EastEnders

It truly is just very, very dull. Not even enjoyably bad, just boring. The ratings are shite at the minute too, if someone had told me just a few months after live week they'd be scraping just over 5 million I wouldn't have believed it.

This really annoys me too. Months of build-up, only for their happiness to last two weeks. It makes the fallout less effective.
Yeah, everything turns around so quickly these days. I know it's a soap opera and they need to give people things to do, but it's hard to care about the cracks in a relationship when they've only been together 5 minutes Ronnie & Charlie, Sharon & Phil, Jane & Ian, Vincent & Kim, Ben & Abi, Kush and Shabz Lez & Pam and even buster has got his eye on someone who isn't Shirley. I think that's all the major couples I can think of and and every single one is has something making them miserable, of there's a ticking time bomb just waiting to ruin the relationships.

i always thought Charlie and Stacey would have been perfect to "live happily ever after" on the square, but it wasn't meant to be. Same with Kush and Shabz. I was hoping after how long it took them to get there they'd be happy together for a bit, almost right away Kush and Stacey are setting up a wedding day """shock""" affair reveal.

Its so predictable these days. I hope it improves later in the year when Kaffiyeh returns.

He/They
The whole unresolved issue with Dean being a rapist taints any storyline they put him in, I can't enjoy him and Roxy messing around, and I certainly don't care about Jade. Is he not the Dad then? Is that what we have to take from last night?

It seemed like Buster tore up the result because it confirmed Dean is the dad and he's starting to doubt Dean's innocence.

It truly is just very, very dull. Not even enjoyably bad, just boring

In a nutshell this. I am even finding Corrie more watchable nowadays because it's so bad it's almost good if that makes sense. EE is just so boring, not one interesting thing going on. I'm like you lot in that I could never stop watching it but there is nothing to make casual viewers tune in. It seems like DTC had a very clear plan from Autumn 2013 to Live Week 2015 (I remember being shocked how quickly he turned it round, how amazing it was when the Carters first came in and how I actually used to look forward to it) and after that it's all just fallen apart. It's summer therefore it's shit shouldn't be OK.

For me, he had a great first few months. Then a strong run, if there was a few dark spots, until the wedding week in September. Then a huge dip as Linda and Mick played the same scene over again for three months, poor Christmas, great New Year episode, middling run up to the lives, fantastic live week, and poorer and poorer ever since.

Ronnie, Stacey and Sharon - the holy trinity, at the forefront of the show, should not be this boring. How do you even manage to make it so?!

F

Former member 330

I'm almost suspicious they're deliberately running it into the ground so that Kathy's return seems BRILLIANT by comparison. Know what I mean? It's like they've got something to prove by bringing her back, which is so unrealistic. Bearing in mind that they wanted to bring Ben Mitchell back years ago and the only plausible way Kathy would be without him was if she was dead. Now they've got to back track on that without completely ruining the character...

Another thought I had, Gavin is Ben's dad - he adopted him legally. He raised him for longer than Phil, didn't he? About 10 years?

I'm pretty sure the majority of casuals won't give a shit about Kathy being back. She's not appeared at all this century. They really shouldn't be pinning their hopes on her saving the show. Especially looking back at how shit Sharon's return was and how long it took her to become a good character (two years!).

Although, I will say a wine sipping Ronnie ignoring Sharon to pick up Roxy, so she wouldn't get cockblocked, was one of the highlights of the week.

F

Former member 330

I'm pretty sure the majority of casuals won't give a shit about Kathy being back. She's not appeared at all this century. They really shouldn't be pinning their hopes on her saving the show. Especially looking back at how shit Sharon's return was and how long it took her to become a good character (two years!).

Yes, her return was pathetic and that only improved once DTC took over.

What happened besides the crash? I honestly can't remember.

Well you had the fallout after the crash, Nick being exposed as the one who cut the brakes, Sharon going into full on matriarch mode, Ben signing the Arches papers over to Max, Kim's return and Denise abusing Patrick (?), Linda making a statement to the police, all the Carters (when they still had a bit of enjoy-ability left in them) spilling family secrets in the living room, Shabnam revealing the truth about her daughter.

It was just all very high quality I thought.

Major character is off.

Sad face.

The best actress that soap has ever had is off.

I wonder if they'll kill her off? She has got to go for a checkup....

Can't blame her for quitting with the latest love interest they've given her....

He/They
We suspected this to be happening soon, when DTC let slip he had convinced her to stay an extra year, for the cancer storyline, and then has given her nothing to do since. Lindsay Coulson really is one of my favourite actresses on the show, and practically stunning in anything they've ever given her, infact her return in 99 ranks as one of my all time favourite EE stories (yes, the Bianca/Dan/Carol triangle),
Scenes like during Live Week, where she was a lynchpin in the brief Nick Death Cover-Up plot, showed what a strong and great character she is, it's just a shame DTC really seems to play flavour of the month with his characters, instead of letting them shine constantly, like you find on Emmerdale.

The Kathy and Gavin suff looks interesting, I need something to pull me back into it, I didn't even watch Thursday's episode this week, and haven't bothered to catch it.