DURAN DURAN UK Singles Rate 1981 - 2022 WINNER REVEALED | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

DURAN DURAN UK Singles Rate 1981 - 2022 WINNER REVEALED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by simes1970, Mar 3, 2022.

1. What I shall try to do is get your DD scores added over the course of the day and any changes that need to be made on that list I shall try and complete for tomorrow unnameable. Once again apologies. Sometimes technology can be a pain.

2. The intro to TPS's "Get it on" kicks ass...especially when Tony Thompson's drumming changes direction..it blew my 14 year old mind back in 1985! I have always preferred it to the original!

3. Am I always the second highest scorer or something?

Remorque and MilesAngel like this.
  4. Just realised...Robert Palmer is the missing link between two great Birmingham bands from the 80s:
    Duran Duran and UB40 as he's worked with both!

5. Good news I have retrieved Unnameable's list so the rest of the rate will include the scores. It has changed the main Duran countdown quite a bit. Skin Trade drew the most 12's.

6. Arcadia Singles 3rd place. So Red The Rose is one excellent album and all the singles taken from the album are great.

The Flame
    Highest Score 9.5 (JonBCN) Lowest Score 4 (Letuinmybackdoor)
    Other Scores 9 (Eric Generic, RaggedTiger) 8.8 (Untouchable Ace) 8 (MylesAngel, Simes1970)
    7.5 (Remorque) 7 (Auntie Beryl) 6 (Blaahh) 5.5 (Unnameable) 5 (Hairycub1969, Epic Chocolat)
    Comments Include
    "Not a single either and quite irritating as a stand alone track."

7. Second Place, Strong track this one.

The Promise
    Highest Score 12 (JonBCN) Lowest Score 4 (Hairycub1969)
    Other Scores 9.5 (RaggedTiger) 9.4 (Untouchable Ace) 9 (Auntie Beryl, Eric Generic)
    8.5 (Unnameable) 8 (Blaahh, Simes1970) 7 (Remorque, MylesAngel) 6.5 (Epic Chocolat)
    5 (Letuinmybackdoor)

8. Get it on is DREADFUL. I mean, what a way to ruin a perfect song.

9. Superb is the only thing I can say about this. Atmospheric brilliant Pop.

Election Day
    Highest Score 12 (Eric Generic) Lowest Score 5 (Epic Chocolat)
    Other Scores 11 (JonBCN) 10 (Auntie Beryl, RaggedTiger, Simes1970) 9 (Blaahh)
    8.75 (Remorque) 7.8 (Untouchable Ace) 7.5 (MylesAngel) 7 (Letuinmybackdoor, Hairycub1969)
    6 (Unnameable)
    Comments Include
    "Very esoteric, slinky lead off single from the magnificent So Red The Rose, it sounded different in 1985 and still in 2022." (Blaahh)
    "Such a fab track which is top off by having the super cool Grace Jones on it." (RaggedTiger)

10. It's gonna need 'em with my score (it's not that bad).

Remorque and Hairycub1969 like this.
  11. I never "got" Arcadia. I was more into The Power Station. Don't get me wrong, I like Arty Duran but it just never moved me! Sorry!

12. Was that more because Robert Palmer was a bit of a DILF?

13. The Promise has been a grower for me. I found it too ponderous in 1986....it's very Bryan Ferry in Boys & Girls mode. A mood piece. Not surprised it barely scraped the Top 40.

Remorque and MilesAngel like this.
  14. Oh I was all about Arty Duran, haha.

Election Day is, as my 12 suggests, simply the best thing they ever did.

15. OMG - your 12 has left the rate before we've even got to the main course?

Remorque, MilesAngel and Eric Generic like this.
  16. I can reveal had all the groups been collated together Arcadia's Election Day would have finished 15= on 111.50

17. Thanks Simon!

Remorque, MilesAngel and simes1970 like this.
  18. So it's time for the Duran reveal to start.Sorry to say this is quite possibly the worst track Duran Duran have ever put out.

White Lines (Don't Do It)
    Score 69.5 Average 5.37 Highest Score 10 (Unnameable) Lowest Score 0 (Hairycub1969)
    Other Scores 9 (Epic Chocolat) 7.5 (RaggedTiger) 6.6 (Untouchable Ace)
    6 (Blaahh, Auntie Beryl, Letuinmybackdoor, MylesAngel) 5.75 (Remorque) 3 (JonBCN, Eric Generic)
    1 (Simes1970)
    Comments Include
    "Ministry vs Grandmaster Melle Mel, fun at the time, now played to death live, bathroom live gig visit song" (Blaahh)
    "Was great to hear Duran back on radio 1 again after being ignored when Perfect Day- was released. NME hated it obviously but it got to no.17. Just wish they wouldn't always play it live." (RaggedTiger)
    "
    Arrrgh – why? This would get minus points if allowed!" (Hairycub1969)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.