DURAN DURAN UK Singles Rate 1981 - 2022 WINNER REVEALED

No 41 is a cover version which is plesant enough without being anything special

Five Years
Score 70 Average 5.88 Highest Score 8 (Epic Chocolat) Lowest Score 3 (Hairycub1969)
Other Scores 7.5 (Auntie Beryl) 6.5 (Untouchable Ace, Remorque, Unnameable)
6 (Eric Generic, RaggedTiger, Letuinmybackdoor, Simes1970) 5.5 ( JonBCN) 5 (MylesAngel)
4 (Blaahh)
Comments Include
"A decent stab at Bowie. Duran are never great at doing covers and not something I wound go back to often." (RaggedTiger)
" Duran have cranked out so many pedestrian Bowie covers." (Blaahh)

Let us go into the Top 40 and it will come as no surprise to see the track that falls here, I think this is a pretty decent stab at a cover version although to be honest nothing will get near the original for me

Perfect Day
Score 81.40 Average 6.26 Highest Score 9 (Blaahh) Lowest Score 5 (MylesAngel, Letuinmybackdoor, JonBCN)
Other Scores
8 (Unnameable, RaggedTiger) 6 (Eric Generic, Epic Chocolat, Auntie Beryl, Hairycub1969, Simes1970)
5.9 (Untouchable Ace) 5.5 (Remorque)

Comments Include
" I think Lou Reed got it right, it is a very good version, dreamy and reminds me of late summer." (Blaahh)
"I like this cover a lot. Personally think its better than most other versions. After Duran it feels quite a few decided to cover it." (RaggedTiger)

And at 39 a medley you say? Sorry to say this is not my cup of tea but it does get a slightly higher score than I was going to give for at least trying something different for a medley/megamix.

Burning The Ground
Score 84.30 Average 6.48 Highest Score 9.5 (Unnameable) Lowest Score 3 (Letuinmybackdoor)
Other Scores 8 (MylesAngel) 7.2 (Epic Chocolat) 7.1 (Untouchable Ace)
7 (Blaahh, JonBCN, Hairycub1969, Eric Generic) 6.5 (RaggedTiger) 6 (Remorque) 5 (Auntie Beryl)
4 (Simes1970)

Comments Include
" Good medley of their 80’s singles!" (Hairycub1969)
"Quite a clever idea rather than a predictable lazy medley, which is almost great." (RaggedTiger)
" Bewildering way to end 1989, though the mashup could be seen as experimental these days." (Blaahh)

White Lines got 6 because at least it has some oomph to it, Five Years and Perfect Day are too bland for me so they both got 5 (my lowest score).

Surprised that Burning The Ground has left so early. It's like a Jive Bunny megamix, but much better because of the superior instrumentation.

I'm seeing them tonight in Leicester. Really excited to see them in a small venue for once.
You lucky thing. Saw them in a 200 capacity venue in around 2011 and was special. At the time they played pretty much all of All you need is now, along with hold back the rain, Shadows on your side and a few other rarities.

Report back after the gig please as I would be interested to hear how it went.

Last edited:
So, last night
They were amazing. It was so good to see them in a small venue, slightly less slick than normal but still a great show. The set was very Rio and Futurepast heavy. Fan favourites were Is there anyone out there? Hold back the rain and The chauffeur. Tons of hits too, a view to a kill, union of the snake were ones i don't recall them playing on the last few tours. Notorious, Planet Earth, Ordinary world, Come undone, What happens tomorrow were all played. The show ended with Save a prayer and Rio and jeez, it was hot in there!

Last edited:
My mate went to and loved it too. It's pretty rare for them to play small venues so would have been a treat. He's going again tonight so hopefully so other gems will be dusted off. Again I just hope they are brave to keep some of the lessee known classics (anyone out there, hold back the rain) in the setlist for the future UK tour. Glad you had a blast.

We go to the band's latest album Future Past for the next track to leave. I find it catchy but not a typical Duran track you can hear the influence of Georgio Moroder whom produced it.

Tonight United
Score 86.15 Average 6.62 Highest Score 8.7 (Untouchable Ace) Lowest Score 2 (Blaahh)
Other Scores 8.5 (MylesAngel) 8 (Epic Chocolat) 7.75 (Remorque) 7.5 (Auntie Beryl)
7.2 (JonBCN) 7 (Letuinmybackdoor, RaggedTiger, Simes1970) 6 (Unnameable)
5.5 (Eric Generic) 4 (Hairycub1969)

Comments Include

"Bilgewater with a generic lyric" (Blaahh)
"Definitely better songs on the album. Its okay and repetitive/catchy enough I guess." (RaggedTiger)

At 37 a track I did not hear at the time so came to the rate looking at the song as something new to me, it's a very good ballad I feel.

Someone Else Not Me
Score 86.60 Average 6.66 Highest 9 (Eric Generic) Lowest Score 4 (Blaahh)
Other Scores 8.1 (Untouchable Ace) 8 (Epic Chocolat) 7.5 (MylesAngel, Remorque)
7 (Unnameable, RaggedTiger, Simes1970) 6 (AuntieBeryl, Letuinmybackdoor)
5 (Hairycub1969) 4.5 (JonBCN)

Comments Include
" A nice ballad. A bit forgettable but still very pleasant." (RaggedTiger)
" Just baffling as to why anyone thought this was a single, mediocre and dreary song which sank Pop Trash before it started."