Estelle - Various Features + General Discussion

Spiceboy1 said:
Her 1980 song in 2004 was AMAZING but apart from that, nothing...can't believe she has beat 4 Minutes, now that is a result!

I know right! She's doing amazing things! So proud of her. She deserves the success... Loved it when her first single came out then and was flabbergasted it didn't do as well as I thought it should have but now WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

'Go Gone' was so much better than this and everyone ignored it... That goes to show you what Kanye West can do for you. I bet Madonna will release 'Beat Goes On' after this...

And Brandy must be fuming for using him too early...

Anyway, 'Go Gone' was SO good!

'Afrodisiacs' failure was totally down to the lack of influence Atlantic had. They soon folded.

But yes Brandy was very 'before her time' in that album being produced by two of the world's biggest producers (Kanye and Timbaland) years before it became vogue to do so.

God, I loved 'Afrodisiac'. Still do.

ANYWAY back to Estelle. They are kinda pretening 'Wait A Minute' didn't happen now which is a shame because I love that song too.

princessloz said:
I love this tune, the beat is so damn catchy, and i usually love Kanye too, but i think his rap in this is awful.

Is there really any need for him to try and pretend hes english? Surely hes the american boy?

Kanye aside, its really cool

I don't know, I think Kanye's appropriated British accent is kind of cute here. Similar to Justin's MA-don-NA in "4 Minutes."And Kanye sounds a lot more relaxed/less paranoid here than I've heard him before.

I like the song a lot but since when did retailers start stocking one track promos for 99p?!

Local HMV are only stocking a 1 track radio edit in a card sleeve of this single at the bargain 99p price, if this is happening all over no wonder the single performed so well!

deceptacon said:
I like the song a lot but since when did retailers start stocking one track promos for 99p?!

Local HMV are only stocking a 1 track radio edit in a card sleeve of this single at the bargain 99p price, if this is happening all over no wonder the single performed so well!
The flaw in your logic is it got to number one on downloads alone. The one track isn't a promo. It's a new format which is just a one track single. Simple as!

Do people think this would have been as big without Kanye in it?

RhythmNative said:
'Afrodisiacs' failure was totally down to the lack of influence Atlantic had. They soon folded.

But yes Brandy was very 'before her time' in that album being produced by two of the world's biggest producers (Kanye and Timbaland) years before it became vogue to do so.

God, I loved 'Afrodisiac'. Still do.

Afrodisiac is one of the best albums I own. I Tried was amazing at the time. Someone should just re-record that CD and pass it off as new.

The formats for "American Boy" are:

CD: 1

1. American Boy-Feat. Kanye West [Radio Edit - Clean Version] 3:57

CD: 2

1. American Boy-Feat. Kanye West [Album Version - Explicit] 4:44
2. Life To Me-Hi-Tek Feat. Estelle
3. American Boy-Feat. Kanye West [video]

Thats the first time i've seen a single track format cd in a shop & i browse/buy singles almost every week, how long has that been introduced?

Im afraid i dont take any notice of download release dates, i just noticed the one track cd today & was curious.

I think with decent promotion this track would've gone top 3 without Kanye, he's the last thing that interests me in it personally..

Dazzle said:

Do people think this would have been as big without Kanye in it?

The way I see it, Kanye only serves to help push the song to a wider audience, a reintroduction to the masses, but it's really Estelle's song, she's all over it, and it's her that people are buying it for, very much different from say '4 Minutes' which is supposedly lead by Madonna but often seems more like she's Justin's guest.

Anyhow, I really love this song and I'm very glad she's back around.

So happy that this got to No 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She so deserves it.

Can't wait for the album!

I can't believe this passed my by completely. Estelle has always been one of my favourite most-underated artists.

Everyone seems to love her - 1980 is still regularly played on bastion of guitar tracks '6 Music'. Go Gone was amazing, as was Free. 'The 18th day' is actually strong all the way through....

Anyway, I am currently obsessed by American Boy. The segue into Kanye's rap in the middle is sublime....

So pleased it got to number 1.

T

Tangled_Up

Even though I have the non-rap version, it still annoys me, and does what all annoying songs inevitably do, get firmly wedged in your head.

*sigh*

S

someboy0716

Still think this is a great song, subtle yet very effective, kind of sums up Estelle herself really.