Evanescence - The Bitter Truth (5th Album) | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Evanescence - The Bitter Truth (5th Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Robert, Apr 17, 2020.

1. She joined just before the whole orchestral stuff/era. The straights/fans of "real music" were extremely pissed about it so I support her.

2. Anything that riles the hets is fine by me.

I mostly checked out after the self-titled album, tbh. But I'm mildly perched to see what this is like.

3. 17 years! Times flies. It did so well being #1 for 4 weeks in the U.K. being a female fronted rock/pop song. Then followed up by one of the greatest debut albums.

4. [​IMG]

I'm a bad fan of bands in general because... the lead vocalist is usually the only person I actually care about.

5. I know we like to joke about their line up changes, but the amount of fans still posting "I miss Ben Moody and the other guys :(" (which says it all dd) on every facebook or twitter post makes me scream. It's been almost two decades-ish.

Conan, DoggySwami, Kuhleezi and 3 others like this.
  6. It's actually fine? With the tantrums their fans have been throwing for so long, you'd think many more members would have been part of Evanescence at some point. The truth is, it's not that uncommon. Coming from a rock / metal background, I'm actually way more used to endless line-up changes.

See these ones for example:

It's only seen as a big deal once the band is female fronted and that's the tea. Wonder why.

7. Ben Moody regrouping with the other ex-members as "We Are The Fallen" was such an embarrassing moment of male fragility tho. Seeing them flop was almost rewarding.

8. I still have not given the album a listen as the singles were dated messes.

GodsAndMonsters and Verandi like this.
  9. Also these arent just drafted in replacements, they've been working and touring together for some time now.

10. It actually wasnt that bad if you managed to get over how much they wanted it to be Fallen. Her voice still makes me laugh though, you can almost hear where they've asked her to put on her best Amy Lee voice.

Sprockrooster and Crisp X like this.
  11. I really liked the third album. The Open Door is my favourite though. I hope the album cover isn't indicative of the albums sound. It's a bit basic.

12. The Open Door is a masterpiece teebs.

Robert and sugarcoma like this.
  13. Wasted On You is out there and I don't know how I feel about it yet. The chord progressions / melodies sound right out of Radiohead's Creep, which quickly takes me out of it. I'm a bit surprised by the 90's power ballad feel, which is kind of an odd choice for a comeback single.

That said, I like the electronics which seem both like a continuation of Synthesis, and a throwback to The Open Door. Once the guitars are back, it immediately sounds more conventional. Oh and Amy sounds great, but that's a given.

DoggySwami, Robert and Gemini like this.
  14. I would not call Wasted On You a masterpiece (yet) but it is pretty incredible.

Robert likes this.
  15. Holy shit, this fully screams The Open Door at every opportunity.

16. Oh wow! Way better than I expected, definitely feels like The Open Door. Love a fake-out solo piano moment.

MarkAnthony likes this.
  17. This is great, definitely not what I was expecting but in a good way!

18. This whelmed me. I think it'll grow on me though. I've been craving some cute female fronted rock band goodness, especially after In This Moment's latest album was not as good as I wanted it to be.

Crisp X likes this.
  19. Meh. I really don’t get the comparison with The Open Door. That album was a bloody masterpiece. It had some of Amy’s best lyrics and melodies and the production was top notch! I think Open Door has a certain mood that was ingrained into every song and that makes the album even better than it already is.

The new single is closer to their self-titled album, which I think is a sub-par album.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.