Eurovision Song Contest 2012

StratusJM said:
cjwhite1 said:
Looking back at last years vote breakdown - juries put Italy 1st, televote put them 11th, yet combined they ended up 2nd. Still hope for a decent UK result for sure!

That's because Italy absoutely ran away with the jury. Personally I've always felt that the jury voted for them in such numbers to keep Italy sweet for this year. It was a rather awful song.

I can't imagine there was any collective jury thinking about "keeping Italy sweet". I think the reason they went for it in such a big way was because the juries include professional working musicians who would respond more favourably to that kind of song because it's an offshoot of jazz, and even though they were miming the instruments, it nonetheless placed the emphasis on musical composition in a way that, say, Getter Jaani wouldn't.

I find it odd that "Facebook" is out, but the reference to Google survives (also the cyber sex, but I guess that's a whole different kettle of fish).

"Euphoria" has finally clicked. I had liked it before, but since this morning I've been obsessed with it and it is now my favourite song in the whole competition. Unfortunately for Loreen, this means that she is not going to win.

THE LOREEN SONG IS CERTIFIABLY AMAZING.

The Molly Sanden song was also brilliant, and I'm disappointed they can't both compete.

D

duckface

I have a feeling Jedward could win this year. People like them and the song is actually decent.
God help us.

duckface said:
I have a feeling Jedward could win this year. People like them and the song is actually decent.
God help us.

I think they'll qualify easily for the final - it sounds amazing at the end of that first semi-final draw. However I'd be hugely surprised if they won it. The song seems far less "instant" than Lipstick. I actually think it's a better song, but it doesn't repeat itself into your brain anywhere near as successfully. I'd predict it to achieve a fairly similar result in the final - low top ten.

Some bookmakers even have us ahead of Italy so behind only the clear favourites and this year's novelty act.

Then we wonder why the GBP is disappointed when we finish 15th. Ridiculously high expectations.

he/him
jruk2007 said:
Then we wonder why the GBP is disappointed when we finish 15th. Ridiculously high expectations.

Yes. You see the same thing time and time again whenever the UK/England competes in anything.

Dima and Julia? I would be down for that if she had her original face.

I still adore Ne ver Ne Boysia.

I loved the Dima/Julia song so much that I didn\'t even get annoyed by Dima\'s live vocals. So much that even though the Grannies are adorable and amazing, I do still feel a little annoyed that they are going to Baku instead.

Last edited: