Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

This picture.... PEG ME

Dua_Lipa_rzimmmp9.jpeg
Dua looking like a body double for Mia Goth, I see the vision.

he/him
I stand by what I said earlier about some of the perspectives in this thread going into this album. The expectations based on who we knew she was working with + the songs we heard, combined with the general depressive sentiment didn't align.

However on my first listen, Radical Optimism didn't leave a strong impression. Houdini works so well because it has the coolness so intertwined with her artistry. It stands out because the metaphor is fresh and every element has grit. I'm also a Training Season truther - the earworm chorus we expect from her. Illusion is Dua-by numbers, but I see its appeal as a Dua Lipa Pop Song.

Otherwise, These Walls was the only new song that made me feel like I was listening to the album I expected. The same goes for Anything For Love - give us more dynamics! She sounded gorgeous. When the beat slams in only for the song to end a minute later...? Nothing has a chance to breathe. The production throughout the record with all of its flutes and strings and Orbit-esque chords - the songs themselves don't have the the melodies to underscore the soundscapes.

And I don't want to sound cliche but where's the optimism!? Every song is about wanting to escape something - a relationship, someone's ex, a dancefloor - there truly isn't a perspective to latch on to. Also, miss me with the "It's supposed to be fuN!!!!" critiques. If she's not having fun, how are we supposed to?

I'll keep listening and we'll see how it grows but not loving it.

he/him
And I don't want to sound cliche but where's the optimism!? Every song is about wanting to escape something - a relationship, someone's ex, a dancefloor - there truly isn't a perspective to latch on to. Also, miss me with the "It's supposed to be fuN!!!!" critiques. If she's not having fun, how are we supposed to?

I feel like it's very clear in the lyrics. The album starts with her in this chaotic relationship with someone before she finally decides to leave on "French Exit", then she gets back on her horse with someone new on "Falling Forever" where she outlines what she wants and her beliefs about being in love:

I know the mind is quick to throw away the moment
Where this takes us, maybe I don't wanna know yet
'Cause for now, you're all I want
They say you got it, then it's gone
I don't believe that every flame has to get colder
I hope the feelings that you give me carry over
Till tomorrow and beyond

She continues this on "Anything for Love":

I'm not interested in a love that gives up so easily
I want a love that's set on keeping me
When it hurts, we don't even think to cut it off
And I'm not interested in a heart that doesn't beat for me
I want a mind that meets me equally
When it's hard, it won't evеr feel like it's too much
Remembеr when we used to do anything for love?

We're all so scared of forever
And no one promises always
We're not perfect together
That means we gotta part ways
Remember when
We used to do anything for love?
We're all terrified of heartbreak
Run at first signs of problems
Make it look way too easy
We all got too many options
Remember when
We used to do anything for love?

And "Maria":

When love comes young, you take it for granted, yeah
Now he knows certain things you can't undo
Ooh, I owe it to you
Deepest affect always comes from a cause
I'm better too from the ones that I've lost
Now he is everything I'd ever want
I wanna thank you for all that you've done
Never thought I could feel this way
Grateful for all the love you gave
Here's to the lovers that make you change
Maria, Maria, Maria

Last edited:
he/him
I feel like it's very clear in the lyrics. The album starts with her in this chaotic relationship with someone before she finally decides to leave on "French Exit", then she gets back on her horse with someone new on "Falling Forever" where she outlines what she wants and her beliefs about being in love:

I know the mind is quick to throw away the moment
Where this takes us, maybe I don't wanna know yet
'Cause for now, you're all I want
They say you got it, then it's gone
I don't believe that every flame has to get colder
I hope the feelings that you give me carry over
Till tomorrow and beyond

I can buy into that narrative for sure. Maybe my expectations were misaligned because I didn't expect the optimism to necessarily be about her relationship?

he/him/his
I cannot imagine not thinking that End of An Era is one of her best songs ever.
Little details I love about End Of An Era:

0:00 - The Lucky Star-esque opening synth

0:09 - 1, 2, 3, Hey!

0:18 - I guess.

0:44 - AH!

0:46 - That little bell/glass clinking(?) sound signaling the start of the chorus

0:51 - The Lucky Star-esque synth reappearing during the chorus

1:03 - The record scratch

1:22-1:40 - The church bells echoing in the distance (which coincidentally reappear during Illusion’s chorus)

1:57 - That dreamy synth(?) throughout the middle-eight

2:13 - The key change!

2:19 - LALALALA, LALALALALA

2:31 - Here she goes again.

All while Dua’s beautiful voice glides over that French Touch bassline, the Moloko-esque guitars, and Kevin Parker’s bongos?! God, I love pop music.

Last edited: