DURAN DURAN UK Singles Rate 1981 - 2022 WINNER REVEALED | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

DURAN DURAN UK Singles Rate 1981 - 2022 WINNER REVEALED

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by simes1970, Mar 3, 2022.

1. No 41 is a cover version which is plesant enough without being anything special

Five Years
    Score 70 Average 5.88 Highest Score 8 (Epic Chocolat) Lowest Score 3 (Hairycub1969)
    Other Scores 7.5 (Auntie Beryl) 6.5 (Untouchable Ace, Remorque, Unnameable)
    6 (Eric Generic, RaggedTiger, Letuinmybackdoor, Simes1970) 5.5 ( JonBCN) 5 (MylesAngel)
    4 (Blaahh)
    Comments Include
    "A decent stab at Bowie. Duran are never great at doing covers and not something I wound go back to often." (RaggedTiger)
    " Duran have cranked out so many pedestrian Bowie covers." (Blaahh)

2. All going to plan so far.

Remorque, MilesAngel and Hairycub1969 like this.
  3. I'm the lowest scorer for the first two singles to leave the rate!

Remorque, MilesAngel and Eric Generic like this.
  4. I genuinely don't mind White lines. It goes down great live and whilst it's not a Duran track I seek out it's fun in a dumb way.

5. Oops I forgot about this ddd.

I think my 12 and 11 will do well without my vote, but they would have been...

12. Come Undone
    11. Ordinary World

6. Not me sleeping through all the Arcadia reveals when that's where all my points went. So Red the Rose remains one of my Top 5 albums of all time. Absolutely love it.

7. I like White Lines (the song - no desire to give myself a stroke with popular stimulants), but I am entirely OK with two covers being the first songs out.

8. Let us go into the Top 40 and it will come as no surprise to see the track that falls here, I think this is a pretty decent stab at a cover version although to be honest nothing will get near the original for me

Perfect Day
    Score 81.40 Average 6.26 Highest Score 9 (Blaahh) Lowest Score 5 (MylesAngel, Letuinmybackdoor, JonBCN)
    Other Scores
    8 (Unnameable, RaggedTiger) 6 (Eric Generic, Epic Chocolat, Auntie Beryl, Hairycub1969, Simes1970)
    5.9 (Untouchable Ace) 5.5 (Remorque)

Comments Include
    " I think Lou Reed got it right, it is a very good version, dreamy and reminds me of late summer." (Blaahh)
    "I like this cover a lot. Personally think its better than most other versions. After Duran it feels quite a few decided to cover it." (RaggedTiger)

9. And at 39 a medley you say? Sorry to say this is not my cup of tea but it does get a slightly higher score than I was going to give for at least trying something different for a medley/megamix.

Burning The Ground
    Score 84.30 Average 6.48 Highest Score 9.5 (Unnameable) Lowest Score 3 (Letuinmybackdoor)
    Other Scores 8 (MylesAngel) 7.2 (Epic Chocolat) 7.1 (Untouchable Ace)
    7 (Blaahh, JonBCN, Hairycub1969, Eric Generic) 6.5 (RaggedTiger) 6 (Remorque) 5 (Auntie Beryl)
    4 (Simes1970)

Comments Include
    " Good medley of their 80’s singles!" (Hairycub1969)
    "Quite a clever idea rather than a predictable lazy medley, which is almost great." (RaggedTiger)
    " Bewildering way to end 1989, though the mashup could be seen as experimental these days." (Blaahh)

10. Burning The Ground did my head in when on the charts in 1989, but listening now, I can see how clever it was.

11. White Lines got 6 because at least it has some oomph to it, Five Years and Perfect Day are too bland for me so they both got 5 (my lowest score).

Surprised that Burning The Ground has left so early. It's like a Jive Bunny megamix, but much better because of the superior instrumentation.

12. I'm seeing them tonight in Leicester. Really excited to see them in a small venue for once.

13. You lucky thing. Saw them in a 200 capacity venue in around 2011 and was special. At the time they played pretty much all of All you need is now, along with hold back the rain, Shadows on your side and a few other rarities.

Report back after the gig please as I would be interested to hear how it went.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  14. After the gig? I can't wait that long...please please tell me now.

15. So, last night
    They were amazing. It was so good to see them in a small venue, slightly less slick than normal but still a great show. The set was very Rio and Futurepast heavy. Fan favourites were Is there anyone out there? Hold back the rain and The chauffeur. Tons of hits too, a view to a kill, union of the snake were ones i don't recall them playing on the last few tours. Notorious, Planet Earth, Ordinary world, Come undone, What happens tomorrow were all played. The show ended with Save a prayer and Rio and jeez, it was hot in there!

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  16. My mate went to and loved it too. It's pretty rare for them to play small venues so would have been a treat. He's going again tonight so hopefully so other gems will be dusted off. Again I just hope they are brave to keep some of the lessee known classics (anyone out there, hold back the rain) in the setlist for the future UK tour. Glad you had a blast.

17. Only downer was they didn't perform my 12!

18. We go to the band's latest album Future Past for the next track to leave. I find it catchy but not a typical Duran track you can hear the influence of Georgio Moroder whom produced it.

Tonight United
    Score 86.15 Average 6.62 Highest Score 8.7 (Untouchable Ace) Lowest Score 2 (Blaahh)
    Other Scores 8.5 (MylesAngel) 8 (Epic Chocolat) 7.75 (Remorque) 7.5 (Auntie Beryl)
    7.2 (JonBCN) 7 (Letuinmybackdoor, RaggedTiger, Simes1970) 6 (Unnameable)
    5.5 (Eric Generic) 4 (Hairycub1969)

Comments Include

"Bilgewater with a generic lyric" (Blaahh)
    "Definitely better songs on the album. Its okay and repetitive/catchy enough I guess." (RaggedTiger)

19. At 37 a track I did not hear at the time so came to the rate looking at the song as something new to me, it's a very good ballad I feel.

Someone Else Not Me
    Score 86.60 Average 6.66 Highest 9 (Eric Generic) Lowest Score 4 (Blaahh)
    Other Scores 8.1 (Untouchable Ace) 8 (Epic Chocolat) 7.5 (MylesAngel, Remorque)
    7 (Unnameable, RaggedTiger, Simes1970) 6 (AuntieBeryl, Letuinmybackdoor)
    5 (Hairycub1969) 4.5 (JonBCN)

Comments Include
    " A nice ballad. A bit forgettable but still very pleasant." (RaggedTiger)
    " Just baffling as to why anyone thought this was a single, mediocre and dreary song which sank Pop Trash before it started."

20. The truth. I was too generous with my score.

Remorque and Blaahh like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.