Emeli Sandé - New Singles | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Emeli Sandé - New Singles

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Island, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Poor Emeli! Unfortunately this is what happens when an artist takes such a long break after a debut album. I honestly think that’s what killed her career commercially.
    Our Version of Events remains a classic though, and Breathing Underwater is still stunning.

2. It's so strange how she was completely ignored after Our Version of Events. That album was similar to 21 in terms of unexpected huge success (yes I know it sold less than 21) and subsequent overexposure for a good 2 years, and yet when Adele came back the UK went crazy all over again for her.

The GP being tasteless and letting Hurts flop is another matter.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  3. Island

Island Staff Member

She waited too long and didn’t quite make it in America, and Adele already came back by the time she returned.

4. I’m not sure about the wait between albums killing her career.

I loved the first album but have found everything she has released after hasn’t been as good.

She should record a full album with Naughty Boy. They seem to make the best stuff together.

Deleted member 2097 likes this.
  5. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think she actually enjoyed the level of success and exposure brought about by the first album's success, and prefers things to be more low key.

Having said that, it's still a very typical case of the fickle public making someone a huge star for one album and then abandoning them. It happens time and time again. But as long as Emeli is happy and making music she loves for the people who still care it's all good. This album certainly sounds like it will be worth the wait.

6. Her music is very tame so it doesn't really stand out that much amongst its competition. She's still such an incredible talent though, I adore both of her albums and return to them quite frequently. I still don't understand the hate for Long Live The Angels, I get that it might be boring for some but there is some really good material on there that pulls on the heartstrings.

7. But she didn't take THAT huge a break to be fair...She also released a 2nd album in 2016 and she was releasing singles from that album in 2017. I think 2018 would have been too soon for another album....The whole thing seems so rushed...Extraordinary Being was brilliant but the album cover is awful, seems so cheap and tacky very low-budget even. I'd have preferred the Extraordinary Being single cover to be the album cover.
    [​IMG] r
    rather than
    [​IMG]

bonnieetclyde and zacagay like this.
  8. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

She's one of those weird cases of the music's success superseding the artist's. Even during the Our Version of Events era, I never really felt like she was a star in the same way Adele was (and still is). People bought her album because they'd heard a couple of her songs and liked them, but there was little investment in her as an artist - which meant she just didn't have the clout to reach those same heights after a four year break.

Island likes this.
  9. Island

Island Staff Member

Album is out!

The opener reminded me of Gabrielle.

10. I'm not sure what the point was of pushing the album back when it's probably going to do worse than it would have if released on the original date.

11. I agree. It looks like he hasn't done anything on the album.

maneater83 likes this.
  12. Still hate the album cover.

Record sounding good though...It's actually pretty decent!

It's very different than the first two records! Such a talent and incredibly brilliant songwriter. Goosebumps I am having on several songs...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Deleted member 2097 likes this.
  13. The album cover is like your aunt taking a casual snap in her new jumper that she got for xmas.

I love Shine and Sparrow, so i'm hopeful this is good.

Rob, life_is_good and maneater83 like this.
  14. I'm hardly a fan but the clips of this on iTunes sound rather promising so I'm going to give it a listen.

15. Is she touring this? If she can go top 10, Gold and have a successful tour then this will be a success overall.

16. She's really gone full Smooth Radio now hasn't she? The thing I liked about her at the beginning was that she found a way of being both timeless and contemporary but now she's just sounding old-fashioned.

Some properly ropey live performances have put me off her voice recently too. "Survivor" is a bloody row.

"You Are Not Alone" and "Free As A Bird" are the best songs here but it's a bigger drop in quality from album 2 to 3 than it was from 1 to 2.

4Roses, maneater83 and GRMusic like this.
  17. She's doing a theatre tour, which is a bit of a comedown from her arena days but most of the dates look like they're nearly sold out. I think she's managed to keep most of the mum fanbase from her first couple of eras.

I never really got into Emeli as an artist but it's been a shame to see that, yet again, British record labels simply have no clue how to handle a black female artist after their first album does well. It's a tale as old as time.

Mike and bonnieetclyde like this.
  18. How much of it is the label's fault though? It seems like this time at least she's made a conscious decision to go for a more old school soul sound. It sounds more like a Beverley Knight album.

Cognitive Dissonance likes this.
  19. On first listen the production sounds cheap, but some of the lyrics surprised me with how beautiful they are.

20. I’ve read generous reviews so far, nothing overly negative anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.