Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter

It's a curious position because I feel like she might resent getting significantly bigger than she is now as I'm sure that comes with additional expectations that could compromise her long term vision with the trilogy. Still excited for her growing success regardless! The B sides EP and side project are probably going to be even bigger than Preacher's Daughter.

I believe it's the second album she's referenced as being more psychedelic?

It's a curious position because I feel like she might resent getting significantly bigger than she is now as I'm sure that comes with additional expectations that could compromise her long term vision with the trilogy. Still excited for her growing success regardless! The B sides EP and side project are probably going to be even bigger than Preacher's Daughter.

I believe it's the second album she's referenced as being more psychedelic?
Yeah I think she has said something like she is already starting to feel a bit weird about the way her TikTok fanbase talk about her and have reduced her art down to a bit of a meme?

And yeah, second album is set in the 70s so think she said it is currently 70s psychedelic rock inspired right now which sounds like a dream.

he/him
I do remember her saying she wasn’t really down to become a full blown pop star, but I think she also might realize playing the game might be necessary in order to do what she wants to do with the trilogy. I can imagine it’ll be something she will wrestle with. Her profile being raised will only open doors, but it’ll also bring more negativity, like she’s currently seeing on tumblr.

he/him
I do remember her saying she wasn’t really down to become a full blown pop star, but I think she also might realize playing the game might be necessary in order to do what she wants to do with the trilogy. I can imagine it’ll be something she will wrestle with. Her profile being raised will only open doors, but it’ll also bring more negativity, like she’s currently seeing on tumblr.
I feel like she's said that's why she's been doing so much modeling and fashion work, as a way to basically fund her art. Pretty smart of her honestly! Still casting that prayer circle to shake off the meme fans though ddd

A friend played American Teenager recently to me & for some reason it didn't resonate on first listen (even though it's pretty instant). Some days later I am obsessed. Also, Sun Bleached Flies became an emotional crutch. It's such a magnificently haunting album, thematically & sonically. I hope she achieves the level of fame she's comfortable with. Very happy to have found her. I have somehow eluded the memes.

he/him
Can you elaborate on this please? I didn't realize she was getting backlash.

Oh yeah they’re dragging her over there. Basically she reblogged a photoset of stills from a film called American Honey that featured someone wearing a confederate flag bikini. So Ethel was dragged for that and also for reblogging another photoset that featured a confederate flag. She initially posted kind of doubling down on the choice, saying it was art and that she’s spoken out against the flag before and made her stance known that she doesn’t believe in it, and then later apologized for doubling down. You can find both posts here.

https://at.tumblr.com/mothercain/mothercain-hi-guys-ive-been-attempting-to-be-on/htx1ie22z4uw

But yeah it’s been messy. I don’t personally think she did anything wrong, but it’s nice to see her listening to criticism (even if I don’t think a lot of it is coming from a genuine place of the people criticizing her) and taking steps to apologize and correct herself.

^This is why I worry about her profile increasing significantly, I really appreciate her willingness to explain and be active in the conversation of criticism, and I cringe at the bad faith takes that will start piling up especially given the part of the US that is the focus of her world building. I can see her unplugging and pulling a 'I'll never explain again'.