Early 2000s Rock Chicks Rate | Page 32 | The Popjustice Forum

Early 2000s Rock Chicks Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by slaybellz, Mar 1, 2021.

Jewel - Standing Still

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    12/24

Score: 8.560

My Score: 8.5
    Highest: 11 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @berserkboi) 10 x 10 (@theincredibleflipper, @soratami, @yeRleDanaL, @fatyoshi, @unnameable, @pop3blow2, @Pineapple, @ohnostalgia, @Slice of Life, @londonrain)
    Lowest: 4.5 x 1 (@Hurricane Drunk) 5 x 2 (@Blond, @phily693)

Standing Still was the first single from Jewel's third studio album This Way. It was released in 2001 and charted at #25 in the US.

She wrote the song after the release of her previous album, Spirit, while taking a break from her music career. In an interview backstage at the 2001 My VH1 Music Awards she explained the meaning behind the song:

"It's about the irony of how much a person travels in my job, and how it can really cause your emotional life to stand still. Fame really tolerates a prolonged adolescence, and your fame and career can outgrow your ability to handle it. You can get really spoiled, and I wanted to get away from that and make sure I wasn't standing still."

@Memoria (6.5) - The intro tricked me into thinking this would be something a bit moodier but sadly it never lived up to expectations. Another appropriate song title.

@DJHazey (6.75) - Not really sparking much interest in me but her voice is enough to make boring sound passable.

@livefrommelbs (8) - I never realised this was Jewel! This is nice.

@saviodxl (9.5) - Although she established herself as a countrystar, it's her attempts at being a popstar that got her some attention from me. Like in this track.

@unnameable (10) - After two albums of mixed brilliance and filler, this was the first time I heard Jewel and loved the opening few tracks of an album. “This Way” and “0304” are her best era.

@Pineapple (10) - Jewel’s voice is stunning, there’s an emotive quality about it that is pure gold. An anthem.

@berserkboi (11) - Jewel representation is always endorsed in Berserky World! EDIT: Putting my 11 support here I think!

@Sprockrooster (11) - Jewel has a special place in my heart. No matter what people say, but this is her best song. Back when I made own made tapes from radio rips this was actually the one which I taped the most. I was deeply in love with it and it just breathes nostalgia’s and high school feelings. There is something so powerfully captivating in those opening instrumentals and vocals. She really draws you into an emotional rollercoaster. A masterclass in writing. Not only an 11, but also an 11-contender for any early 00’s song.

londonrain, Guy, fatyoshi and 21 others like this.
  2. I expected my 11 would be falling soon! Glad Jewel did so well here!

3. 'Stand' is my fave song from Jewel. Always loved the message and how beautiful she looks in the music video.

londonrain, Verandi, soratami and 8 others like this.
  4. An 11 contender, right there.

5. Took me a while to see this but you all really have no taste.

6. [​IMG]

Avril Lavigne - Don't Tell Me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5/24

Score: 8.572

My Score: 9
    Highest: 10 x 11 (@Sprockrooster, @Phonetics Girl, @theincredibleflipper, @yeRleDanaL, @2014, @Blond, @Slice of Life, @AlmostFamous, @phily693, @Guy, @Music Is Death)
    Lowest: 4 x 1 (@londonrain) 5.5 x 1 (@LKane)

Don't Tell Me was the first single from Avril's second studio album Under My Skin. It was released in 2004 and charted at #5 in Canada.

In a 2004 interview for MTV she explained the meaning behind the song:

"It's about being strong. There are a lot of guys out there who just want to take you out to dinner and then, like basically go home and 'unhh' you. That's what a lot of guys are like and I just think girls need to be strong and not let any guy pressure them into doing anything."

@Memoria (7) - For me this is one of the weakest singles in her entire discography. It took years to grow on me but even then the verses are still a bit, to put it in early 2000s terms, "meh".

@berserkboi (8) - Stronger than I remember!

@Sprockrooster (10) - Am I the only who hears a car with screeching tires right before the chorus as I watched the music video so many times. Somehow it became part of the song for me.

@livefrommelbs (9) - The other 'Under My Skin' tracks in here are superior songs, but there's no denying the chorus on this one.

@DJHazey (9) - Dishes out a lot of that same attitude I’ve already touched upon especially that “don’t think that your charm and the fact your arm is now around my neck...” verse, which is always the most anticipated moment for me. This “you’re not going to mess with this girl” spirit of it is just glorious. The chorus then hammers the point home beautifully and we all stan a strong young female.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    londonrain, pop3blow2, Blond and 18 others like this.
  7. 'Don't Tell Me' was actually one of the biggest 're-discoveries' of this rate for me - in that I never outwardly forgot it, but I enjoyed it a whole lot more than I remember doing so when it was first released.

8. Also, imagine if Stacie Orrico won a 2000s rock chicks rate? Scream, but also correct.

londonrain, pop3blow2, Blond and 12 others like this.
  9. Hint for tomorrow's elimination: An artist loses their first song!

10. So Canada is safe then. I'm hoping it's one of these
    Michelle Branch - Are You Happy Now?
    Michelle Branch - Breathe
    Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway
    P!nk - Just Like A Pill
    P!nk - Don't Let Me Get Me
    Stacie Orrico - Stuck​

But I'm ready for y'all to do Wrong Impression dirty.

londonrain, berserkboi and slaybellz like this.
  11. I feel like the most likely ones are Breakaway and Don't Let Me Get Me, since y'all are probably gonna be tasteless. Maybe one of Stacie's songs. If it's Wrong Impression, that'd would be funny, just cause it's her only song, but I don't think @slaybellz would trick us like that. Maybe I'm wrong ddddd.
    You do know this is likely to make the top 10 right?

slaybellz and berserkboi like this.
  12. Yes but I'm still bitter about it winning the P!nk rate. It also has terrible mixing, almost like Breakaway.

13. But it deserved to win the P!nk rate?? Yes, Who Knew or Sober should have won over it, but still.

Also, Don't Tell Me is great, but I'm not mad about it leaving now. Before getting into Avril's music as a teen, My Happy Ending was the only song from Under My Skin I knew, and Don't Tell Me actually had to grow on me. Now I just really love the attitude, and the lyrics. The chorus is so good.

slaybellz likes this.
  14. Poor Michelle

[​IMG]

Oops, wrong Michelle.
    [​IMG]

Michelle Branch - Are You Happy Now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    11/24

Score: 8.617

My Score: 10
    Highest: 11 x 1 (@Crisp X) 10 x 9 (@theincredibleflipper, @soratami, @livefrommelbs, @DJHazey, @Milotic, @Slice of Life, @phily693, @Music Is Death)
    Lowest: 5.5 x 1 (@Hurricane Drunk) 6 x 1 (@Pineapple)

Are You Happy Now? was the lead single from Michelle's second album Hotel Paper. It was released in 2003 and charted at #16. It was also her highest-charting single on the US Adult Top 40 chart, peaking at #3.

The song was Grammy nominated for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance, against the likes of Avril Lavigne with Losing Grip and P!nk with Trouble, losing out to the latter.

@Memoria (7.5) - Michelle Branch and Avril Lavigne were always my two absolute favourites in the early 2000s, so it's fitting that they both share a disappointing, but not bad, lead single from their respective sophomore albums. For what it's worth, Are You Happy Now was always slightly less disappointing.

@Sprockrooster (8.5) - I am loving the sas this brings. She will not be messed with.

@berserkboi (9.5) - I loved when she added an extra bite to her repertoire!

@theincredibleflipper (10) - Another case of an incredible run.

@livefrommelbs (10) - I fucking love the anger you can hear in Michelle's voice as she builds up from the verses to that explosive chorus. SO GOOD!

@DJHazey (10) - Since All You Wanted is usually the bridesmaid at best when it comes to Michelle’s discography, I end up rallying behind this because it’s a 15/10 in a world where All You Wanted can get a 20/10. I would say it has one important little thing on big sister and that’s the way I scream at the top of my lungs to this chorus harder than most songs ever written.

16. Take the keyboards away from some of you, you're clearly not responsible with how you score songs with them!

Also I forgot how much my commentary exposed my 11.

17. Great options either way, Monsieur!

livefrommelbs, slaybellz and DJHazey like this.
  18. That being the first Michelle cut is a damn mess.

19. If a Michelle song has to go, I'm glad it's this one.

20. I know you're coming for Breathe so no, I must state no Michelle song needed to go until the Top 10!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.