ERASURATE

WELCOME TO ERASURATE the singles!

I am excited and terrified to be hosting this, my very first rate, for probably my very favorite band of all time ERASURRREEEEEE! Erasure formed in 1985 when Vince Clarke, formerly of Depeche Mode and Yazoo, placed an ad for a singer in Melody Maker magazine and Andy Bell answered. The rest is music history!

If any links don't seem like the best ones please let me know. I am writing to you from America and sometimes the links don't translate. I'm using a SoundCloud link for the newest single Reason as it's not being released officially until November, but the single mix has been posted there.

Voting will be open for the next two or three weeks or so. I'll be nailing down a date as I see what the response is like. I really want this to be a collaborative effort and to have as many people voting as possible to decide the best Erasure songs of all time!

Submit scores on a scale from 1 to 10 with half points totally acceptable and commentary strongly encouraged! Yay! Yahoo! Wild! Drama! Viva la Rasure!

WONDERLAND1986
Who Needs Love Like That
Heavenly Action
Oh L'Amour

THE CIRCUS1987
Sometimes
It Doesn't Have To Be
Victim Of Love
The Circus

THE INNOCENTS1988
Ship Of Fools
Chains Of Love
A Little Respect

CRACKERS INTERNATIONAL (EP)1988
Stop!

WILD!1989
Drama!
You Surround Me
Blue Savannah
Star

SUPERNATURE (SINGLE)1989
Supernature

CHORUS1991
Chorus
Love To Hate You
Am I Right?
Breath Of Life

ABBA-ESQUE (EP)1992
Take A Chance On Me

I SAY I SAY I SAY1994
Always
Run To The Sun
I Love Saturday

ERASURE1995
Stay With Me
Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)
Rock Me Gently

COWBOY1997
In My Arms
Don't Say Your Love Is Killing Me
Rain

LOVEBOAT2000
Freedom
Moon & The Sky

OTHER PEOPLE'S SONGS2003
Solsbury Hill
Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)

NIGHTBIRD2005
Breathe
Don't Say You Love Me
Here I Go Impossible Again
All This Time Still Falling Out Of Love

UNION STREET2006
Boy

LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD2007
I Could Fall In Love With You
Sunday Girl
Storm In A Teacup
Sucker For Love

TOMORROW'S WORLD2011
When I Start To (Break It All Down)
Be With You
Fill Us With Fire

SNOW GLOBE2013
Gaudete
Make It Wonderful

THE VIOLET FLAME2014
Elevation
Reason

Last edited:
ERASURATEthe results

#1Stop!
#2A Little Respect
#3Breath of Life
#4Sometimes
#5Ship of Fools
#6Drama!
#7Chorus
#8Blue Savannah
#9Chains of Love
#10Love To Hate You
#11Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)
#12Always
#13In My Arms
#14Victim of Love
#15The Circus
#16Breathe
#17You Surround Me
#18Oh L'Amour
#19Reason
#20Don't Say Your Love Is Killing Me
#21Here I Go Impossible Again
#22Elevation
#23It Doesn't Have To Be
#24Run To The Sun
#25Am I Right?
#26Rain
#27Rock Me Gently
#28Fill Us With Fire
#29I Could Fall In Love With You
#30I Love Saturday
#31Make It Wonderful
#32Take A Chance On Me
#33Storm In A Teacup
#34All This Time Still Falling Out Of Love
#35Solsbury Hill
#36When I Start To (Break It All Down)
#37Be With You
#38Sunday Girl
#39Who Needs Love Like That?
#40Don't Say You Love Me
#41Gaudete
#42Supernature
#43Star
#44Heavenly Action
#45Boy
#46Stay With Me
#47Freedom
#48Moon & the Sky
#49Sucker For Love
#50Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)

ALBUM AVERAGESexcluding EPs and singles

THE INNOCENTS8.78
CHORUS8.3
THE CIRCUS7.96
WILD!7.88
COWBOY7.63
I SAY I SAY I SAY7.6
THE VIOLET FLAME7.47
SNOWGLOBE7.45
ERASURE7.22
NIGHTBIRD7.2
WONDERLAND6.99
TOMORROW’S WORLD6.99
LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD6.66
UNION STREET6.03
OTHER PEOPLE’S SONGS5.73
LOVEBOAT5.72

Last edited:
Re: ERASURATE the singles

I'd add Take a Chance on Me and otherwise leave it as is! Those songs appeared on Pop2, so as far as I'm concerned they're fair game.

Looking at this list and already seeing so many 10s, oh my god.

You've done a great job. When I attempted putting together a singles rate I had exactly the same dilemma regarding what to leave in and what to take out. (I think I included Supernature, but didn't include the AA side singles). But I like the way you listed singles representing the album they were taken from, for some reason it looks less tracks than one long list and less daunting a task to rate.

I really hope post-Chorus songs see a little popjustice, they so deserve it.

Ooh, I'll be doing this. I'd include Supernature as well. It was released as a stand-alone single in France at the time and also got a double A-side release in the 90s in Belgium (I think) with the Cerrone original.

Ooh, I'll be doing this. I'd include Supernature as well. It was released as a stand-alone single in France at the time and also got a double A-side release in the 90s in Belgium (I think) with the Cerrone original.

I can't wait to get stuck into this.

Yes, Supernature 12" was widely available in the stores, got plenty of radio air play at the time and featured heavily in the Wild! Tour. Its a shame it's been neglected as it's a rather fine cover (with some great remixes).

Supernature duh! Yes I'll add it later today. It actually had some American impact...OK maybe only if you were already a huge fan aka me.

Plus I think that will bring us to an even...gulp...50 songs! I totally felt like breaking them up by album made things less scary, so glad yall agree.

Also, if anyone who has ever ran a rate before has any pointers on keeping track of scores or a Google docs template that they can let me copy please PM me! Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Hi Chanex.

I will certainly rate them! I love Erasure 1985 to 1992 - and I must listen closely to post 1992 to give them a proper thoughtful rating.
I also agree with the earlier posts about how you've arranged them under the album headings. It encourages me to do them in small chunks!
Will also try and come up with some "witty" and useful info. in my responses...

Good to have you back! Bearhugs!

The first few sets of votes have rolled in and I am truly scared for some stone-cold classics. We're talking 1s and 2s. But I am here to represent the will of the people and have to believe that justice will prevail!

Hi Chanex.

I will certainly rate them! I love Erasure 1985 to 1992 - and I must listen closely to post 1992 to give them a proper thoughtful rating.
I also agree with the earlier posts about how you've arranged them under the album headings. It encourages me to do them in small chunks!
Will also try and come up with some "witty" and useful info. in my responses...

So appreciated!

Last edited:

I genuinely do not like much of their earlier output so some of those 1's may be down to me for the first two albums - sorry!

Can I just vote on the stuff up to Chorus & Abba-esque?

I am familiar with (and own) all the subsequent albums other than the last 3 proper albums but I only ever listened to them in passing and as a whole album so couldn't have told you which tracks were singles (well maybe 2 or 3 tracks). Sad to say I don't feel the urge to listen to them again just to give them a 'meh/10' cursory vote.

So long as Blue Savannah doesn't place in the top 10 I'll be happy ...

For me, Erasure didn't release a single I disliked until 1991.

Totally agree, in fact there's nothing before Wild! I gave less than a 9 to!

No need to apologize if your scores are a true reflection of how you feel about the songs...but low and high scorers will be named (and potentially shamed) with the results hehe!

Can I just vote on the stuff up to Chorus & Abba-esque?

I am familiar with (and own) all the subsequent albums other than the last 3 proper albums but I only ever listened to them in passing and as a whole album so couldn't have told you which tracks were singles (well maybe 2 or 3 tracks). Sad to say I don't feel the urge to listen to them again just to give them a 'meh/10' cursory vote.

So long as Blue Savannah doesn't place in the top 10 I'll be happy ...

Of course there's no partial voting but pleeeese reconsider because this is a great chance to just check out the singles from the albums you missed. You have plenty of time. Let your voice be heard or don't complain about the results!

Last edited:

Why thank you. That's very kind of you. I'm usually about on here, just not getting a lot of time to post at the moment.

Are we allowed to speculate on possible winners here? One single, for me, is clearly, head and shoulders the best thing they've ever done and I'm not talking about the obvious one.

Edit: What happened the Depeche Mode rate that was mentioned a (long) while back?

Last edited:

Why thank you. That's very kind of you. I'm usually about on here, just not getting a lot of time to post at the moment.

Are we allowed to speculate on possible winners here? One single, for me, is clearly, head and shoulders the best thing they've ever done and I'm not talking about the obvious one.

Edit: What happened the Depeche Mode rate that was mentioned a (long) while back?

There's two songs for me that particularly stand out for me (and neither is THAT one).

And yes, a DM rate would be fantastic.

Andy recently suggested on facebook that he/ Erasure were considering going down the (more sophisticated) torch song route, with orchestral accompaniment. I begged him to reconsider.