Ethel Cain - Preacher's Daughter

E56z6d-VIAQZC9K.jpg

Happy anniversary to Preacher's Daughter; I cannot believe it's been two years. Still my album of the decade, and one of my all-time favorites.
It’s truly become one of my all-time favourite albums ever. It’s such a stunning and complex body of work, the journey you go through listening to it. But reading the caption on her instagram makes it sound like there’s a risk of her never releasing anything again ddd.

he/him
Bittersweet post from her. The album remains an almost overwhelming achievement. She’s so singular and especially in today’s short attention span, streaming dominated climate, Preacher’s Daughter bucks and spits at every trend. The way she romanticizes its creation and knowing what we do now about some of her parasocial “fans” and her reaction towards them makes that post read fairly melancholy. Creating such a masterpiece preceded the reaction and I hope she gets back to that mindset eventually.

Whew I got a little emotional reading her caption this morning. At times it feels like she’s always been in our lives, such is the case when an artist is as singular and defined as when she arrived. Her music and her vision have been nothing short of inspiring, and Preacher’s Daughter is an album anyone could hang their career on and be proud. Hard Times will probably be my most streamed song forever, 450 plays and counting.

Don’t lose the faith girls, if anything Hayden is resilient! I have faith whatever we do get next will fill meet the high expectations capably.

While she certainly is not the most prolific and open with information, I think the post might just be about that character literally being dead in the canon and saying goodbye to her as to start talking about the next character/project. Wasn’t the next part going to be about Ethel’s mother? At least that’s how I’m hoping and choosing to read it.

While she certainly is not the most prolific and open with information, I think the post might just be about that character literally being dead in the canon and saying goodbye to her as to start talking about the next character/project. Wasn’t the next part going to be about Ethel’s mother? At least that’s how I’m hoping and choosing to read it.

Oh this is a good interpretation, part 2 is indeed supposed to be the mother with part 3 as the grandmother. I’m sure living with a character so close to her for so long necessitates some sort of eulogy in that sense.

So maybe that means the Childish Behaviour tour is going to be the debut of Preacher’s Wife. I was thinking the other day about how the images used for tour promo don’t show her face, so maybe this is why.

he/him
I believe Preacher's Wife is going to be the second album in the trilogy - Childish Behaviour may be a reference to the EP which takes place before the events of Preacher's Daughter. I've seen "Willoughby Tucker, I'll Always Love You" floated around as the EP title for like a year and a half now but I have no idea where that even came from.