Favourite live albums | The Popjustice Forum

Favourite live albums

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by torontodj, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Live albums can be hit or miss, but generally I love them.

I think my favourite is Natalie Cole's live album from 1978. Natalie was at the top of her game and sang the hell out of these songs.

[​IMG]

From the same period, I also love Sylvester's Living Proof, which was proof that disco acts were not just studio creations. Sylvester's live album, like Natalie's, is soulful, great arrangements and backup vocals. Great album.

And Kylie's Intimate and Live album. Love that this captures Kylie at a critical time in her career. Just after Impossible Princess and pre-Light Years. She performs her Impossible Princess songs with her a fair share of hits.

What are your favourite live albums?

upload_2019-2-3_21-5-38.jpeg [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Maybe Intimate & Live is the only live album I love.... but I love it sooooo much tho

The Bextorian and LP like this.
  3. Live in Tokyo Islands Tour 1984 - Kajagoogoo

Not an official release but I bought it from Nick Beggs website back in 2002 and he signed it

Living Ornaments 79, White Noise (Beserker Tour) - Gary Numan

Oil on Canvas - Japan

Toyah toyah toyah, and Warrior Rock - Toyah

Minimum Maximum - Kraftwerk

Eric Generic likes this.
  4. Mariah Carey's MTV Unplugged, peak Mariah vocals. If It's Over is one of my favourite performances ever.

Jacques and LP like this.
  5. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pop3blow2 and andru like this.
  6. LP

LP

Shakira's MTV unplugged is everything.

Robert likes this.
  7. [​IMG]
    Fantastically bombastic, yet also signposting the less-is-more reflective approach they'd take next with Belfast Child. Of course it's said that a lot of it is overdubbed in the studio, but there's no denying its impact. The only Live album I've ever really loved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I came to these Numan live albums late in life; I randomly found two of them cheap in a used store, and thought...why not, they're from his finest era....and I loved '79 so much that I searched online for the missing one of the "trilogy". I'm sort of glad I experienced them as a piece at the same time.

MixmasterRemix and dancevision like this.
  8. Living Ornaments 79 was what got me into Numan

I remember being aged 6 and my Mam taking me around the 2nd hand market in South Shields, I was looking for Adam and the ants records, but I saw the cover of Living Ornaments 79 and I liked the lights on it.

I asked if I could buy it, got home, listened to it and loved the synths and replaced Adam and the ants as my favourite

MixmasterRemix and Eric Generic like this.
  9. They are all magnificent, but '79 especially.

dancevision likes this.
  10. [​IMG]

Two discs of pure pleasure, including typical Tina interaction with the audience, and legendary performances with special guest David Bowie.

The vinyl version features a huge LP-sized glossy "booklet" full of photos and info of her mid 80s European tour. It's all just a wonderful package!

11. Nobody has mentioned Fleetwood Mac's The Dance? Every home should have one, just to hear Lindsey on Big Love is worth every penny.

I normally prefer studio albums, though. Oleta Adams' Going On record (done long before meeting Tears For Fears) is also one live album I spin often.

Edit: I've also always had a strange fascination with Lauryn Hill's Unplugged album.

Eric Generic likes this.
  12. I'm not a huge fan of live albums because I really don't like the crowd noise between songs or when it interrupts the song itself.

Having said that, I do listen to Alanis Morissette's MTV Unplugged album regularly, mostly because of "No Pressure Over Cappuccino" and the cover of "King of Pain", and Kate Bush's Before The Dawn which I like because the audience isn't too noticeable. I believe a lot of post-production work went into this, so it's not quite live but more like "as live", but also having been there one night the audience were very quiet when it seemed necessary anyway.

I also have two Nerina Pallot live albums that I enjoy. The Live from Union Chapel EP - mostly because I was there when it was recorded and it includes a lovely cover of "Moments of Pleasure" by Kate Bush performed after the Before The Dawn shows that Nerina had seen weeks prior. I remember Nerina's comments about Kate that night and related to them because I'd also seen Kate just a few weeks earlier. I often tie the two experiences together in my mind; and Stay Lucky: Live At RAK Studios which includes no audience noise because of the way it was recorded live in-studio rather than in concert.

I also enjoy Sufjan Steven's Carrie and Lowell Live - mostly because I loved the the album it's supporting, and the emotion of him performing these songs live is breathtaking at times. The live production is awesome too and that's difficult to resist!

iamamiwhomai also have two live albums that I like, particularly Concert In Blue, again because of the way they were staged there's no audience noise.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Eric Generic likes this.
  13. YES! I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the thread question.

Nearly the whole of her best studio album reinterpreted an performed live. So so good.

upload_2019-2-12_2-0-41.jpeg

LP likes this.
  14. I really like Kylie's Showgirl Homecoming album. The music was fantastic on that show.

15. LP

LP

The DVD is spectacular too. As a non spanish speaker- I was finally able to read her lyrics and I laminated my stan card.

Robert likes this.
  16. Certainly was, a perfect concert tour for Kylie. I'd say that's my favourite live album too.

Adora Day likes this.
  17. Confessions Tour
    Minimum-Maximum
    Alive 2007

All amazing!

18. I have a super soft spot for this one:

cd-cover.jpg

It was the first live album I ever bought with my own money. I grew up in house with a lot of Carly 45's, so it was probably a safe purchase when I made it. I was like 10 or 11 & just starting to buy some of my own music with allowance money, etc. I was like, 'Oh, this is a great! A cheap way to get a bunch of favorite Carly Simon songs on one cassette!"

There's nothing particularly groundbreaking or special about the overall album... except the version of Coming Around Again which is coupled with a children's choir singing Itsy Bitsy Spider as a counter medley. It's still the definitive version of that song for me. I think it's the reason I'm a sucker for kids choirs in pop songs today (I'm looking at you Vanessa Carlton, Sound Of Arrows, & Fleetwood Mac.)

Most of the versions of her other hits on here on pretty strong performances. Some of the applause & crowd stuff seems fakey or edited-in in some places for effect. I even noticed this as a kid & was like WTF? Haha. There's almost no talk between songs. I don't if it was edited out or she just didn't talk to crowd. Interesting to note, that this is her only live album ever.

Eric Generic likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.