmx
I'm interested to see how the tour sells in the US with no major hit behind it. I do wonder if Dance The Night/her overall presence remaining high over the years will be enough to shift tickets.
Obviously we don’t yet know about the US, but the fact that hundreds of thousands of people couldn’t get tickets for her European shows and the Royal Albert Hall show sold out in 5 minutes - she’s doing just fine. I’ve no doubt in her ability to sell out a European stadium tour for next summer, should she choose.

And I still believe she’ll comfortably sell a 20 or so date arena tour in the US.