Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

I think if one of the singles was replaced by another album track (literally any of them except Anything For Love would’ve worked) in the lead up less people would have a negative opinion of the album.

These Walls sounds like a February smash, would’ve introduced the wider sound pallet of the album and then Training Season / Illusion would’ve provided another height to the album tracks.

Still a 10/10 in my books though.

Yeah. I adore Training Season but I think it would have had mythical album track status if it hadn’t been pushed.

Also the album absolutely should have kicked off with Anything for Love and WHERE IS MY FULL VERSION.

Also the production of Houdini (which I like), Training Season (which is fine) and Illusion (which blows) doesn't fit at all with the beach vibe this album supposedly wants to project. They're too stark and harsh and should have been smoothed out a bit or left off. And that's only the singles. Watcha Doing and the screamy slog Falling Forever should have been left off too.

Rmx

He/Him/His
Also the production of Houdini (which I like), Training Season (which is fine) and Illusion (which blows) doesn't fit at all with the beach vibe this album supposedly wants to project. They're too stark and harsh and should have been smoothed out a bit or left off. And that's only the singles. Watcha Doing and the screamy slog Falling Forever should have been left off too.

Well thank God you're not making the decisions then. It's literally the best track on the album. At the very least, the best album track. In my humble opinion. Wouldn't want to have missed it!

I did a full 180 (crazyyy) and now I love Illusion, I think it’s probably my favourite track on here

Also the album is full of amazing DuaMoments™️:

The spoken part in End of an era
The way she sings “Time is passin' like a solar eclipse” in Houdini
“Its not support to hurt this much” in These Walls
The “How long uhhh” in the final chorus of Fallin Forever

I do find the reactions puzzling to be honest. When you think back over Future Nostalgia it was such a huge era of course, but when you listen to the album itself you realise this album is better overall in that there is no 'Boys Will Be Boys' or 'Good In Bed' (though I adore it) that drags it down. It's a brilliant collection of pop songs, with individual style and attitude.

For me 'Illusion' was the wrong choice for a third single as it's the closest in style to the previous era and takes a step backwards. The two singles 'Houdini' and 'Training Season' both have oriental and worldly elements to them - at least instrumentally, and there are songs on the album that would've moved forward that vibe. 'Falling Forever', 'Maria' and 'French Exit'... a perfect trio of songs that sound unique on the album and would've been (could be) for Dua as singles.

Just watched the SNL performances, stunning as expected. She’s become such a dependable performer, each time she hits the stage she just fucking eats. Also Illusion has grown on me immensely after initially not caring for it at all. We love growth!

Finally got round to listening to this earlier today and I love it, not as great as Future Nostalgia, but still a good listen. I love the 3 singles.

I can see why they released Training Season because the chorus is so big. But the production and structure of the song feel a bit too heavy for mass appeal. Whenever it came on the radio at work it sounded very jarring and people didn’t seem to be enjoying it or singing along.

I think a different tempo second single like These Walls or Happy For You could have worked better and then release the stomping Illusion ahead of the album.