Eurovision 2016 | Page 71 | The Popjustice Forum

Eurovision 2016

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by Rhombus, Jul 9, 2015.

1. If the staging takes away all the attention of the song, it's a gimmick. The Russian song isn't anything special at all.

2. MB

MB

I'll drop Gaga a line and tell her to stop dressing like a turkey when she performs, and the rest of the pop world for that matter.

djessie likes this.
  3. You know damn well what I mean, ESC is full of gimmicks. It's known for it. But this year it's more about than ever. And for all I care you can ask Gaga to stop doing anything at all, I'll applaud it.

mynextrick, Zdarlight and MB like this.
  4. Thoroughly enjoying someone called Reinventor wanting things to go back to the old days.

Rooneyboy and ItTakesAMuscle like this.
  5. Actually, this year it seems a bit like a karaoke competition. Very few acts have dancers, props - even visible backup singers. Most of the scenes just involve the performer with different screen backdrops. I welcome a song like Russia that is actually very fun to watch (and I like the song as well).

biffy77 likes this.
  6. MB

MB

I could actually hug you for that comment. I'll send Gaga an email on our behalf pronto. And yes of course I get what you mean, I just like the Russia song.

biffy77, Reinventor and Rooneyboy like this.
  7. I just watched the Russian performance and if you squint really hard you can actually see the kitchen sink.

The song is pretty bad. I actually expect it to lose the jury vote and, due to the polarising nature of anything associated with Russia currently, limp in into second or third place based on televotes.

Vive la France! Or Austria!

UnionJackMix and He like this.
  8. MB

MB

I must have missed the washing up sequence. I can't believe I'm sticking up for Russia, but I just think it's a decent song and a decent pop performance - like I said you wouldn't get any current popstar (bar Adele zzzz) to just stand and perform a song without any staging. They won't win because of everything but I do like it.

Rooneyboy and biffy77 like this.
  9. The kitchen sink reference is an idiom. It references 'everything but the kitchen sink' which means including just about everything, whether appropriate or not.

I think it's great staging but not a great song. I honestly don't mind if Russia wins, it'll be funny watching them host Eurovision while swarms of middle aged gay bears descend on one of their cities. The moment someone gets gay bashed (and they most certainly will) it'll be an international scandal.

10. Spain, Bulgaria and Russia are my top 3.

11. HRH

HRH

The Lithuanian man is quite dishy, isn't he.
    How dare he have a wife and child.

Rooneyboy and 3words~ like this.
  12. Echoing everyone's love for Donny from Lithuania. Phwoar, what a difference 4 years makes!

P.S. I think this still remains one of my fave Eurovision performance of all time

P.P.S. Why does his name sound like he should be a 90s R&B star

13. marrecar

marrecar Guest

His vocals were and still are good. The performance is just awkward, both then and now. The only thing that's changed are his looks, which are way better. Apart from that awful hair.

14. I wasn't too keen on Russia's entry at first but it is destroying me today. How dare the production be so good??

I wouldn't mind the majority of Saturday's acts winning actually, but I'm routing for Ukraine.

MB likes this.
  15. I just want someone to get rid of Donny's perm.

16. MB

MB

Oh no I love donny's perm! And the way it doesn't move when he does the flip.

ItTakesAMuscle likes this.
  17. Stop comparing Russia to Gaga. Gaga is a great performer and writes and performs great songs! Russia is using the staging to distract the public from the fact that the generic-looking guy sings in a generic way a very basic song!

ItTakesAMuscle and HRH like this.
  18. I really don't think you can criticise the production on Russia, either on the song or the staging. Seeing it live in the semi-final I was in awe. I will give you lyrics (thunder and lightning its getting exciting, is just too basic, even for Eurovision) and the fact the singer isn't 'all that hot'.

MB likes this.
  19. I find it bizarre that anyone could find that guy from Russia better looking than the guy from Hungary or even Nicky but looks didn't help him

UnionJackMix likes this.
  20. Bless us all!

THIS SONG IS SLAYING ME SO HARD NOW. I WILL BE BLESSED TOMORROW NIGHT.

will82, ItTakesAMuscle and lob0to like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.