Eurythmics & Annie Lennox

Strawberry said:
What does the interview actually say?

Sing was released on 1 December 2007 through iTunes by SonyBMG. Annie was then dropped in the middle of January 2008. She's still doing a lot of work for the single to raise awareness for the Sing charity, and I'm guessing her frustrations are something to do with the complications arising from no longer being under SonyBMG but still promoting a single owned by them.

Eh? You've got some serious wires crossed there. Sing has just been released and Annie is still signed to Sony BMG. She has fulfilled her contract, but Sony BMG have gone on record saying they want to continue working with her.

moorje said:
Maybe she actually listened to Sing again and can't believe SonyBMG allowed her to have it on the album?
at least she must love that amazing video for it, its just super hot.

I am so confused. After the "they didn't pick up my calls" announcement Sony BMG did say they wanted to work with her still, but I think Annie has left them instead of being dropped at this point? I'm completely unclear.

D

deusexmachina

Lucky guy said:
Strawberry said:

Sing was released on 1 December 2007 through iTunes by SonyBMG. Annie was then dropped in the middle of January 2008. She's still doing a lot of work for the single to raise awareness for the Sing charity, and I'm guessing her frustrations are something to do with the complications arising from no longer being under SonyBMG but still promoting a single owned by them.

Eh? You've got some serious wires crossed there. Sing has just been released and Annie is still signed to Sony BMG. She has fulfilled her contract, but Sony BMG have gone on record saying they want to continue working with her.

Sing has been on iTunes since December 1st. There was a big hoo-ha on the news about how she'd been dropped and everything, were they just chatting shit?

Actual quote from the interview, make of it what you will:

The only obstacle was the initial reluctance of Lennox’s record company, Sony BMG, to support her. Her original plan was to release Sing as a download to coincide with her performance of the song at the World Aids Day concert in Johannesburg last December. “When I got there, I discovered the record company hadn’t done anything at all to promote it, which was ...†she pauses, choosing her words with diplomatic care, “...disheartening for me.â€

Back in London, she read the boss of Sony/BMG the riot act. He promised to make amends. “It’s all turned around now. They’ve got right behind it.†It was actually the company’s idea, she explains, to make the rereleased “hard copy†of the single - on CD this time - available in the UK exclusively through Body Shop outlets.

rachel-mary said:
Actual quote from the interview, make of it what you will:

The only obstacle was the initial reluctance of Lennox’s record company, Sony BMG, to support her. Her original plan was to release Sing as a download to coincide with her performance of the song at the World Aids Day concert in Johannesburg last December. “When I got there, I discovered the record company hadn’t done anything at all to promote it, which was ...†she pauses, choosing her words with diplomatic care, “...disheartening for me.â€

Back in London, she read the boss of Sony/BMG the riot act. He promised to make amends. “It’s all turned around now. They’ve got right behind it.†It was actually the company’s idea, she explains, to make the rereleased “hard copy†of the single - on CD this time - available in the UK exclusively through Body Shop outlets.

I hate Sing. What a fucking tedious moraliser Annie has become.

Also, why the body shop? I can't go in there, it makes me sneeze.

There were a couple of really good articles in the sunday times this week, especially the annie and britney ones.

I wish she would go back to her electro roots, was listening to Sweet Dreams and Touch yesterday, stills sound amazing especially Love Is A Stranger on full blast on the headphones.

M

moorje

I watched Striptease last night. It was absolutley awful of course, but every single song that Demi strips to is by Annie Lennox! It was absolutely hilarious, but made me reach for my copy of Diva afterwards.
I forgot how good this album is, definitely her best as it's not cluttered with covers or angsty menopausal whingeing. It's nice to see she was relevent as a solo singer.

V

vasilios

Is it wrong that Eurythmics and solo work combined my fave album is Medusa? I know...

F

Former member 330

Who cares if Annie Lennox is signed, unsigned, 64% signed, etc. etc. She wont release a new album for about 7 years anyway so let's all just worry about it when she's got something to put out. She is actually consistantly shit as a solo artist. 'Divia' was 1992... everything else since has stank. I don't know who buys her stuff anyway... well, I do actually, but it's all been a major disappointment. The Eurythmics box set was amazing, solo stuff rubbish.

vasilios said:
Is it wrong that Eurythmics and solo work combined my fave album is Medusa? I know...

Savage. It's practically a solo album except it's better than her solo albums. I love it.

V

vasilios

When my brother was stadying abroad in 1987 I asked for Savage on tape as Beethoven seemed nice and he got me Bananarama's Wow! instead. Didn't complain at all.

I still want to buy the reissue of Savage, but always find all the others, even Peace, never that.

F

Former member 330

Kirkland said:
vasilios said:

Savage. It's practically a solo album except it's better than her solo albums. I love it.

In what way is it like a solo album? It's more like an album by a trio - Dave/Annie/Sophie Muller... it's a very visual release, the songs almost written for the visuals... but the credits are the usual Eurythmics split - 50% Annie, 50% Dave. I think maybe this is one album where they switched roles more then before (Annie did more music, Dave did more lyrics). I guess Dave was not very present in the videos, though... he's only in 'Shame', isn't he?

anfunny2003 said:
Kirkland said:
vasilios said:

In what way is it like a solo album? It's more like an album by a trio - Dave/Annie/Sophie Muller... it's a very visual release, the songs almost written for the visuals... but the credits are the usual Eurythmics split - 50% Annie, 50% Dave. I think maybe this is one album where they switched roles more then before (Annie did more music, Dave did more lyrics). I guess Dave was not very present in the videos, though... he's only in 'Shame', isn't he?

Yes but due to what was happening in Annie's personal life at the time the album feels more like it's a solo album. Do You Want To Break Up? I Need A Man. I Need You and Shame...most of the songs on Savage are unique in the Eurythmics canon if you ask me.

Strawberry said:
Lucky guy said:
Strawberry said:

Sing has been on iTunes since December 1st. There was a big hoo-ha on the news about how she'd been dropped and everything, were they just chatting shit?

Yeh they were. The situation is explained lower down by another poster. The paper quoted Annie out of context and the head of Sony BMG UK rang her up mortified that she was under the impression she'd been dropped (though she infact wasn't). No company in it's right mind drops an artist who can get to number 6 in the US album charts with no promotion, whether or not they've passed their commercial peak. Annie is a license to print money, and will be until she dies.

F

Former member 330

Kirkland said:
anfunny2003 said:
Kirkland said:
vasilios said:

Yes but due to what was happening in Annie's personal life at the time the album feels more like it's a solo album. Do You Want To Break Up? I Need A Man. I Need You and Shame...most of the songs on Savage are unique in the Eurythmics canon if you ask me.

I checked the credits and you may well be right. It's 'Revenge' where they swap roles. 'Savage' is lyrically all Lennox!

anfunny2003 said:
Kirkland said:
anfunny2003 said:
Kirkland said:
vasilios said:

I checked the credits and you may well be right. It's 'Revenge' where they swap roles. 'Savage' is lyrically all Lennox!

I thought as much. I do remember reading in the special edition notes that they worked away from each other so Annie's lyrics became a bit more personal.