EastEnders

I don't understand how anyone could argue that Stacey's mental health in this current storyline is anything but sensationalist. Of course, what Stacey is experiencing is a real issue but it rarely manifests itself in the way that EastEnders is portraying. Obviously a soap is never really grounded in realism, hence why many aspects of this storyline are far-fetched.

My 'physcotic whimpering' comment was more to do with Lacey's acting: I think that she's a competent actress, but she's been delivering every single line in the exact same way for the past month.

I take issue at being called ignorant due to one comment about a soap character.
Actually I've not seen any one say that its sensationalist. In fact if anything people have been praising the show for how accurate it has been portrayed. Look up some tweets from Thursday night, hundreds of women who've experienced it singing its praises.

And its not as if its a random mental issue, she's bi-polar, she's pre-disposed to conditions like Postpartum Psychosis. Its one of the better written storylines at the moment, they foreshadowed this kinda thing about 6 months ago when she came off her medication.

The only thing I can fault the storyline on is how Martin tried to cover it up, knowing her history and his concern, it made no real sense to cover for her and how after having a major public meltdown in the vic, seeing demons and holding the son of god, she ran away, and not one person, not her mother, cousin or boyfriend went after her.

They should replay the same storyline but with Shabnam claiming that she's getting messages about her child and being told what to do by Allah. Unfortunately, I don't think that the public response would be so sympathetic.

Reactions: SBK
He/They
I like how it's all built up, from those relatively simple scenes at the end of summer, where her and Martin decided she should come off her meds when pregnant....
DTC has got it all so right, if the payoff is as great, he has another classic storyline to add to his legacy.

I like how it's all built up, from those relatively simple scenes at the end of summer, where her and Martin decided she should come off her mends when pregnant....
DTC has got it all so right, if the payoff is as great, he has another classic storyline to add to his legacy.

You're right about the build up. I can't help but think of the scene about 8 weeks ago in the Minute Mart where everyone was discussing the Nativity play and she made some brief comment about thinking it was a load of rubbish. Incredible to see how the story has built.

Its been very well done. The lazy writing last week with her running off has really bugged me though. I know we're supposed to suspend disbelief, but no family member or lover would have let her run off into the night with her baby.

Paul declaring his love for Ben after a fumble in a funeral parlour, the arches and car lot is bizarre. I think I can see where DTC is trying to take it. Making it a big secret love story... but all we've seen is them hookup and have some awkward encounters that end with Ben exerting his straightness and storming off.

I was just like "hahaha what" when he said he loved Ben, because I don't think the build up had enough to make me believe it. It always seemed more about the gay guy fantasy of getting with the 'straight' guy and revelling in the secret.

F

Former member 330

Kathy is just rubbish, isn't she? "This family"... oh please. They need to give her a storyline and somewhere of her own to live. It's really weird they've stuck her on the market ("paaand a bunch!") and are dressing her like 80s Kathy. She hasn't worked on the market since about 1987.

Ben and Paul in 40 years time:

article-devito16f-0315.jpg