Exercise

LTG

he/him
Have signed up for a half marathon in March. Ran that distance alone on my own accord a couple years ago and want to improve on that time quite a bit. I’m running three times a week and it’s hard just finding the time.

I said a while back that I've moved and had to shift to another gym. Initially the new gym was great, nice people, working equipment and nice overall vibe. But in the past month I've had some nasty encounters with some of the other people who go there. I normally go first thing in the morning and most mornings I am up against massive juice head dudes who are a) very hostile b) very agressive and c) very possesive over equipment. It doesn't make me enjoy going to this gym tbh.

I think I might transfer back to my old gym. It's about 45 mins away and I'll need to get the tube, but I would rather travel a distance to a gym where I feel comfortable and can make gainful progress than endure a gym down the road that leaves me feeling very uncomfortable.

he/him
Planet Fitness of course advertises "No Gymtimidation" and a lot of people might think "rrright" but in my experience at my local Planet Fitness the past 4 years or so, I have never noticed anything remotely like what is being described in the above posts. It's a very 'everyone is here to do their own thing and not bother anyone else' environment. I have noticed a banned log laying on the counter at the front desk that does tell me if someone is out of line, they're gone immediately. So they do a good job filtering out the bad eggs. There's always 3-4 staff members whenever I go who keep a good eye on things.

If you're in an area where they have one, you may consider it.

Planet Fitness of course advertises "No Gymtimidation" and a lot of people might think "rrright" but in my experience at my local Planet Fitness the past 4 years or so, I have never noticed anything remotely like what is being described in the above posts. It's a very 'everyone is here to do their own thing and not bother anyone else' environment. I have noticed a banned log laying on the counter at the front desk that does tell me if someone is out of line, they're gone immediately. So they do a good job filtering out the bad eggs. There's always 3-4 staff members whenever I go who keep a good eye on things.

If you're in an area where they have one, you may consider it.
Nah I quite like that, it is at least being enforced in a light touch kind of way. The issue I'm having is that my gym is 24 hours and I go first thing in the morning when it is unstaffed, staff are on site from 7am - 9pm, but I am there from 5am - 6am most weekday mornings. So when I am there it's just the cleaning team and gym goers. I think this is why so much bad behviour is allowed to happen, no one is there to nip it in the bud. I've gone to the gym in the evenings when staff are there and the vibe is fine and everyone is minding their own business. But I don't want to have to change my own routine and pattern because of the shitty behaviour of thers. Sadly, there isn't a Planet Fitness near me but would be ideal if there was!

he/him
Nah I quite like that, it is at least being enforced in a light touch kind of way. The issue I'm having is that my gym is 24 hours and I go first thing in the morning when it is unstaffed, staff are on site from 7am - 9pm, but I am there from 5am - 6am most weekday mornings. So when I am there it's just the cleaning team and gym goers. I think this is why so much bad behviour is allowed to happen, no one is there to nip it in the bud. I've gone to the gym in the evenings when staff are there and the vibe is fine and everyone is minding their own business. But I don't want to have to change my own routine and pattern because of the shitty behaviour of thers. Sadly, there isn't a Planet Fitness near me but would be ideal if there was!

I hear you, 5am, get it done right off is the best. Fortunately, the Planet Fitness here is 5am open on all weekdays with at least two staff members who open. Weekends open at 7am.

99% of the reason why I don't want to go to the gym anymore (I'm still paying for it though ahshsgs) is because of the arrogant straight men that take over the space. I just go for walks now. I almost wish that they had gyms that catered exclusively to the LGBTQ+ community, I'd feel much more comfortable working out.
They do exist. Most gay neighborhoods have gyms that cater to gay men specifically. Let me just say they have double the cleaning crew bill of a non-gay gym.

I actually prefer using gyms that aren't catered to gays because the dynamics and politics in a gay gym can get very messy. Everyone knows each other (in some capacity). Everyone talks about each other. Even the staff can know your business. It has its perks but it also has its drawbacks, I promise.

And this doesn't even touch on the hypersexuality in gay gyms or the elitism based on physical appearance that can develop. They can be a total mess.

Last edited:
Just bought a bench.
Not me taking a whole month to assemble it.

kirsten_dunst3.gif

But omg the range of motion doing chest presses? 2024 is the year of The Titties!