Eurovision 2024

This train of thought that genocide is a "political issue", as if there are different sides you can take on genocide.
Well, as mentioned, the issue here is that not everyone agrees really on many issues in this conflict and not everyone (including experts) agrees that it is a genocide and it's not like EBU can judge on it themselves and be like "well, we in EBU personally think it's a genocide so your broadcaster is out of EBU". Would you say that Azerbeijan should be judged by EBU and thrown out of ESC because of their actions in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict since it's a similar scale of the war and been labaled as a genocide by many? Or how abour Serbia-Kosovo. I mean, like how far should EBU go in that? it feels like it was unavoidable with Russia but what I mean is that if they continue this path, then we'll be running into just more and more problems and politics coming into the contest.

So is the EBU not acknowledging that KAN is changing the lyrics of their song? I have no idea what is going on over there. I guess we won't know until the deadline.

Well, as mentioned, the issue here is that not everyone agrees really on many issues in this conflict and not everyone (including experts) agrees that it is a genocide and it's not like EBU can judge on it themselves and be like "well, we in EBU personally think it's a genocide so your broadcaster is out of EBU". Would you say that Azerbeijan should be judged by EBU and thrown out of ESC because of their actions in Nagorno-Karabakh conflict since it's a similar scale of the war and been labaled as a genocide by many? Or how abour Serbia-Kosovo. I mean, like how far should EBU go in that? it feels like it was unavoidable with Russia but what I mean is that if they continue this path, then we'll be running into just more and more problems and politics coming into the contest.
Sorry but which experts?????

Sorry but which experts?????
Since you're asking, here's an example of some articles that talks about it. But to be clear, my point here is not to defend Israel in any way, don't get me wrong. I strongly condemn what they're doing. Just trying to make it clear that we're in a bubble and there aren't clear answers, it's all just not black and white and in my opinion it's not EBU role to be the expert on this

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/genocide-gaza-debate-1.7042809
https://time.com/6334409/is-whats-happening-gaza-genocide-experts/
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/e...sations-israel-is-committing-genocide-in-gaza

Yes! And what’s happening in Gaza is not of a “similar scale”.

What I thought here is that at the moment there is a similiar amount of victims of the war but you're probably right though since the timeline is indeed very different

Rmx

He/Him/His
... Didn't the ICC basically rule it genocidal. Or was it "just" warcrimes now, maybe genocide at a later ruling?

Last edited:
she/her
... Didn't the ICC basically rule it genocidal. Or was it "just" warcrimes now, maybe genocide at a later ruling?
They didn’t rule definitively that it’s genocide; but that there was enough of a case that they will properly consider it, I believe. Their final verdict isn’t expected for a while.

However, Israeli politicians have said in their own words that they want to forcibly displace and ethnically cleanse Palestine so really there’s no need to have a ‘debate’ about it. Add those statements to the fact that they’re dropping dumb bombs on Gaza with no regard for civilians and it all becomes clear what their goal is.