Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue (4th Album - July 17th) | Page 183 | The Popjustice Forum

Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue (4th Album - July 17th)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by D.Jay, Apr 25, 2017.

1. And she basically not including her best charting song of this "era" in the album is a bit... weird. Also, poor Sixteen.

I have to agree!
    Even in the US Close To Me was #2 on Pop Songs at some point, only behind Ariana. And she managed to get a #24 in the Hot 100 there so

2. River was an Amazon commission, exclusive to them for 1 year, so that's why it cannot be on the album... it is not on Spotify/Apple streaming/Itunes yet and cannot be for a while.

FINISH LINE and Yuri like this.
  3. [​IMG]

4. RJF

RJF

Also, let's be honest, about three people have actually heard "River" and even less have bought it.

5. The fact nearly everyone bought the excuse River got to Number 1 almost purely off of being one of the first songs played when asking Alexa to play Christmas songs... yeah, okay.

Leopold likes this.
  6. I've heard that she's already planning a re-release for this later in the year.

It will most likely include 'River' (hopefully 'Sixteen' too) and coincide with a tour announcement during the Christmas period.

I'm kinda pissed I brought every format now dddd

aux likes this.
  7. Island

Island Staff Member

Perched for Brightest Blue Halcyon Days.

saviodxl, aux and D.Jay like this.
  8. Brightester Bluest.

9. I read she was planning an album of covers that would include River but
    not sure if thats the expanded Brightest Blue, I really doubt it...

10. An album of covers? Sis...
    I don't think we d̶e̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶ want that! Even if is something like Natalie Imbruglia's Male

D.Jay likes this.
  11. Does anyone know how many albums she needs to release under Polydor (UK) / Interscope (US) to fulfil her contract?

I can't imagine her wanting to stay with them after the widely known issues she has had with getting this album out.

12. Her lyrics recently are so clunky. What happened her? The first two albums are brilliant, Delerium is half good and after that I lost all interest. Those shitty ballads made her a fortune I’m sure but I can’t listen to them.
    I don’t think she has it in her to be a worldwide big pop girl and I’m not even sure she wants to be. She will never top Your Biggest Mistake for me, such a brilliant brilliant pop song.

13. You can ask for the £8 refund for the tape set price drop they did last week in the Help & Support cancellation section, just mention the price drop and they’ll give you it back. I got my £8 back today.

D.Jay likes this.
  14. I really don't understand her label though... cos they wanted to make Ellie a bigger name and they bought her a couple of big songs like Burn and Love Me Like You Do... from Tedder and Max Martin's terms respectively... but then now with this new album, when it was time to shop for songs they went to Blackbear and Juice Wrld?? Of course it's a different kind of song... Why they didn't repeat the formula?

saviodxl likes this.
  15. I wondered the same... in fact Lights 20 could well have been another album to fullfill the commitment? It didn't seem to have any purpose.

D.Jay likes this.
  16. Please don’t remind me of Lights 10. Its existence is genuinely the stupidest thing in all of musical history and is more disappointing than my 2020. I’ve drunkenly put more effort into aiming where I was throwing up than they did with that pithy thing.

17. Don’t wanna burst your bubble but I’d say both iTunes and this tweet counteracts this assessment and arguably takes priority over the website. It still for sure means ego, but the 0 looks to be fully intentional:
    [​IMG]

Buckle up punk.

Time for some breakdown of the numbers, along with some observations and one kind assumption on Amazon’s behalf. Keep in mind, this all happened on a week where basically all of the Christmas songs performed better (position-wise, at least) than the previous weeks. 4 consecutive weeks where both All I Want For Christmas Is You and Last Christmas beat River, this is despite their numbers being cut in half by ACR.

Firstly, River sold a paltry 153 downloads versus Mariah’s 3,153 (4.8%) and Wham’s 2,426 (6.3%). That’s 15 to 20 times less digital sales.That excludes the fact that it didn’t even have physical sales as an option like the others (both did ~300) that week. Plus this analysis is fully ignoring the video streaming unit allocation issue.

Most damning of all:

Making the extremely generous assumption that *both* Last Christmas and All I Want For Christmas Is You were streamed once for every time they played River on Amazon then you can infer the following:

Spotify, YouTube Music, Apple Music, Tidal (laugh), Deezer, Soundcloud, ect’s listeners only accounted for a paltry third (34%) of the paid streaming market that week comparing those 3 songs.

On every other paid platform out there, Last Christmas only managed to be streamed 75% as much as River’s total. And All I Want For Christmas Is You could only do 79% as many plays as River.

On the ad-funded services out there, Last Christmas only managed to be streamed 59% as much as River’s total. And All I Want For Christmas Is You could only do 92% as many plays.

Industry figures obtained from here: https://chart-watch.uk/archives/2019/week-ending-january-2nd-2020

My calculations here:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  18. I fucking hate you for this dddd.

Subspace88 and saviodxl like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.