End of the Decade Lists | The Popjustice Forum

End of the Decade Lists

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Mvnl, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

This topic isn't for all your '10s lists (although I'm interested but I think there's a topic on it already) but more about 'how to compile a decadelong list', possibly even in order of preference..

It's been discussed before and I struggle as much as always with things like 'how the hell do I compare a ballad to an uptempo?' 'What about those songs that I loved at the time but have not aged very well?'. But with this massive undertaking I mainly struggle with 'where to start?'.
    I considered to start by making shortlists year by year.. but where is the lower bar? A top 100 a year? What if the bottom half of that list might actually be weaker than some #200 songs from another year?
    Am I aiming for a '10s top 1000? Top 500? Top 100? In a way I feel like I can only judge that when I have a clearer image of the quality of the upper X songs on such list.

Also, I'm half considering doing a '00s one first because at least all of those years have aged equally by now.

Must say for some arranging within a year this site has helped me, basically doing one on one battles between songs to properly realize how I felt about them.
    https://sortmatch.ca/

2. If you want to have 100 songs representing a decade (for example), selecting 50 for each year is already a bulletproof method not to miss any potential top100 song.

Mvnl likes this.
  3. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

This is a very good point.
    I just have to decide what kind of list I want to make really. And, (as with any 'how long am I gonna make this list?' choose whether I'm more for quality control or 'completion'.
    I mean, for a 'countdown' or just plain kind of list 100 is enough really.
    If I'm going for a playlist however.. yeah 10 songs a year do not do justice to a decade.

4. Well you can cheat! Last year I made a 100-songs "All time favorites" playlist and then added a "Honorable mentions" playlist with the songs I had to cut. The latter one included 400 songs.

Mvnl likes this.
  5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Haha I can see this happening here. It's just.. going through all possible inclusions (which is basically anything released within the decade) there's soo many songs that make me go 'ooh I loved this'. Way more than a 100 total for sure, and it kinda already makes me sad excluding them.

Revisiting a decade in pop is fun though. Also surprising how aged some early 10s stuff is, considering how quick these years went by

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Verandi likes this.
  6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Aaaand this just came by on shuffle and I forgot it even existed, an if this sets the bar, that will be a great 100.

7. I'm working on an all-time favorite songs playlist myself thru Spotify. I found out I might need to find a way to really narrow my scope of an 'all-time favorite' when I saw that 20 ABBA songs made the cut ddd.

Sprockrooster and Mvnl like this.
  8. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Haha well depends on how long the list is gonna be.. they got some great songs.
    My best of 2000s list will likely have about 20 Girls Aloud songs in it.

Untouchable Ace and DJHazey like this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

So I 'narrowed the decade down' to 800 songs. I thought I'd just do a few rounds of battles between songs on sortmatch to get a rough order, then start cutting from the bottom, but uh yeah... an 800+ song list really is waaaay to huge to do that with. And even though I aim at a top 500 at max, I still dread cutting a song that I might actually prefer to one of the ones still in there.

How do others handle huge lists and break up the sorting process?

10. I'd like to start a thread of End of the Decade lists, but maybe we can just change the title of this?

Mvnl likes this.
  11. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

12. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Oops, I didn't even look at the date. Will be interested to see your list if you do one though!

13. There will be an 'Ultimate Songs' and 'Ultimate Albums' countdown of this decade run next year where everyone will be able to send in their top picks to form a Popjustice ranking.

14. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Gonna first know my top picks to do so... Though the top 10 will probably be slightly easier than everything that follows

DJHazey likes this.
  15. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Staff Member

I've started with 2010 tonight, I don't really know what kind of format I'm expecting I will do but I've combed through my library, the UK singles charts for the year and Wikipedia for albums released in 2010 to go and find the songs that defined that time for me.

Best 5 albums of 2010 for me in no particular order...

Kelis - Flesh Tone
    Pendulum - Immersion
    Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
    Robyn - Body Talk
    Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Mvnl likes this.
  16. OMG - another decade is about to end?!? Where do they go?
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it"

17. oops,I have spent so much time on 80's retrocharts the last 2 years on popjustice, I forgot that new music was still being released!!

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.