Eurovision Song Contest 2020 / Europe Shine a Light | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Eurovision Song Contest 2020 / Europe Shine a Light

Discussion in 'Eurovision' started by TheChoirgirlHotel, May 19, 2019.

1. Soooo 2020 is in The Netherlands. My brother lives there.

Should I take this as a sign?

Kadebostany and WowWowWowWow like this.
  2. We need to enter this

3. Water rat indeed

4. I'd ask if anyone checked on JOWST to see how he's taking the news, but,

5. Dvd is out today. Is Madonna on it?

6. No, she was edited out for copyright reasons apparently

[​IMG]

Serg., phily693, xondus and 15 others like this.
  7. had to
    [​IMG]

8. Yes... Copyright... Sure.

9. OK

londonrain likes this.
  10. Oh shit, not gaelic.

ItTakesAMuscle likes this.
  11. With the most unsurprising news in the world, Amsterdam's withdrawn their bid. It's now down to Arnhem, 's-Hertogenbosch, Maastricht, Rotterdam, and Utrecht.

12. Shame. Amsterdam's nice.

Sprockrooster and WowWowWowWow like this.
  13. Maastricht and Rotterdam were the frontrunners from the start with the latter most likely taking it, so I am not surprised cities dropping out fast now (like The Hague, Breda and Leeuwarden did previously). I honestly will be very surprised if Den Bosch or Utrecht take it. Arnhem has despite a great venue big traffic accessibility issues so I feel like it has no chance either.

WowWowWowWow likes this.
  14. If she’d be up for it, I feel like the UK should send Laurell Barker in 2020 and be done with it.
    1) somebody in the BBC must like what she’s doing if she has been involved in multiple national final songs over the last two years
    2) let alone all the Eurovision songs and national final songs she co-wrote
    3) she seems to have a perfectly serviceable voice (in the live performances I’ve seen on YouTube anyway)
    4) if Sia and Ina Wroldsen among others can turn songwriting into pop stardom why can’t she?
    5) what else do you have to lose?

Sprockrooster and Empty Shoebox like this.
  15. The UK is for me as a non-UKer a bit generic and flat in especially their last three entries (Lucie Jones, SuRie and Michael Rice). There is always a similar song like theirs in the contest that is better. A song needs something special to stand out in the crowd and aside from great performance setpieces they often lack on musical quality. And perhaps they have high expectations which is unfair, but with such a string of poor songs that is starting to fade away with the big crowd.

Michael Rice was basically everything done wrong. The fact you have a leftover track from a participating artist that year is baffling. Then they are going for a schtick that says he was always bullied because of being overweight, when number one from the bookies Duncan Lawrence was doing the exact same thing. You simply fade to the background. And then he has a belter song which he can't even sell vocally. Nothing could save that anymore.

The UK really needs an established artist that still has (national) hits to stand up and get carte blanche in everything (kind of what they did did with Blue, though I Can was a poor song by their standards too it was a refreshing entry from the UK). It is sad they didn't pull through in big names (composition wise) with Jade Ewen and Andrew Lloyd Webbers It's My Time, because with a few years of that it would be inevatible to win cause of goodwill (like the victory from Azerbeidzjan and perhaps now Netherlands). In short: no more artists that feel like they are performing a song at XFactor that is not even their winning song.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  16. I want it to be Rotterdam or Utrecht.

17. Well Utrecht said they could hold it in a tent, they won't arrange any busses, people can take public transport or a bike they added, and couldn't bother to show up today to hand in their bid book but sent a bike courier instead, so it's safe to say Utrecht is out.

Sprockrooster and Empty Shoebox like this.
  18. Sprockrooster likes this.
  19. Actually it is expected that Maastricht will have the deepest pockets. Rotterdam is kinda struggling to come up with the required amount, especially since Den Haag declared they're not financially backing Rotterdam's bid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.