Exercise

Today I discovered that I can sorta enjoy running if I get the rhythm right at the beginning and just... continue with it. I tend to sprint from the get-go and trying to maintain that is just a no.

3k a day are more than enough for now.

A question...

How do you guys eat before you go to the gym or exercise?

I ask because I find it difficult to get the timing right. If I eat too much and gym too soon I'm close to bringing everything up (and have done a few times) or I don't eat enough and feel lightheaded.

I go to the gym after work so the day usually goes something like:

0800 - breakfast (oats with yogurt and blueberries/banana)
1230 - lunch (chicken with rice and veg)
1500 - banana
1630 - gym

This usually goes OK, but even then sometimes I feel a bit off.
During squats and deadlifts, my lunch starts to repeat on me and can feel nauseous sometimes.

I'm a stickler for routine, so if I get sidetracked at work and forget to have breakfast or lunch at the right time it throws me off for the whole day and I then start to think about skipping the gym because I worry I won't have enough energy or I'll be going too soon after eating.

I know this doesn’t work for everyone but I tend to go to the gym first thing in the morning without breakfast and then eat a big protein filled breakfast when I’m back.

It truly does depend on your own body. First thing I do in the morning is make a big-ass smoothie before heading to the gym. Sometimes it’s a bit of choking it down, but I find I feel woozy if I try to exert myself on a fast.

I know this doesn’t work for everyone but I tend to go to the gym first thing in the morning without breakfast and then eat a big protein filled breakfast when I’m back.
This works best for me too. Though I go at around 12:30 so my protein food comes after that and is usually my lunch.

This works best for me too. Though I go at around 12:30 so my protein food comes after that and is usually my lunch.
Yeah I used to go to the gym in the evenings after work and found trying to eat around that was difficult and I’d end up feeling sick during my workout. For me, working out on an empty stomach suits me best.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
Not me losing 16 pounds in a month just from my new commute and only taking the stairs up/down during the workday. Choosing to take brisk walks for the sheer hell of it on the weekends too has really helped me get back into a groove after quitting my last job. It feels nice to feel rested in my body again.

How do you guys eat before you go to the gym or exercise?
The most important bit about food around your workout is that you don't feel hungry while working out.

I usually have breakfast, let it digest for an hour and get on with my workout. Unless I'm going for a run, in that case I'd rather not have anything in me ññ

Well guys, finally reached a goal I set myself. I ran 5 KM in 19:55. Of course, almost had to puke right after but what a difference 1K of warm-up makes and a bit of stretching. I did a bit of interval training the day before and no pain, until the end of the day when I was very tired. Glad I made it, now onto the Hyrox and 10K matches.

Just did a 5k for funsies around my house and went up and down a mountain and I can feel my calves pulsing

giphy.gif

Re: eating before the gym, I go around lunchtime and usually have a fat glass of chocolate milk with creatine mixed in beforehand and that's plenty to give me the extra push most days. Having a high protein snack mid-morning once I've been at work for a couple hours has been a game changer too.

I have to dramatically increase the amount of cardio I'm doing and I'm kind of getting sick of my normal playlists. Do y'all have any Spotify playlists you recommend for faster-paced cardio? Especially interested in playlists for...

House music (especially a mix of the classics + more underground stuff)
Disco (same... a mix of classics and more underground)
Dance pop for the gays