Early 2000s Rock Chicks Rate - [WINNER + Voter Averages] | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

Early 2000s Rock Chicks Rate - [WINNER + Voter Averages]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by slaybellz, Mar 1, 2021.

1. The last two eliminations are what the doctor ordered after the ghastly elimination of "First" at #41.

Skye Sweetnam - Tangled Up In Me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    13/24

Score: 7.463

My Score: 8
    Highest: 10 x 5 (@soratami, @unnameable, @Pineapple, @ohnostalgia, @Music Is Death)
    Lowest: 1.5 x 1 (@berserkboi)

Tangled Up In Me is the second single from Skye's debut album Noise From The Basement. It was released in 2004 and charted at #22 in Canada. The song also became her best charting single in the US after it was featured in an episode of MTV's Laguna Beach, reaching #37 on the Billboard Mainstream Top 40.

Since then Skye has released one other solo album in 2007, called Sound Soldier. She's done several songs for soundtracks, theme songs for TV shows, and is now the lead singer of a metal band called Sumo Cyco.

@berserkboi (1.5) - Feeling generous and not giving a zero to my least favourite PJ00s entry next to Is He Gay Or European and Fucksticks dddd.

@DJHazey (9.25) - Probably her best-ranked song unless @berserkboi votes and has something to say about it. It’ll earn that crown with reason mind you. Ugh, stuff like the way she sings “waant you” and her ‘cutesy’ edge to “hey hey hey” & “tangled up in meh” highlight why I fell in love with her in the first place. The nostalgia!

@unnameable (10) - The title makes me confuse it.

@Pineapple (10) - I like this slightly more poppier sound from Skye. A really sweet track.

@Sprockrooster (9.5) - In my spotlight what we could have rated I mentioned Skye in my Canada write-up and I said Tangled Up In Me was my fave from her alongside Human. I am definitely glad it made it’s way in another poprock rate cause Skye deserves the recognition at least from us, but should have gotten from the world instead.

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. *goes to @berserkboi's house and makes whatever Dalida physical collection he has mysteriously disappear for a few days*

5. Colour me shocked that my low points didn’t only prevent a Top 10 placement, rather a lot of voters must have been ambivalent at best while scoring too!

Let’s focus on the positive - Skye did get a 7.5 from me so there are tracks of hers I enjoy!

6. A banger

7. [​IMG]

Chantal Kreviazuk - In This Life

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    12/24

Score: 7.468

My Score: 8.5
    Highest: 10 x 3 (@unnameable, @Robsolete, @Music Is Death)
    Lowest: 3.5 x 1 (@Hurricane Drunk) 4 x 2 (@Daniel_O, @Blond)

In This Life was the lead single to Chantal's third album What If It All Means Something. It was released in 2002, and although it missed out on the Canadian charts, it charted at #17 on the US Adult Top 40. The song was also featured in the 2004 film Saved! as well as an episode of the tv show Smallville.

Chantal is another one of those Canadian artists whose songs I constantly heard on the radio as a kid but never actually knew who sang them until now. According to her Wikipedia this album appears to be her least successful, bar the one she released last year probably. She seemed to have been much more successful in the 90s, however if you look at her Spotify, the songs from this album are definitely the most streamed, sowhatisthetruth.gif

She's also a pretty prolific songwriter who has credits on songs by a lot of pop faves including some in this rate, like Avril Lavigne, Kelly Clarkson, Cheyenne Kimball, Hilary Duff, Gwen Stefani and The Veronicas. This list goes on!

@Sprockrooster (8) - Me: who-is-that.gif… also me: I am bopping.

@berserkboi (8) - A very pretty discovery!

@livefrommelbs (8.5) - I'm not super familiar with much of Chantal's music, but I really like this. She's got a great voice.

@DJHazey (7.25) - Sounding somewhere between Sarah McLachlan and her Under My Skin penned tracks, yet not really being as interesting as that marriage may seem. Kind of ...just there, I’m sorry to say.

@saviodxl (9.1) - I loved Sheryl Crow`s younger sister here <3.

@unnameable (10) - One of her absolute best.

8. [​IMG]

Melissa O'Neil - Let It Go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    11/24

Score: 7.476

My Score: 7.5
    Highest: 10 x 1 (@Music Is Death) 9.8 x 1 (@Conan)
    Lowest: 3 x 1 (@theincredibleflipper) 4 x 1 (@Pineapple)

Let It Go was Melissa's second single from her self titled debut album. It was released in 2005 and charted at #7 in Canada.

@unnameable (6) - Reasonable enough, but not particularly distinctive in this line-up.

@Sprockrooster (7.5) - I do view this more as good filler on an album, then an actual single to be honest.

@DJHazey (8.25) - Why lead with Alive when I’d imagine this bop would kick things off with more energy at least? Too bad it’s not on Spotify for me, I’d certainly add this and play like a dozen more times in the next six months.

@Memoria (8) - Rare example from this genre of the chorus letting the rest of the song down. Had the potential to be my favourite discovery of this rate.

@livefrommelbs (9) - Fantastic chorus on this one!

@berserkboi (9.5) - Loving this! PJ00s eligible??

@Epic Chocolat (9) - Discovery of the rate, I want to hear more.

9. Poor these Canadian girlies getting culled and generating zero reaction. Tomorrow, our first Extra falls!

10. Poor 'Let It Go'! Deserved so much better! I'd say leave the Canadians alone but I would like 'Precious Illusions' to vacate the premises, so that's not entirely true. 'Hands Clean' can wait until the top 10-15 though.

Kinda hoping it's 'Overrated' that goes from the Extras.

slaybellz likes this.
  11. @Untouchable Ace - come collect Melbs for wishing the demise of a Sugababe!! Ddd

12. HA! i was going to say in my original post that I may incur the wrath of the Sugarbabies, but given Ace didn't take part I feel like my prophecy may still come to fruition.

Watch it be 'What's Going On' ddddd

13. It better be either that or Misfits because the other three extras really shouldn't be going anywhere yet.

slaybellz and Verandi like this.
  14. [​IMG]

slaybellz and Phonetics Girl like this.
  15. I have to admit a bunch of these smaller Canadian artists were a bit "whatever" to me, but I think we're getting to the point of the rate where there are nearly only the heavy hitters left, which is exciting. Could we maybe have a top 35 recap?

slaybellz and DJHazey like this.
  16. Ok, In This Life is not my fave Chantal song but Time deserves to be no lower than #15 and I will riot, just so you know!

17. I like all the extra songs but if I have to choose one to go first it would have to be Natalie.

slaybellz likes this.
  18. Top 35 is this:
    I'll do a proper one at the Top 30.

19. Someone help me reach the next page and i'll post the next elimination!

[​IMG]

20. Let’s pass this great song off as relevant Pop Rock ddd

soratami, Sprockrooster, Maki and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.