Films About LGBTQIA+ People

Just finished All Of Us Strangers, I’m a wreck. I had no idea of the plot and was completely taken off guard by all of the elements. The scenes with the father really hit home, having lost mine this year. Had to pause it twice.

It was all so well written and performed. It was really beautiful at times but like many of you said, very bleak and heartbreaking. I wouldn’t be in a rush to put myself through that again but happy I saw it. I imagine it would be a great stage play too.

It was brilliant, such suspense when Jules was around Preston’s friends. Lots of moments I could relate to as well as a Fem boy who is often attracted to masc, often straight guys. The ending was really sad, it’s like they had switched roles

I watched All Of Us Strangers last night. It was good but it wasn't the home run I was expecting. Andrew Scott was incredible and sold every single scene he was in, but I felt like the overall premise was a bit muddled. I understand in the book he's dying, so all the "hallucinations/ghosts" would make a bit more sense, as he's sort of coming to terms with all his grief at the end of his life. I kept trying to work out what we going on, so I couldn't get truly lost in the plot.

Plus I feel like it took out the emotional weight of some scenes, especially the goodbye to his parents one. I kept thinking "why now? Why's this happening?". It almost felt a tad Disney, and too much wish-fulfilment, if they'd emphasised he was dying, it would have hit a bit harder for me, plus would have made a bit more sense.

I watched All Of Us Strangers last night. It was good but it wasn't the home run I was expecting. Andrew Scott was incredible and sold every single scene he was in, but I felt like the overall premise was a bit muddled. I understand in the book he's dying, so all the "hallucinations/ghosts" would make a bit more sense, as he's sort of coming to terms with all his grief at the end of his life. I kept trying to work out what we going on, so I couldn't get truly lost in the plot.

Plus I feel like it took out the emotional weight of some scenes, especially the goodbye to his parents one. I kept thinking "why now? Why's this happening?". It almost felt a tad Disney, and too much wish-fulfilment, if they'd emphasised he was dying, it would have hit a bit harder for me, plus would have made a bit more sense.
I watched this on Saturday and I went into it expecting to love it...but I didn't. There were some really touching moments (the scene with Adam and his Dad alone in the house - oof- I'm sure many can relate to some of those emotions) and each individual perfomance was excellent, but it just didn't hit as hard as I was expecting. Perhaps it was because the 'twist' was pretty obvious?!

“Of An Age” is a great Aussie film set (mostly) in 1999 about a brief relationship between two men who then reconnect many years later. Beautifully made and set in the deep burbs of Melbourne I grew up in… I found the whole thing very touching and occasionally devastating. It’s done quite well over awards season here too.

I totally hear what you're saying. That said, I actually really liked the ambiguity -- it wasn't a puzzle for me to solve -- but possibly a mix of dream and reality, consciousness and subconsciousness.

This will probably be an unpopular opinion but I watched both Femme and All of Us Strangers in the past couple of days and Femme for me was without a doubt the stronger, better film.

Femme is objectively a really creative, disturbing and nerve-wracking entry into queer cinema - that said, in addition to this, Nathan Stewart-Jarrett and George MacKay ELEVATE it into emotionally-draining territory where you simultaneously cannot look and also want some sort of a happy ending for the characters.

Where were THEIR nominations at the major awards ceremonies (I guess they’ll always have BIFA)…