Dune (The 2021 Remake) | The Popjustice Forum

Dune (The 2021 Remake)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Eskapism, Sep 22, 2021.

1. I couldn’t find a thread for this yet, but maybe I’m just tired and missed it (if so, please delete this thread).

What do you think of the remake of Dune? I just saw it and I loved it. It was very dark, visually stunning and had great casting. Hopefully there will be a part two.

2. I haven't seen it yet but I'm looking forward to it. The cast seems great and I have loved just about everything Denis Villeneuve has done. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

I do think Villeneuve said there'd be a part two as long as it's a box office success so we'll see.

Andrew and Eskapism like this.
  3. Loved the Lynch Dune, even if it's utterly convoluted and borderline impenetrable. I love Villeneuve and can't wait for this though, even if the reviews have been lukewarm.

acl and Eskapism like this.
  4. I have seen it last week and even though I have never read the book and have never seen Lynch’s Dune, I enjoyed it and think about it constantly. The acting is mostly great, especially Rebecca Ferguson deserves some praise. Oh and Oscar Isaac = Zaddy!
    The only complaint I have is the score. I just can’t anymore with Hans Zimmer’s music, it’s always the same ol dramatic and GRAND orchestra which is usually way too loud. Enough already.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Andrew likes this.
  5. I’ve almost finished the book which has been an absolute slog and the worst time of my life, but I’ll still go and see this because I’ll watch anything, anything, with Timothée Chalamet.

Andrew likes this.
  6. Really liked this. It was like an arthouse sci-fi film. Some of the imagery was some of the best I’ve ever seen in the sci-fi genre, and I personally loved Hans’s score. Cast was great too, especially Becky Ferg. Was pleasantly surprised with how much she was in it! I was ready for her to be in it for like ten minutes at the beginning and then dip, but she is super present throughout. I’d say she’s even probably the second lead vocalist after Tim? Timothee . . . didn’t do anything we haven’t seen from him before. I’m not quite convinced of his range yet - it all seems to be variations of angsty teen. But it did the trick here and it certainly didn’t ruin the film or anything. He plays angsty teen well so it works!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Mr Blonde, Someboy, itylts and 2 others like this.
  7. I agree with everything you wrote. So many scenes were breathtakingly beautiful and the score was perfect. I was also surprised by how much Rebecca was in the movie, she sure has come a long way since starring in a cheesy Swedish soap opera in the late 90’s-early 00’s.

scottdisick94 likes this.
  8. I can't wait to see this, Denis is my man! (and also, a zad)

9. Did anyone see this, apparently it was released in some territories over the weekend. I'm so curious.mp3

10. I read it too recently and I can't for the life of me see how it is considered the greatest Sci-Fi novel. I don't think I ever read something so slow.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    TeamDorinda!! likes this.
  11. I thought this was going to flop majorly, but it's already at $130 million worldwide before opening in the US, UK or China (all this weekend). Which is just as well, as they've only done half the book. Going to see it on Thursday.

12. This was amazing, saw it twice on the cinema - it's definitely a big-screen event otherwise all the impact is lost. It's a very Villeneuve movie - extremely aesthetic with strong actors direction and okayish plot management.

Art direction & DOP are to die for - everything looks exquisite and bigger than life - and Rebecca is amazing (Timothée is not bad). As a warning: it dives right in the conflict cold turkey, so the beginning is brittle but at the end it coalesces into something understandable.

collxtion and Eskapism like this.
  13. It leaked online too in full HD. I know WB is pissed.

14. So I watched last night and loved it. It looks beautiful, the actors are great and the story is really interesting. I wanted to read the book but if you say it's bad I'm gonna pass on it dds

johnoclock likes this.
  15. It's so beautiful.

Dennis likes this.
  16. Denis is really making beautiful and slow burn sci fi films since Arrival.

He's stellar in this genre. He should do his own version of Aliens.

I saw this in IMAX and the score was SOARING thru the speakers.

johnoclock and dvno like this.
  17. The score is SO LOUD that a lot of people (including me) were putting their hands over their ears some moments. The brief for Hans Zimmer was "tinnitus in space".

(the score is actually nice)

18. Ugh it was the same for Tenet. It's so distracting and borderline migraine inducing.

19. I had this same issue seeing the Lynch rerelease in the cinema a few weeks ago! Deafened.

20. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Staff Member

I thought it was great, arthouse sci-fi. It does feel a little like you're dropped into the middle of something, but you need to use a bit of brain (which may not be for the masses, let's face it).

The most refreshing thing for me was audible dialogue. It feels like so long since I've watched a film without mumbling or wondering what they just said. I watched it on a big TV (SORRY) with proper speaker set-up, and the whole thing sounded amazing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.