Exercise | Page 81 | The Popjustice Forum

Exercise

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by inanotherlife, Feb 9, 2010.

1. The people I know who do CrossFit have literally dedicated their lives to it and like to let everyone know.
    I like to push myself but fear I’d fail in one of those classes.

2. This shouldn’t happen to a beginner in a Crossfit class. If the gym doesn’t have an onboarding process (usually 3 classes per week for 4 weeks), then the coaches should be scaling the weights and reps back to a level that gets your heart rate up, but not super challenging.

If you want to give Crossfit another go, I’d go back and see if that gym has an onboarding process. If they don’t, then I’d be very cautious with movements and weights until you know what your current level is. Be careful though as not all Crossfit gyms are created equal.

Knowing what I know now, I’d be trying another Crossfit gym and would highly recommend going through the onboarding/introductory sessions if they have them. These sessions will show you all of the basic body weight, powerlifting and Olympic lifting movements and also give the coaches an idea of your level of fitness.

Good coaches/Crossfit gyms should be putting your safety and well-being first.

Fantasy and Pop Gaz like this.
  3. Thanks for this! Maybe I'll give Crossfit another go, the last time just turned me off so much.

I probably didn't eat enough before going to the class either to be fair, which is of course vital for a class like that.

4. I've bulked up more than I thought based on the mirror in the gym the other day. However, every time I get one of these little confidence boosts, some trunk-armed Adonis literally manifests from nowhere next to me.

Vasilios and johnny_tsunami like this.
  5. Crossfit is great, I will start again in a few months. No way I'm doing it now though. I need my food and weights.

6. No worries.

Some of these movements are complex, and potentially dangerous if you have poor technique so it's certainly better to back your weights off and focus on good technique first. Being new, you'll hit PRs quite regularly anyway as you learn and get used to everything so you can use it as motivation to continue pushing yourself.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Crossfit and what you should expect as a beginner.

7. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the motivation to get back into the gym?

I started in November and lost over a stone in weight but have only been once in 2018 and have put half the weight back on.

I just can’t seem to find the motivation at all , I keep saying I’ll start again every week but I never do.

I felt better and looked better so that should be the motivation but I just can’t seem to get back into it. I try to eat healthy but only manage a day or two before falling off the wagon.

8. Make a schedule on Sunday, decide when you're going to go there. Follow your schedule. Just go there. Don't overthink what you're going to do once you're there, don't think that you have to stay for an hour.

The endorphines will kick in and work their magic eventually, but the first two-three weeks are kinda rough. Just don't make it seem too daunting - the most important part is actually getting there and doing something.

9. Exactly this. It’s a normal thing that almost everyone goes through. The only answer is to put your head down and get on with it; the magic comes back on it’s own.

10. My motivation is I'm the only person I'm seeing naked these days so it best be a pleasant view.

11. I know some people say "don't exercise for a good looking body, exercise for being HEALTHY" but I just don't buy it.

Seeing my body actually growing muscles and developing is one of the biggest confidence boosts I've ever gotten, and it's fundamentally changed how I carry myself and what I feel comfortable wearing.

12. I think a healthy outlook is to do it for a bit of both. In all honesty I believe it's wired into my brain at least that "healthy" = "attractive". I get a mental boost knowing I have taken time out of my day to do something good for my health, the physical manifestation is ABS.

edit: Also for people less in shape, it can sometimes take a long time, (months) to really see results, so I do believe you can't just grow reliant on the rush of seeing "bigger muscles" to propel you to keep going.

chriscrk likes this.
  13. Skip to 1:33 for probably the only workout video you'll ever need.

14. @KamikazeHeart is 100% correct. Just go.

It may sounds trite but getting through the door is the hard bit once you’re there it’s never remotely as hard or boring as you’ve built it up in your head.

Some kind of goal may be a good idea as well. I have Half Marathon in May and intend to beat my extremely old (And slow) PB. From Monday I’m getting back on the treadmill, plugging my headphones in and just putting one foot in front of the other every single day. It’s really not that hard once you get back into the swing of it.

Rei Ayanami, mcuk, Remorque and 2 others like this.
  15. Just pack a bag and go. If you have your gym clothes and one night you're thinking of going back, pack the bag and the next day if you need to go out, take the bag with you and stop at the gym there.

I literally just went through this and the hardest thing was getting myself there... About a year ago I was doing great progress, but then I got caught up in university work and stopped going (or I went much less). And now that I'm done with that I wanted to go back to the gym, but it was really hard. I struggled for weeks, but 3 days ago I just packed my bag and when I went out, I stopped at the gym and did 30 min cardio. Not much, but it got me there.

And now I've been three days in a row and I feel great. I'm starting slowly but the important thing is just to go, even if it's a little. Slowly you'll get back into it and hopefully keep up.

I got myself a calendar to mark each day I go, to hopefully go at least 6 out of 7 days of the week and visually make sure I'm being consistent.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Baby Clyde and ElectricPlatypus like this.
  16. When I don't go running, I make sure I go to the gym and do a half hour of cardio before going into work.

I sometimes pack two different outfits (the second one I leave behind) and I'll go back in the evening to go do some weight training. I need to really push myself to go out lately, but once I get there I'm always happy I did push through.

chriscrk likes this.
  17. My gym has very few live trainer classes. Instead, they have a big screen playing these 30 minute to an hour workouts videos. At first I scoffed, but actually they're great because it's really consistent. Also hardly anybody goes to them, so I have all this lovely space to myself.

Ceir likes this.
  18. I've been working out regularly for the past 5 and a half years. Lifting has become a true passion. But I really struggle with not using steroids...sometimes I feel so weak/inadequate and I KNOW it's my own body image stuff, but I really want to get as strong as possible. I just don't want to get into the addiction/money pit that the steroid world seems to be. Anyone else struggle with this? How do you all deal?

ElectricPlatypus likes this.
  19. I've really had to just shut out outside influences and focus on not trying to compare to others and just compete with myself. Try and get self esteem from resisting steroids and knowing you are being good to your body--the best you can be--in a natural way. If it's really something that you find you're obsessing over, some kind of counseling might be useful. It all depends on what really motivates your desire for more mass I guess.

johnny_tsunami likes this.
  20. What weights are you hitting if you don't mind me asking? I presume when you say lifting, you mean strict/bench press, front/back squat, deadlift etc.

I've found that I've felt inadequate when I've hit plateaus in my own training. For me it's slightly different because I don't program my own workouts (CrossFit), but whenever I've felt that way, I've always just tried to maintain consistency. Work on technique and maintain the PRs that you currently have and eventually you break through. For me it also probably comes down to the fact that at 5'6", I accepted that I was never going to be able to lift as much as most of the other guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.