Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

Right? I need some of you to be so serious. They're little pop songs about breaking up and dancing. If you can empathize with a Beyoncé song about motherhood or an Ariana song about her dead boyfriend or Taylor's unhinged manifestos, you can mentally escape to a fucking Dua Lipa song
Okay (*Houdini starts playing*). I understand what you're saying with the quote included. Personally, I can mentally escape to a Dua Lipa song and I don't think she's flaunting her vacays or anything like that, but the comparison just seems kind of odd precisely because you're comparing fluffy pop songs to hyper emotional ones. There will absolutely be people who find Dua's pop songs hard to relate to while finding songs about death or motherhood or unhinged heartbreak easy to relate to. I know I certainly relate to these heavier experiences more simply because of how my life has played out whereas Dua's songs are almost abstract to me simply because my experiences are so different. I've had breakups. I dance. But I've never felt happy for any of my exes or thought "you look so hot with your new person" because the relationships, due to my autism, felt like sheer hell. So I'm automatically going to relate more to Taylor's rage and I think the same is true for most people. Not to mention that I teach in a high school, which is like a hotbed of pure sorrow, so Dua's glossing over of the breakups feels very remote to me. But I can definitely still listen to it and enjoy it.

That being, I completely understand when people feel alienated by the Dua experience. I don't think they're trying to be critical of her when they feel that alienation. It is what it is. Also, it kind of reminds me of when I critiqued DISCO's lyrics and being vapid and stupid and some people were like, "It was the perfect escape during the pandemic. Stop taking everything so seriously." And it's like, maybe some people don't want to live in Kylie's glitterly cliche-filled world of the ideal when they're feeling trapped in their own miserable one while some people do.

Disclaimer: I don't actually relate directly to Beyonce's motherhood of course. It's more the depth and scale of the emotion, which is what Dua's music lacks.

Last edited:
I genuinely don't know what Future Nostalgia's weak points are bar Good in Bed and Boys Will Be Boys?
I think those were what was being referred to. A couple of mediocre songs doesn't seem like a big deal, but it can on an eleven track album.

I don't think those songs are horrid but they don't fit and they're definitely beneath what that album as whole was doing.

Last edited:
Okay (*Houdini starts playing*). I understand what you're saying with the quote included. Personally, I can mentally escape to a Dua Lipa song and I don't think she's flaunting her vacays or anything like that, but the comparison just seems kind of odd precisely because you're comparing fluffy pop songs to hyper emotional ones. There will absolutely be people who find Dua's pop songs hard to relate to while finding songs about death or motherhood or unhinged heartbreak easy to relate to. I know I certainly relate to these heavier experiences more simply because of how my life has played out whereas Dua's songs are almost abstract to me simply because my experiences are so different. I've had breakups. I dance. But I've never felt happy for any of my exes or thought "you look so hot with your new person" because the relationships, due to my autism, felt like sheer hell. So I'm automatically going to relate more to Taylor's rage and I think the same is true for most people. Not to mention that I teach in a high school, which is like a hotbed of pure sorrow, so Dua's glossing over of the breakups feels very remote to me. But I can definitely still listen to it and enjoy it.

That being, I completely understand when people feel alienated by the Dua experience. I don't think they're trying to be critical of her when they feel that alienation. It is what it is. Also, it kind of reminds me of when I critiqued DISCO's lyrics and being vapid and stupid and some people were like, "It was the perfect escape during the pandemic. Stop taking everything so seriously." And it's like, maybe some people don't want to live in Kylie's glitterly cliche-filled world of the ideal when they're feeling trapped in their own miserable one while some people do.
This is doing too much. It’s just breakup escapism songs. We get it, you can’t relate to them. Guess what? There’s people that can - and there’s nothing miserable about that. It’s just different human beings having different reactions to art pieces. There’s nothing wrong about it. I can’t relate to 99% of Taylor songs (only mentioning her because you mentioned first) and that’s okay. I’m not on her thread posting paragraphs about it.

Maybe try to stop convince everyone that doesn’t have the same perceptions that you have? Life is easier that way! Also please don’t even bother to quote me with a paragraph because I won’t engage on a discussion with you.

Last edited:
This is doing too much. It’s just breakup escapism songs. We get it, you can’t relate to them. Guess what? There’s people that can - and there’s nothing miserable about that. It’s just different human beings having different reactions to art pieces. There’s nothing wrong about it. I can’t relate to 99% of Taylor songs (only mentioning her because you mentioned first) and that’s okay. I’m not on her thread posting paragraphs about it.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with escapism songs nor did I say that I don't enjoy them. I thought Future Nostalgia was perfect sans the last two tracks. I was just explaining the reasoning behind the way some people feel and why I didn't quite understand the point @Mirwais Ahmadzaï was making. I said in the post you reacted to that different people relate to things different and that's okay. Also, how can you say different people react to art pieces differently and then completely dismiss the alienation others might feel? You're both contradicting yourself and dismissing people.

Some of you are so catty while having abysmal reading comprehension. The whole "it's not that serious" or "you're too verbose" or thing that some of you do is just kind of, for lack of a kinder word, dumb.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with escapism songs nor did I say that I don't enjoy them. I though Future Nostalgia was perfect sans the last two tracks. I was just explaining the reasoning behind the way some people feel and why I didn't quite understand the point @Mirwais Ahmadzaï was making. I said in my very post that different people relate to things different and that's okay. Also, how can you say different people react to art pieces and then completely dismiss the alienation others might feel? You're both contradicting yourself and dismissing people.

Some of you are so catty while having abysmal reading comprehension. The whole "it's not that serious" or "you're too verbose" thing that some of you do is just kind of, for lack of a kinder word, dumb.
You’re trying to convince everyone into your mindset and I’m dumb? Lol

Anyway, as I said I won’t engage on a discussion with you. It’s not worth it and I don’t care enough. Let me go back to stream These Walls <3

You’re trying to convince everyone into your mindset and I’m dumb? Lol

Anyway, as I said I won’t engage on a discussion with you. It’s not worth it and I don’t care enough. Let me go back to stream These Walls <3
I'm not trying to convince everyone. I'm simply sharing my thoughts. I also didn't call you dumb. I simply said this "it's not serious, bruh" thing you're doing is.

Stream for more optimism

absolutely-am.gif

I was conditioned for disappointment but I actually quite like this album? Not as packed with potential hits as Future Nostalgia but very much its own vibe. Really like Falling Forever, Maria, French Exit and These Walls.

For my money, Illusion is the weakest song on there so she hasn't done herself any favours releasing it as a single.