Eurovision Song Contest 2012

Oh my, amazing! This coincides with my re-living of the contest songs this week, great. I hope that something Georgia entered last year pops up this year. There were so many pleasant surprises last year. Poor Switzerland.

Just listened to the finalists from 2012's songs, what on Earth are Germany and France thinking? Loreen will stand out so much amongst all these ballads. Italy and Azerbaijan's are alright though.

Charley

Staff member
Some remarks on the running order

Semi 1: Excellent draw for Jedward closing the show. Also, I've only just now noticed that Greece, Romania and Cyprus are in the same semi-final. Casualties seem inevitable.

Semi 2: Prime spot for Tooji (16/18). Poor Loreen is stuck in the middle somewhere and isn't her 11th place right after the commercial as well?

jruk2007 said:
San Marino have to change their entry. Turns out you can't advertise a brand in your song.

I haven't been this disappointed since Jamala was robbed of victory in the Ukrainian NF last year.

Poor San Marino, but I thought that might be the case.

Loreen could perform two weeks before the rest of the acts in her semi and still qualify. As it is, it could have been much better but being just after one of the most boring songs and just before one of the worst songs surely isn't going to harm her chances.

Poor Netherlands, finally they have a chance of qualifying then they get a terrible draw (3rd).

Teach In won from first back in the 70's but that's all I can remember right now without doing intensive research.

Safura got 5th in 2010 going first too!

stevo_1988 said:
Teach In won from first back in the 70's but that's all I can remember right now without doing intensive research.

Safura got 5th in 2010 going first too!

And here we go again, why is it always about clutching at straws with the bloody UK!
I'm still expecting us to do ok, but a win or even top 3 must be out of the question now. Gutted!

I remember Safura being favourite (it was a far better song than their winner last year) and feeling it hugely underperformed. Did it really come 5th? That's better than I remember.

I also don't remember Italy coming second last year.

Were they both a case of steadily picking up points and creeping to the top?

phoenix123 said:
I remember Safura being favourite (it was a far better song than their winner last year) and feeling it hugely underperformed. Did it really come 5th? That's better than I remember.

I also don't remember Italy coming second last year.

Were they both a case of steadily picking up points and creeping to the top?

Yeah I think so, Italy certainly.

Looking back at last years vote breakdown - juries put Italy 1st, televote put them 11th, yet combined they ended up 2nd. Still hope for a decent UK result for sure!

popknark

Someone on Facebook posted this... Thought I'd share it here! It shows how "Euphoria" is doing on iTunes around Europe already.

Sweden - #1
Finland - #4 (peak: #1)
Norway - #9 (peak: #2)
Greece - #17 (peak: #10)
Cyprus - #36
Spain - #86
Denmark - #132 (peak: #36)
Latvia - #133
Netherlands - #168
Belgium - #173

phoenix123 said:
UK is going to sing FIRST?

Has anyone ever done well from first position?

Oh dear....

1976 was apparently the last time the UK had to sing first. That was with Save All Your Kisses For Me, though, so a whole different kettle of fish!

he/him
cjwhite1 said:
Looking back at last years vote breakdown - juries put Italy 1st, televote put them 11th, yet combined they ended up 2nd. Still hope for a decent UK result for sure!

That's because Italy absoutely ran away with the jury. Personally I've always felt that the jury voted for them in such numbers to keep Italy sweet for this year. It was a rather awful song.

Apart from Sweden and at a push Norway, Cyprus and Greece I've yet to hear anything exciting this year. Is there any other up-tempo stormers in the contest this year?

D

duckface

The only 'good' ones I've heard so far are Romania, Sweden, Cyprus, Norway, Slovenia, Greece, Montenegro. In that order.

Belgium and Estonia are disappointing. I've not seen anything too embarrassing yet though. Any tips? I like a good cringe.