Early 2000s Rock Chicks Rate | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

Early 2000s Rock Chicks Rate

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by slaybellz, Mar 1, 2021.

1. That's it for the tagging spree!

It's nice to find someone who's an even bigger fan than me!

Haha I know but it's easier to just tag everyone instead of going back and seeing who's posted already.

Ok no worries! I'll remove you from my list and won't tag you further.

2. True! Definitely have experienced that haha.

3. Thank you for the tag.

But I preferred @Sprockrooster's version of this rate sorry, I can't do this one.

berserkboi and slaybellz like this.
  4. Way to make most people here feel old dd

5. Slice of Life

Slice of Life Staff Member

Commenting so I don't forget to vote. Please, please, PLEASE harass me like 2 weeks before the deadline @slaybellz!!!

Also don't forget to give your 10s and 11s to Kween Stacie Orrico!!!!!!!!! Both Stuck and (There's Gotta Be) More to Life are fucking classiques so y'all better put some respect on their names!!!
    [​IMG]

6. My favourite Popjustice past-time!
    I wasn't even born when several of them came out.

I only skimmed the list earlier and I've just seen another 11 contender - I'm actually agonising over what to choose. But I suppose on the plus side that's already ~7 songs I'd be really happy to see win.

7. Wait - are you younger then me?

8. I loved Skye in my preteen years! She’s very underrated!

soratami, Crisp X and slaybellz like this.
  9. You really thought I wouldn't take part?
    [​IMG]

10. This is just the tonic needed for life right now. Due to these albums being released during my formative years - transcending from discman to iPod ddd, I've unironically claimed at least five of those albums as "my Jagged Little Pill" i.e. serious musical awakening.

11. Also (apologies for the double post), but I feel this deserves a special mention for being a self-funded bop, a statement AND made me reach for the blue/black home box dye kit and eye-liner during this phenomenal era of music.

Remorque, londonrain, Island and 5 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]

Remorque, tombiz, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  13. Songs We Could Have Rated #1

Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles

When you think of Early 2000s Pop-rock girls like Avril Lavigne and Michelle Branch, you can't not think of Vanessa Carlton as well. Her piano based pop-rock songs like A Thousand Miles, Ordinary Day, and White Houses are absolutely classics that would usually sit alongside these songs on most early noughties throwback playlists. I know rockstars play the piano too, but in the end I decided to go with a more guitar based sound for the rate.

Sheryl Crow - Soak Up The Sun

While 90s rock chicks like Alanis Morissette and Liz Phair were able to sneak into this rate, Sheryl Crow on the other hand didn't quite make the cut. I considered including some of her early 2000s hits but thought Soak Up The Sun might have been a bit too Pop for the sound I was going for and her cover of The First Cut Is The Deepest a little too Adult Contemporary.

Aslyn - Be The Girl

So I actually wasn't familiar with this song before, I discovered it song while compiling my list. And contrary to the previous songs I thought it fit the sound I was going for perfectly. Unfortunately since the US section was already jam packed and this song didn't seem that popular it didn't quite make the cut.

Hoku - Perfect Day

Perfect Day, also known as the theme song for the early 2000 classic movie Legally Blonde, was very close to making the cut. I also thought this song fit the rate perfectly, but in the end I decided to exclude it for the same reasons as Be The Girl.​

14. This better be All You Wanted?

I can't remember what won her rate.

15. Island

Island Staff Member

The Amy Studt album is actually really good even if it is very "Avril goes to stage school" at times. I love these little haunting moments:

16. My scores are in! What a fab rate.

17. Yes. While I love all of her songs represented, this will always be God Tier to me.

18. @slaybellz - I like to use quarter-points (0.25 and 0.75) along with full points and half points, is this okay?

---

Of the artists mentioned in the first 'songs we could've rated' obviously my heart is with Vanessa but we didn't need to deny the other artists a chance at winning by having White Houses storm the field again. Good charitable decision.

19. Hmm. I would prefer not. The reason I put "up to 1 decimal place" in the rules is because sometimes people get a little crazy with their decimals. Quarter points isn't as bad but since I put it in the rules and people have already submitted their ballots doing so I would prefer everyone just keep it the same. But if quarter points is something people really like to use i'll consider allowing it in future rates.

20. Okay I'll just round to .3 and .8 then!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.