Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

The album is cute I’m enjoying it.

Problem is at this stage in her career she didn’t need cute she needed drop dead gorgeous.

I think her European portfolio will remain steady but her US credentials will take a hit without a smash to keep building momentum.

I would love for her to get a big smash from the album but from the tracks that are left to release I would be surprised if any really caught on in a big way.

this is a very interesting record in that it doesn't reinvent the wheel for her sound or even develop it (and with the producers she had on board i'm extremely shocked that a lot of material isn't instant)

that being said

these walls is very nice and happy for you is a really good closer

I love this album! It's not as instant or big as Future Nostalgia but it feels more personal and... quirky if that makes sense? Falling Free is the best thing here after the singles. These Walls is not really my thing as I'm not a fan of that throwback pop rock sound but I can see why it hits for people who are.

Do people forget that she had a very good debut album? Happy for You sounds like an elevated version of a sound she did a decade ago.
THIS!!!!!!! I said pages back that this record is very debut album coded and the debut was great.

I understand not everyone will vibe with this record and that's fine because we're all entitled to feel our feelings but a lot of the criticism seems to stem from the fact that people decided they weren't going to like it before it even dropped because ~the vibes were off this era~ or Grammy The Night being the summer smash it was still keeps them up at night or something something.

I’d love an extended version of Anything For Love but maybe she knew what she was doing making it so short. The melody of just one line “When it's hard it won't ever feel like it's too much” being stuck on repeat in my head…..genius!

He/Him
Of course it's vital for the record label and a pop star like Dua that the album does well commercially, but I wish people would stop letting commercial success or failure influence whether they like the actual music or not. Some people(not all) seem to have the vibe of "Oh it's not doing huge numbers, therefore it must not be very good".

Hm the album is growing on me but I'm still finding it... weak.

If Dua wants to be a global star, I don't understand why she'd release such a... laidback album that is clearly lacking in ambition. Sure, there's lovely production quirks and it's all very pleasant but... there's no bite or urgency outside of the singles. If she wants to build a cult following and bop around festivals and short arena tours, sure, but I thought her goal was stardom. It's kind of giving Solar Power in that respect dd.

Hm the album is growing on me but I'm still finding it... weak.

If Dua wants to be a global star, I don't understand why she'd release such a... laidback album that is clearly lacking in ambition. Sure, there's lovely production quirks and it's all very pleasant but... there's no bite or urgency outside of the singles. If she wants to build a cult following and bop around festivals and short arena tours, sure, but I thought her goal was stardom. It's kind of giving Solar Power in that respect dd.
It might be lacking in some senses, but i don’t think it is in ambition.

I think the problem is she might be held to too high a standard (not everyone is 80s imperial phase Madonna by album three : maybe she just *is* a chill person and doesn‘t have these kind of life experciences and struggles to turn into art).

If anything i feel that she worked on some if the songs too much. Some feel fine-tuned and overthought to the point that they lack any spontanaity.

Last edited: