Early 2000s Rock Chicks Rate - [WINNER + Voter Averages] | Page 26 | The Popjustice Forum

Early 2000s Rock Chicks Rate - [WINNER + Voter Averages]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by slaybellz, Mar 1, 2021.

1. [​IMG]

Ashlee Simpson - La La

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    17/24

Score: 7.947

My Score: 8
    Highest: 10 x 8 (@Sprockrooster, @soratami, @DJHazey, @unnameable, @pop3blow2, @aux, @phily693, @Music Is Death)
    Lowest: 3 x 2 (@londonrain, @Guy)

La La was Ashlee's third single from her debut album Autobiography. It was released in 2004 and charted at #86 in the US. Although, the song performed much better abroad peaking at #10 in Australia and #11 in the UK.

Apparently the album's title track was initially planned as the third single for the era, however after her little mishap when she attempted to perform the song on a certain late night tv show (which we'll get into later), they decided to go with La La instead.

@berserkboi (7.5) - A bop for sure, but Ashlee’s affectations have prevented me from revisiting very much over the years!

@livefrommelbs (8.5) - That opening riff is a fucking serve, but it's a bit shouty and all over the shop.

@Epic Chocolat (8.5) - Banging!

@Memoria (9.5) - An oblivious tweenage me should absolutely NOT have been singing along to this as much as I did at the time. Inappropriate banger.

@saviodxl (9.6) - I'm pretty sure parents were concerned with the no so subtle sexual lyrics back in the day. You know what they say: the best way to make them want it is to make it forbidden. 13-year-old me fell right into this trap.

@unnameable (10) - I never did understand the “I’ll be your lemonade when I meet you at the door” of the clean version.

@Sprockrooster (10) - I am still disgusted with how this track was treated in the zeroes poprock rate cause it did not even manage to get to top 50. I am very pleased to see it getting a second chance! Boyfriend managed to get #15 in that rate. So I know she has the potential to go that far. But I am surely wishing for some rate-losing backlash here.

@DJHazey (10) - I’m not one to pump myself up over my commentary because it’s usually meh, but I’m always going to be proud of this one from an earlier rate. Clearly one of those times when it was probably like 1am and I was feeling the moment: "This is the peak of the energy-packed rebellious-yet-cute and adorable persona I love from Ashlee and why this has always been a favorite. The chorus always comes flying in like a slap to the face from Ashlee but somehow you look at her dancing around the kitchen, waving her hands around in her underwear with headphones on and you're ready to pour two bowls of cereal and watch Netflix with her for hours and forget she was ever mad.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Could’ve stayed longer, but I also want Time to keep beating songs.

3. Some of y'all never drank milk like an alley cat an it shows!

I understand we'll have a top 20 full of Avril/Michelle, but damn, these last two eliminations were hard to go through!

4. Guy

Guy

It’s what we deserve

5. I think I rated Pieces Of Me lower so not entirely happy La La fell first but around this spot seems right regardless.

The Ashlee songs that probably would have gotten higher scores from me are L.O.V.E and Outta My Head (though neither are particularly Pop Rock dd)

Music Is Death, Milotic and slaybellz like this.
  6. Guy

Guy

I finally realized what Ashlee’s vocals were reminding me of

7. 34. 31. Chantal Kreviazuk - Time

8. Top 30

[​IMG]
    9/24

Avril Lavigne - Complicated
    Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi
    Avril Lavigne - I'm With You
    Avril Lavigne - Losing Grip
    Avril Lavigne - Don't Tell Me
    Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending
    Avril Lavigne - Nobody's Home
    Fefe Dobson - Take Me Away
    Alanis Morissette - Hands Clean

[​IMG]
    17/24

Michelle Branch - Everywhere
    Michelle Branch - All You Wanted
    Michelle Branch - Are You Happy Now?
    Michelle Branch - Breathe
    Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway
    Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
    Kelly Clarkson - Behind These Hazel Eyes
    Ashlee Simpson - Pieces Of Me
    Hilary Duff - Come Clean
    Hilary Duff - So Yesterday
    P!nk - Just Like A Pill
    P!nk - Don't Let Me Get Me
    Stacie Orrico - Stuck
    Stacie Orrico - (There's Gotta Be) More To Life
    Samantha Ronson - Built This Way
    Liz Phair - Why Can't I?
    Jewel - Standing Still

[​IMG]
    4/5

Amy Studt - Misfit
    KT Tunstall - Suddenly I See
    Natalie Imbruglia - Wrong Impression
    Siobhan Donaghy - Overrated

9. Oh for fuck's sake, get taste!

slaybellz likes this.
  10. Aside from Take Me Away (6) and Breathe (7), every song in the top 30 got an 8+ score from me. Talent!

11. YES at Stacie Orrico getting both of her songs into the top 30.

12. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

The way the Canadian section is basically just Avril with a couple of other songs thrown in...

13. 2014

2014 Staff Member

So Yesterday and Overrated can go!!

londonrain and slaybellz like this.
  14. These don't have the range teebs.

[​IMG]

Fefe Dobson - Take Me Away

[​IMG]

Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway
    Ashlee Simpson - Pieces Of Me

[​IMG]

Amy Studt - Misfit

slaybellz and berserkboi like this.
  15. Well time to post my lowest scores and run. *evil laugh*

Sk8er Boi
    Since U Been Gone
    Behind These Hazel Eyes
    So Yesterday
    Just Like a Pill
    Built This Way
    Why Can't I?
    Standing Still

Honestly how are a couple of these still in when we're cutting "La La" and "Confessions"

slaybellz likes this.
  16. Guy

Guy

Both her songs should be top 10 teebs

Miss Orrico was my favorite discovery of the rate. What a bop machine!

17. La La is the first real loss for me. I get why her vocals could grate on people but I’ve always thought that it added to the vibe. The middle 8 is absolutely heavenly though and one of the best parts of the album that’s not Surrender.

slaybellz likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

Samantha Ronson - Built This Way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    16/24

Score: 8.006

My Score: 10
    Highest: 10 x 9 (@soratami, @yeRleDanaL, @fatyoshi, @unnameable, @Hurricane Drunk, @phily693, @Memoria, @Music Is Death)
    Lowest: 5 x 2 (@2014, @londonrain)

Built This Way was the third single from Samantha's unreleased album Red. It was released in 2004 and is best known for being featured in the movie Mean Girls, starring her ex girlfriend Lindsay Lohan. I always wondered if they met through this movie or if it was just a coincidence? It also hit me recently that this song could very well be about her sexuality? Much to think about.

Samantha Ronson is mostly known for being a DJ, like her older brother Mark Ronson, but she also had a very short lived singing career. In 2002 she signed a record deal with Roc-A-Fella Records, the first rock act on their label, and released a series of singles. But ultimately had her album shelved before release due to the dissolution of the label.

[​IMG]

@Sprockrooster (9) - One of those tracks I easily forgot exists, but when I hear it again my childhood washes over me again.

@Memoria (10) - I revisited this song a lot last year since Carly Rae Jepsen's "Comeback" reminded me a lot of it. Both great songs.

[​IMG]

@DJHazey (6) - I had a nice line about who I was hearing in this voice, now I can’t put my finger on it, maybe Sky Ferreria or something I don’t know. Either way, kind of a throwaway filler-ish track from them!

[​IMG]

@berserkboi (8.5) - I know this tune from somewhere!!

@saviodxl (9.3) - Says "I know this song!" in Cady Heron's voice.

@unnameable (10) - All together now “I love this song” “I hate this song” “I know this song”

@livefrommelbs (8) - Love the Mean Girls representation in here!

19. Even though I didn’t vote I’m pretty pleased with the results! Confessions of a Broken Heart is top 20 material though, teebs.

Also I can’t with some of you hinting at giving Kelly and Pink low scores! They are all stone cold classics!

20. Built This Way has really stuck with me and I would have probably 10'd it today. The best discovery I made through this rate!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.