Eurovision 2024

I thought the final had a nice pace. The last years the show seemed to go on and on and I just wanted to go to bed.
Also 15 minutes shorter than last year. One song less, of course that might have helped. Or maybe they just wanted it over and done with.

Attitudes to it all are so weird - someone I know threw his support behind Israel simply because a viewing party he wasn’t even attending was cancelled due to security concerns. He literally said people voting for Israel was to: “Teach those cunts a lesson.”
Normally I don't check twitter. But now I did. And the reactions were more or less the same. They just use their vote for Israel as a protest, as a f*** you basically.

Am I reading this correctly? The public televote in Australia, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the rest of the world all gave Israel 12 points!!!??

I mean even if this was any other year or if the situation were different, or if that song was performed by any other country, it still wasn’t a winner. I refuse to believe that many people support what Israel are doing OR genuinely love that middling, average song.
I think a lot of the general public are also a bit thick, and think “oh I feel bad for all that’s going on over in Israel, let’s vote for them” without actually understanding what is actually happening.
Who sees that and thinks 'oh if an ad tells me I guess I'll go vote for it' though?
At the end of the day the greater part of the general public is a lot less knowledgeable about overseas issues than most of us are here in this forum (or even the average Twitter user, for better or worse). I don't think it works as directly as "I saw an ad to vote for them so I'll obey", but it's important to recognize that when a nation is at war (and its coverage is almost impossible to run away from) and puts propaganda in people's faces, it will incite some sort of sentiment. It's a bit sad to think this way, but these many countries giving Israel 12 points isn't too far detached from Ukraine's homerun victory in 2022. In the minds of many, those two countries are equally victims of the wars they're involved in, and this is a narrative that gets passed on in far-right milieus so often and so effectively that depending on where you are, even the most liberal (or even "apolitical") person may regurgitate it.

Last edited:
It’s also worth noting that Israel’s current politics have done a very good job at convincing people at large that being anti-Israel’s actions is inherently anti-Semitic and a lot of people who don’t know better will do what they think is anti-anti-Semitic.

The attitude seems to be that if you’re critical of Israel, you’re anti-Semitic and if you’re critical of Hamas, you’re Islamophobic. When the reality is that for the vast majority of people, they’re just anti-violence and anti-war.

Am I reading this correctly? The public televote in Australia, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the rest of the world all gave Israel 12 points!!!??

I mean even if this was any other year or if the situation were different, or if that song was performed by any other country, it still wasn’t a winner. I refuse to believe that many people support what Israel are doing OR genuinely love that middling, average song.
I’m not surprised at how much public support they got, but what seems very fishy to me is that the Irish public gave them 10 points. The one country in Europe that’s been somewhat vocal and who can on some level understand the situation. Even if it was a kind of sympathy vote, that’s a lot of misplaced sympathy. The one thing that has been said across the board is how much this whole situation speaks to what it means to be Irish, so I find it bizarre and suspicious that Irish people have voted in this way.

I’m not surprised at how much public support they got, but what seems very fishy to me is that the Irish public gave them 10 points. The one country in Europe that’s been somewhat vocal and who can on some level understand the situation. Even if it was a kind of sympathy vote, that’s a lot of misplaced sympathy. The one thing that has been said across the board is how much this whole situation speaks to what it means to be Irish, so I find it bizarre and suspicious that Irish people have voted in this way.

Or simply not many people vote in Eurovision to a great extent so a motivated group giving all their 20 votes to one nation makes it easy to slew the result.

To be honest I am pretty relieved that Ukraine received a similar number of public votes as Israel. Although Ukraine actually had a great song worthy of winning, it was obvious they received most of their votes for political reasons. But I am glad that it wasn't just Israel who received such a large amount of political votes, as I was pretty scared that would happen. It would have felt unfair to Ukraine, who are way more of a victim in war. The fact that support for Israel didn't overshadow support for Ukraine is reassuring, so thanks to the good souls of Europe.

Reactions: Rmx