Films About Boys Who Love Boys | Page 45 | The Popjustice Forum

Films About Boys Who Love Boys

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Jono, Jul 24, 2009.

1. I watched Call Me blabla today.

Loved it, duh.

And that ending with the closeup while the credits rolled... damn.

2. The moment my emotions went from a respectable welling of tears to complete and total sobbing.

andru likes this.
  3. American hunties really should watch My Beautiful Launderette. It's tender like Call Me By Your Name.

And Daniel Day Lewis really just goes for it. Fucking hot beast.

londonrain, Conan and andru like this.
  4. Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar / Don't Ever Wipe Tears Without Gloves really is terrific. Jonas Gardell who wrote both the script and the books that the series is based on has also written another series series called De Halvt Dolda. It's very easy to find online with subtitles. I don't know how well translated it is, but I highly recommend it. It's not as gay focused as Don't Ever Wipe Tears Without Gloves, but it's damn good TV.

WowWowWowWow and phoenix123 like this.
  5. I watched God's Own Country a few weeks ago and it's like the anti-Call Me by Your Name. It just feels so barren and harsh where CMBYN feels so lush and erotic but still, it's so beautiful and romantic when it wants to be. And by God, the Romanian guy is drop dead gorgeous. Recommended.

6. I really enjoyed God's Own Country too, despite the lead actually being a bit of a git (purhaps understandably), and yes, the Romanian guy! Swoons!

WowWowWowWow and johnoclock like this.
  7. Bedrooms & Hallways (1998) deserves a place on that list.

8. This is amazing! So many to catch up on!

I would add "Heartstone" (2016) from Iceland, i think it was mentioned a few pages back, but its an fantastic movie.

phoenix123 likes this.
  9. It's there! Hjartasteinn I try to use the original language. Will check it out thanks!

chris4862 likes this.
  10. This was 90 years ago.

Lovely.

11. I watched both The Pass & Soft Lad today and enjoyed both.

londonrain likes this.
  12. Very excited for this. If I'm being honest, visually it looks a bit CW but I am elated there will be a mainstream teen movie about a gay person. I hope it's a massive success.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Jeffo and He like this.
  13. Same here. To be honest, I'm expecting it to be cute but not a masterpiece, but it's great to see such a mainstream-style movie about a gay kid. Kind of like how a lot of the current string of female-fronted crude humor comedies can vary wildly in quality, but all the same, they're normalizing the idea of female-led movies in a genre that's typically dominated by males.

johnoclock likes this.
  14. Why are you trying to murder me with emotion and tears?

15. The thing for me about Love, Simon is that yes.. it's cute that there's a mainstream marketed movie about a gay teen coming out.

But do we really need another movie where a conventionally attractive, seemingly upper middle class white kid has an "oh my god i have a secret" moment about his homosexuality. It's kind of been done before. But, the movie doesn't look bad and I do enjoy that it looks like the love interest(s) could be POC.

16. I’m rewatching Weekend. Tom Cullen is it.

andru, eddy2375, sometimesxtc and 5 others like this.
  17. Lucky Tatiana Maslany eh?

pdf, stuaw and WowWowWowWow like this.
  18. Finally watched Call Me. I was not prepared for the credits scene or the father's speech.

19. Just finished the book it’s based on... had me a blubbering wreck. Surprisingly ‘raw’ for a YA book, so it’ll be interesting to see if the film keeps its edges.

It’s also refreshingly progressive - gayness is presented as a non-issue for the gay people themselves.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  20. ^ Just downloaded the audiobook so looking forward to that!

roborovsky likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.