Eurovision Song Contest 2011 | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Eurovision Song Contest 2011

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by Jamie, May 31, 2010.

1. Charley

Charley Staff Member

Do you think Germany might get Tokio Hotel to do Eurovision next year?

Their second album flopped hard enough for them to want to do it, but I suppose they're still a big enough name to be a 'spectacular' follow-up to Lena.

Edit: Thinking about it, they'll probably just do 'Unser Star Für...' again, won't they? I mean with Lena winning the ratings should be huge.

2. duckface

duckface Guest

I will boycott ESC if Tokio Hotel go anywhere near it. I can't stand them. What is it with the crap-imitation-music-for-pre-teens phenomenon these days???

3. Well, Manga came in 2nd this year, so "Tokio Hotel" should actually do even better.

4. duckface

duckface Guest

Manga was good, though.
    The Tokio Hotel singer can't even, er, sing.

5. Jeward are already saying how they want to represent Ireland next year. Oh lord. I'd rather we didn't go at all than send them.

6. duckface

duckface Guest

That reminds me of that turkey you sent last time.

Lost. In. Translation.

7. Honestly, that one didn't make a lot of sense to us either. I think it was just a case of Dustin being so popular here (no, really) that he walked it on novelty alone. Which is why I fear the Jedward.

8. I think what we have failed to notice because of the UK's absymal showing is that some very good songs did very badly.

It is so hard to predict how each country will react to a song. We took an eighties feel because it is trendy here - and the fact we picked the worst part of the eighties to emulate (http://wp.me/pPrUU-aU) is beside the point - but will not impact in the Balkans and Caucasus' until 2014. Europe is very diverse area and fashion styles individual and unpredictable.

Worth persisting with?....of course as it sort of unites Europe http://wp.me/pPrUU-ab

Think the idea of getting a fallen star good idea and yes humiliating for them than celebrity big brother or I'm a desperate unemployed celebrity get me out of here.

9. The Icelandic team have already announced that all the songs that enter their national final have to perform in Icelandic.

http://www.esctoday.com/news/read/15908

Hmm, I understand they want to have some sort of national identity in the contest but I think they're putting themselves at a bit of a disadvantage as it's hardly a common language through Europe. Although, Urban Symphony did massively well singing in Estonian...

10. duckface

duckface Guest

But Estonian sounds melodic, and Urban Symphony made it sound like a smoother version of all the southeast European languages.
    Icelandic is.... an interesting language. But I think they should stick with the sugary sweet English language entries of the last 3 years.

11. Charley

Charley Staff Member

The very first rumoured artist is in!

The Netherlands would be hoping to send Thomas Berge, who already sang during his performance at the Eurovision Dance Contest!

13. I thought she was joking!

Interesting. She in all likelihood won't win twice in a row. But having won once she'll probably be able to afford a top songwriting team.

14. duckface

duckface Guest

Worst Idea Ever.

If I won Eurovision, the last thing I'd do would be to ruin it by setting myself up for failure. She won't win again. The only time I was okay with a winner defending 'their' title was when it was rumoured that Elena would be using Mambo for 2006.

But it's her life, etc.

15. Totally agree. With Elena (not Helena? I never know) Mambo! was 100% in the same league as My Number One, if not better, and surely could have done the double. I really can't see Lena coming up with something different enough to keep people interested but still in her style - and good enough to win again.

Which makes me wonder if the Germans know this - not many countries actually want to host the contest right now do they?

16. duckface

duckface Guest

In Greek it's Elena, 'internationally' for some reason they made it 'Helena'. Really silly. You would never pronounce the 'H' in Greek. That letter doesn't exist as a 'heh' sound.

I think Germany's just so excited to have won it (I for one was extremely doubtful a Big Four country would ever win again) and are blinded by joy and adoration for their latest national hero.

As for them not wanting to host again, all I can say is that if even Germany can't afford to, we're all fucked!

17. This is the part I don't understand about this plan. I feel like no good can come of it.

If she loses - she brings shame and disappointment to the people of Germany for not being able to defend her title (or something).

If she wins - what is it, the Lena Song Contest from this point forward?

Most people can't shake the Eurovision tag after not even placing in the final, let alone performing twice in it!

18. Charley

Charley Staff Member

Well I don't think anyone will realistically expect her to win it again, just get at least top 10, maybe top 5.

And she's not getting rid of that Eurovision tag ever again having won it, so she may just as well make the most of it.

Though I agree it's going to be hard for her to find a proper follow-up.

19. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

It almost feels a bit like they think she's going to be some Europe-wide superstar by then, and have enough fans to vote for her that she'll be a shoe-in. Like it's part of a long-term marketing strategy.

20. I'm going to stage invade her and tackle her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.