Exercise

Rmx

He/Him/His
I stopped going to the gym ever since I caught the dengue fever three weeks ago.

I feel less anxious, have been sleeping better, the days go by much faster, I don't spend time thinking about my body/weight... can't recommend it enough!

I'm happy for you! Your message on the previous page had me a bit worried.

Had a bit of pain, turns out my bum needs to be stronger - well hopefully it grows! And… now after some rest and all finally ran without pain again, so that was great. Got 20:14 for 5KM, just need to shave off 15s to be below that 20min mark!

I’m contemplating running my first half marathon next year. I’ve done almost 10 10K races in the last decade and I enjoy running for the most part. I typically can do a 10K in 45 mins. Does anyone have any tips or advice about how best to train and prepare for a half marathon?

I’m contemplating running my first half marathon next year. I’ve done almost 10 10K races in the last decade and I enjoy running for the most part. I typically can do a 10K in 45 mins. Does anyone have any tips or advice about how best to train and prepare for a half marathon?
I think there are some training schemes online that should help you, you can follow those.

With those stats you will be more than fine!

I ran my first half-marathon last year and the longest I had previously ran was 16k.

Go for a 15K run and see how you feel about it. You can also try and add some plyometrics to your workouts.

15K onwards is mostly a mental game and how tiring your legs get. But the adrenaline of the race and the course will definitely give you the extra push to finish.
Shoes and location can also make a big difference. Please avoid those energy gels for the race as they can really upset your stomach.

With those stats you will be more than fine!

I ran my first half-marathon last year and the longest I had previously ran was 16k.

Go for a 15K run and see how you feel about it. You can also try and add some plyometrics to your workouts.

15K onwards is mostly a mental game and how tiring your legs get. But the adrenaline of the race and the course will definitely give you the extra push to finish.
Shoes and location can also make a big difference. Please avoid those energy gels for the race as they can really upset your stomach.
Thank you so much for this! I'm going to try doing a 15k at some point in the summer just to test the waters a bit.. eek! My trainer is always suggesting adding plyometrics to my sessions so I will be doing that for sure too. Good shout on the energey gels, I always see people with them but I have IBD so I have to be mindful of what I consume not to upset my belly.

LTG

he/him
I did a half marathon a couple of weeks ago, having previously just run that far on my own once, this was an actual event. I did about 15 mins quicker. I did three runs a week almost every week from the beginning of the year. Did a 5k, a second run which varied from 6k to 10k and a third run which varied from 10k to 20k.

I've been struck down by plantar fasciitis, rendering all running off the table until it improves and then I have to basically learn to run from scratch with a different strike pattern.

he/him/basic cishomo
I stopped going to the gym ever since I caught the dengue fever three weeks ago.

I feel less anxious, have been sleeping better, the days go by much faster, I don't spend time thinking about my body/weight... can't recommend it enough!
I'm printing this post out and tacking it above my mirror. You're a real one. Are you feeling any better re: the dengue? Because fuck. That's like, a disease mawma.

I'm printing this post out and tacking it above my mirror. You're a real one. Are you feeling any better re: the dengue? Because fuck. That's like, a disease mawma.
After a week of death's grip firmly around my neck at every second I got out of it unscathed, save for a weird metallic/sweet taste when I drank water that lasted for another week. I didn't get the hemorragic variant though so I didn't run any serious risk, as long as I got enough rest and hydration.

The way I casually did a 10k last year and then never ran again........... until this week.

This morning I did a mere 3k (from my house to my sister's ññ) and I was fighting for my life

giphy.gif

Has anyone done StretchLab? I'm thinking of trying them out in-between workouts for, well, stretching and improving flexibility and range of motion. I'm now doing three days of personal training (weights/resistance) and three days of cardio a week and my 40 yr old body hates me.

Does anyone do the Hyrox? We have lessons based on it at our gym and I wanted to join the last one, but will join the match in October! It will be tough.

Does anyone do the Hyrox? We have lessons based on it at our gym and I wanted to join the last one, but will join the match in October! It will be tough.
I did it in November. I trained hard for it but got covid three weeks before which meant I couldn’t train at all until the day itself. I won’t lie, it nearly killed me. I’ll hopefully do it again one day under better circumstances.

Strongly recommend starting with the doubles comp if that’s a possibility.

Isn't Hyrox like Crossfit but with a little run in between exercises? ññ

I want to try both, but my social anxiety (and my home gym) keeps me from joining classes.

When I could run, on a treadmill I started to do interval sprinting (mainly because I get bored) and one of every five minutes I cranked the speed to an all out dash before reverting to a sensible jog for the next four.

It was evil.